Nine Bridges at Jeju Island - Final Release

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Nine Bridges at Jeju Island - Final Release

Post by Adelade »

Nine Bridges at Jeju Island has been completed and uploaded as a final release (v1.00) to Links Corner :kicking: [Edit: Course available here: https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2676 ] See its Readme for a lot of extra info, but I wanted to post the Acknowledgements here as well. And I figure I may as well post the Course Notes for the download page too (which are mostly copied from the first part of the Readme), so you can read those while waiting for the course to become available (if you wish to).

Nine Bridges at Jeju Island is a real mountain course on Jeju Island of South Korea, designed by Ronald Fream and David Dale. It is commonly regarded as one of the very best golf courses in Asia, and was ranked 41st best golf course in the whole world (including American courses!) by Golf Magazine in 2017. It hosted the main PGA Tour at the CJ CUP in 2017, 2018 and 2019, and hopefully will return as a venue soon - which really would be deserved considering how highly regarded the course itself is.

Screenshot intermission -

H5 5.jpg
H5 5.jpg (258.28 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
H9 2.jpg
H9 2.jpg (261.41 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
H6 3.jpg
H6 3.jpg (196.22 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
H10.jpg
H10.jpg (274.57 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
H11 2.jpg
H11 2.jpg (227.35 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
H7.jpg
H7.jpg (234.72 KiB) Viewed 5007 times

Since choosing this course, I have really fallen in love with it, and I am so pleased to present to you something as rare (even unique?) as a great real Asian course, both famous and fit for PGA pro play. Even quite a unique setting in terms of geology and vegetation in the surroundings too. I hope you'll enjoy your "vacation" to Jeju Island. Be sure to turn on the hole previews if you like trivia.

As for the type of layout - Although there are a few notable exceptions, fairways are mostly generous and pretty easy to hit - as long as you read the many height differences correctly and play wisely at least. So even with the heavy rough, for a PGA course it must be said that it is on the easy side. That is, if played with gentle conditions! The real life setting often features rather windy days and the course was designed with that in mind, so be sure to grab a taste of that sometime for the full authentic experience. A famous piece of history for the course is how Justin Thomas went -9 on day one in the 2017 CJ Cup, and then won the whole tournament after day four at the same -9 score. The wind picked up after the first day, is what happened.

I also very highly recommend a large rate of difficult pins (unless playing on windy maybe), because on every single hole they have this wonderful way of bringing out the excellent strategic design to its most brilliant level, much more so than the easier pins. Rest assured that all difficult pins are comfortably enjoyable on Fc/Fc (and all other pins too) (but don’t mistake that to mean that they mostly are on easy slopes), and no pins are closer to fringes than 9 feet (on most greens the lowest is 10 feet). Greens are often made up of several different distinctive sections, where missing the correct one likely leads to extra tricky recoveries, especially if ending up in one of the many bunkers featuring steep revetted faces. I recommend M/Fc for green settings. Even if the setting probably isn’t ideal for producing really fast or firm greens, the course is famous for being very well kept.

Please do let me know what you think about the course, I welcome all types of feedback (though the constructive type is as always, the most appreciated one), and I am always looking for ways to improve and please as many Linksters as possible for future courses, there is no need to hold back as long as you try to be polite about things. Even minor things. I mean it.

While I have nothing to do with the design of the layout itself, I would love to hear what people think of that and how it plays too (if you don’t like it that's fine - be honest!)

I would also absolutely LOVE to be sent any recorded rounds on this course, at least if your scoring is within realistic numbers (double digits under par feels really silly to me) (but don’t spoil your score!), and especially if playing on realistic conditions (please let me know which wind, firmness and speed you used).

For anyone playing from the Back or Ladies tees, (and without the pro distance mod), if you manage to drive the 14th green without mulligans - please record the shot and send it or post on LC! Maybe even with mulligans. I'm curious if it is possible in Links, I'm thinking probably, but it should be very hard and might require a very rare wind direction. Best I did with a few mulligans was still over 10 yards away from the green-edge I think, but I don’t think I had ideal conditions.

--Things that may be nice to note before playing--
-All areas marked as "vegetation" - which includes all forest and creek areas - play as drop hazards. Think of them as your ball being lost. Ideally Links would have better drop rules, but since it doesn’t, I believe this is the best way (and probably closest to how it is in real life too). Keep in mind that you can always choose to rehit from last location if Links gives you a silly drop area. Mostly the vegetation isn't very close to the main play areas though, so there is not too much to worry about.
-Back tees are based on the most recent PGA tees, Mid tees are based on real-life Blue tees, Fwd based on real-life White tees, Jun based on real-life Yellow tees, and the real-life Red Ladies tees were skipped in favour of having the Ladies tees in Links being an alternate PGA setup (mainly, to enable the alternate tee direction on hole 7, which I believe the PGA used on at least one of their days last time).
-Aside from my recommendation of using a high rate of pins marked as difficult, if you want to play using the 2019 CJ Cup pins, select all #0 for day 1, #1 for day 2, #2 for day 3 and #3 for day 4.
-Also, here is a custom set of pins that I think play really well, without being too difficult (same ones that I used for the recorded round), often utilizing the toughest and most "interesting" green sections, but the easier pins within those sections. I would call them "medium-difficult" overall:
1 14 1 3 16 11 1 0 0 - 13 1 10 3 17 11 13 1 9
-If you want an extra tough challenge...... try:
17 2 17 1 17 0 17 2 17 - 17 17 17 17 17 17 17 17 16
-If you want to experience the surrounding landscape as accurate as possible, it is recommended that you play on one of the two highest settings for "Picture Quality" in Links' Graphics settings. Otherwise, a significant surrounding hill may not be visible from tee on a couple holes. That said, I have checked a little bit on the lower settings and didn’t see anything too silly.
-The course may possibly look its best with shadows turned off and skies that aren’t too sunny, but I personally play with shadows on and sometimes sunny skies, and I think it looks fine then too.
-I recommend considering trying the course with different view settings. On many holes the rolling elevations are experienced best with the close-up cam. For example, on the second shot on 8th hole, the close-up cam reveals the characteristic infinity green as experienced in real life (perhaps depending on exactly where you end up from tee). Whereas on some other holes you get nicer far vistas of the landscapes such as the creeks, water hazards and freeform bunkers with the panoramic cam.

See ReadMe for more info, including instructions for how to use the attached recorded round, acknowledgements, a statement about sharing of APCD resources, and contact info.
Last edited by Adelade on September 14th, 2021, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Re: Nine Bridges at Jeju Island - Final Release

Post by Adelade »

Acknowledgements deserve a post on their own :smile:

--Big THANKS to--
-Various designers who generously gave me permission to use textures or objects from their course/s or other sources, some through private contact and others publicly:
Textures: Lez Marwick, Dan DeShaney, McCoist, Links Corner public downloads, Tim Boche.
Alpha textures: McCoist, Lez Marwick, Peter Beckwith (through Links Corner public download), Paul Seaman (through Links Corner public download), Stewart Parker, Thomas Wagner.
2D Objects: Tim Boche, McCoist, Thomas Wagner, Links Corner public downloads (Daniel, AusPack, Colin Jones), Stewart Parker, Lez Marwick, Derrick Summers, Dan DeShaney, LeWAW.
(Note that ALL those textures and 2d objects (and many of the alpha textures) found on my course are versions I have since edited to suit my course.)
-Beta testers Jeff Shillings (aka TexAgs), Leo (aka Gator), Ian Wells and Jimbo. All of whom beta tested much more than I could have asked for, for which I am very, very grateful. Many great suggestions on final touches. Extra thank you to TexAgs who helped with a bunch of testing before the beta as well.
-My previous beta testers too, since beta testing in many cases also helps with future courses. Plus anyone who gave feedback about my final releases.
-Paul Seaman's APCD text guide.
-Dan DeShaney's 3D tutorial.
-Leo aka gator, for his help in various random pursuits related to Links or APCD.
-Dan DeShaney and Ian Wells, both of whom I've enjoyed plenty insightful and enjoyable APCD back-and-forth discussions with.
-Links Corner website and admins, for hosting all the courses and the LC forum.
My biggest thank you has to go to the following two special places though, thank you so much:
-Lez Marwick, whose Youtube videos have been absolutely invaluable!
-The Links community as a whole. For keeping the game alive, for members kindly continuing to share knowledge, resources and interest in innumerous separate helpful instances. It is impossible to mention everyone, you know who you are. If Links Corner hadn't been around, I wouldn't even have been able to get Links working 3 years ago when I returned... Thank you everyone who has ever played Links or designed any course for it, thereby contributing to me getting to finish this (somewhat exhausting, yet) enjoyable course project. Extra thank you to those still being active to this day and anyone reading this.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Pete

Post by Pete »

Looking forward to it Adelade, many thanks :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

:cheers1: :kicking: :cheers1:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

This looks OUTSTANDING....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage...... :smile: :cheers1: :smile: :cheers1: :smile: :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Well done Adelade! :notworthy: I haven't played a full serious round of Links since my pard died, but I will record a round for you on this course. First I have to decide what swing to use. I would like to go back to powerstroke, but it's been 19 years and I would have to test it and see how it works with this particular mouse. Also, please be patient. It may take me a while to get it to you, but I will eventually do it.. :thumbup:

Nice work,

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

Looking forward to it Adelade, many thanks
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Getting message not found on this server when trying to download
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I thought that I was lucky enough to be chosen as a Beta tester, but it was complete and utter waste of my time!

I was really bored after two rounds. There were no mistakes to find! :wallbash: How is it possible to play 36 holes of golf on a Beta version of a course and not have a criticism? I hate you for making the building of a course in APCD look so simple. :rant:

Adelade,
A wonderful course, beautifully executed. Well done :tiphat:

Here's to your next one :cheers1:

Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

This is what I'm getting:

"Not Found"

"The requested URL /C2013f/2676.zip was not found on this server."

Help!

Pete