Kauri Cliffs v2 - Lost Course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Kauri Cliffs v2 - Lost Course

Post by Adelade »

Here and there for the past year or so, I've been exploring the possibility of perhaps finding and completing a certain updated version of Kauri Cliffs that Lindsay Addie and Pat Auge worked on around 2009-2010, which was never fully finished or published. I have now managed to reach both Pat Auge and Lindsay Addie, sadly they both told me they no longer have the file, so it is probably lost forever :sad: As a final measure while realistically giving up on this course, I thought I may as well post about it here just for the unlikely possibility of someone else having a version of the course. Lindsay Addie told me I could modify the course/file as I wish, if an unlocked version somehow could be found.

I dont know too much about the original project, but I found out about it from old blog posts at the old APCD blog site http://crzbuilders.blogspot.com/ (inactive since 2010), and from the posts it sounds like it was a substantially new version, the pictures sadly dont display anymore, but I have a feeling it was a really nice version. Such a shame that it was never finished, and now most likely forever lost. I sort of like the Microsoft version of the course, the layout and setting is rather fantastic, but Im really not a fan of the stock textures, so it is difficult for me to enjoy that one. I was really excited at the thought of perhaps getting to finish this course of theirs, and I bet a lot of the community would have loved to see it too, but it looks like it is a dead end :sad:

I can be reached at ade89lade@hotmail.com
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Duck Hook

Re: Kauri Cliffs v2 - Lost Course

Post by Duck Hook »

I hope you have some luck here. It is indeed an awesome course.. :thumbup:
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Adelade, I have three versions of Kauri Cliffs. I have the Microsoft version and two versions by Lindsay Addie and Pat Auge one of the versions is locked but I have one that is not locked which is an HD version, is this the version you require. This file is called Kauri_master_may5b.crz
You can download it here if this is the course you need. https://www.tigercats-golf.club/files/kauricliffs.zip
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Daniel wrote: October 21st, 2021, 11:09 am You can download it here if this is the course you need. https://www.tigercats-golf.club/files/kauricliffs.zip
Thanks for that, the version I have is about 68MB in size.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Wow Daniel! I didnt actually have any real hope of anyone having something! This is amazing! :clapping:

I have checked it out a bit already, enough for me to be able to say that I will finish this course :smile: I think I will pause other projects for it. Might take a couple months or a few, we'll see, I still havent fully assessed all the things that still need to be done.

It has no seamblending yet, so thats the main thing. Hole Previews also need to be made. There are no sounds yet (though Im not sure what to do with that, any New Zealand or sound expert able to help or offer advise?). Some mesh / sharp edge cleaning to be done. Probably no crowds yet. Some other minor stuff. 2D planting I assume is all finished. Pano is gorgeous. It is a big file around 200 MB, already before Seamblending, but Im very pleased to see that it loads relatively fast in APCD for such a big file, that is a huge relief. I also spot plenty opportunities to decrease the texture load without losing quality. Textures themselves look really pretty IMO and are going to shine so much more after seamblending. Im surprised (and extremely happy) to see that the clubhouse seems to be finished, along with plenty 3D work. I see some 3D-in-progress off the side of the plot though, hmm Im not sure if I will know how to finish those, will have to investigate that further, but I was honestly hoping to avoid doing any 3D work. I may end up skipping such things unless they're significant to the setting, or compromise with simpler 2D. All the bridges seem completed, at least all the obvious ones. The fences mentioned in one of the old blog posts dont seem to be there, those I could do with 3D objects, but I wonder if Im able to figure out where those should be.....

It clearly was a big effort by the two of them and it feels great that it will now finally see the completion / official upload that it deserves. I really want to make the course justice and finish it as properly and as according to surmised original intent as I can, and I will definitely try to do so in all areas to the best of my ability in order to honour their work on this course, but Lindsay Addie did tell me I could modify it as I wished, so if some unfinished 3D work turns out to be too much for me, Im not gonna feel too bad about it and publish it anyway. I foresee enough work for me to include myself as a listed designer alongside the two of them, but the course should always be considered by far mostly theirs, and I hope you all will join me in celebrating their excellent work, by enjoying the course when it is finished :cheers1:

If anyone is curious about the course without wanting to download it until it is finished, here is a screenshot:
Kauri Cliffs HD pic0.jpg
Kauri Cliffs HD pic0.jpg (412.35 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
chad

Post by chad »

...and hole handicap assignments :thumbup:
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Very glad it was what you were looking for Adelade. Hope to see and play it when you have finished it.Good Luck.Daniel
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Daniel I sent you a private message earlier.
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Looking forward to this release! Seriously.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

chad wrote: October 21st, 2021, 7:09 pm ...and hole handicap assignments :thumbup:
This scorecard is in meters, but it has the hole handicaps. :smile:
KauriCliffs.jpg
KauriCliffs.jpg (134.9 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
Pete