Austin CC 2022 in Devlopment

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Re: Austin CC 2022 in Devlopment

Post by Adelade »

Course completed and uploaded. Edit: Course available at https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2733

All the info will be in the readme, but I'll paste the brief course introduction and show the full-sized versions of the screenshots.

Austin Country Club is a real, hybrid hill, creek and seaside course located right beside the Colorado River in Austin, Texas, USA. The current layout was designed in 1984 by Peter Dye (renovated in 2015) and has hosted the WGC Match Play championship of the main PGA Tour ever since 2016. Even if the course might not play all that difficult overall in Links (depending on your settings, of course), as you might guess, it is very well suited for match play, featuring a lot of high-risk-high-reward holes with plenty of water and other significant hazards in play.

Austin Screenshot H11.jpg
Austin Screenshot H11.jpg (863.57 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Austin Screenshot H3.jpg
Austin Screenshot H3.jpg (892.73 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Austin Screenshot H16.jpg
Austin Screenshot H16.jpg (777.95 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Austin Screenshot H9.jpg
Austin Screenshot H9.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1872 times

Thank you again to John Brooks for introducing me to this course. Also thank you Jeff Shillings (aka TexAgs), Leo (aka Gator), Ian Wells, Weeler and Pete (aka pmgolf) for the helpful alpha and/or beta testing. A lot of other people helped with this project in various ways, see the 'Thank you' section in the readme for them all.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Pete

Post by Pete »

Many thanks, nice work :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Beautiful course, Adelade. Fun to play at faster challenging speeds, too! Many thanks!

Pete
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

It was fun to see this course take shape during both alpha and beta testing. And now to see and play the completed project is very enjoyable. I like the
layout of the course ( even though that was Mr. Dye's handiwork ), but you brought it to life for Links. Thanks for another REAL course to play !!

Ron, "Weeler"
MrT

Post by MrT »

Just played a round of "speed golf" on this new course in 23 minutes (using gimmes within 12 inches and I had 7 of those). I had 30 minutes in between two meetings.

I scored EVEN (with 1 Mulligan, since the mouse hit the speaker and one shot was botched in RTS). My quick experience is definitely positive:
- despite using M/Fc, these greens can be played faster than that. In fact, if anything, the greens felt a bit slower than expected.
- used all difficult pins. Did not come across any "absurd" pin placement in the entire game. There was some challenge for difficult settings tend to be very close to edges of greens, but all felt fair.
- The playing is exciting and I got several birdies and several bogeys. The landscape is pretty. The bridge adds a new elements compared to other courses.
- Fairways felt a bit slow.
- All in all: a good experience and did not need to swear a lot or worse.

A quick question:
- What are the major changes vs. the Austin CC World Matchplay 2021 ? I have not played that course in a while and today did not have time to play both.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thanks for all comments.

MrT wrote: July 28th, 2022, 7:49 pmWhat are the major changes vs. the Austin CC World Matchplay 2021 ? I have not played that course in a while and today did not have time to play both.
To clarify just in case - this new version is made from scratch, not an update of the 2021 version. As for the main differences, some people might give different answers based on perspective, but I would personally say the biggest differences are that the elevations, both overall and on the greens, are more accurate in this new version, and that the ground textures visually are all different.

The fairways dont play any slower than the fairways on any other course for Links 2003, that depends entirely on the user's green firmness and speed settings (though them all tend to be fairly slow compared to real life in terms of fairways, IMO), but in some situations perhaps certain fairway undulations can make them seem slow.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
MrT

Post by MrT »

Adelade wrote: July 28th, 2022, 9:56 pm Thanks for all comments.

MrT wrote: July 28th, 2022, 7:49 pmWhat are the major changes vs. the Austin CC World Matchplay 2021 ? I have not played that course in a while and today did not have time to play both.
............... As for the main differences, some people might give different answers based on perspective, but I would personally say the biggest differences are that the elevations, both overall and on the greens, are more accurate in this new version, and that the ground textures visually are all different.
More accurate sounds fantastic. Accuracy is very important to a mathematician. :thumbup: Just played it again: - 5... I would not say it is a difficult course, but it plays nicely.. I enjoy the river with the boat.
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Thank you for contributing this course. It is a clear improvement to the earlier version Austin CC World Matchplay 2021 available here on Links Corner. After playing yours, I looked at the holes on that one in practice mode (just did Next Hole x18) for comparison. I prefer the realism of this new version. And it certainly is a giant step above what the course looks like in Tiger Woods PGA Tour game: http://coursedownloads.com/coursesource ... sp?id=9403

FWIW, my score on the round I played on Austin CC 2022 was -2 (6 birdies + eagle) and that included a +4 7 on the 11th hole. =:-o