Nine Bridges at Jeju Island - Final Release

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
mccoist

Re: Nine Bridges at Jeju Island - Final Release

Post by mccoist »

The course looks really good
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Adelade wrote: September 17th, 2021, 4:55 pm ... with many minor changes to the course done in the last few years here and there.
One of those changes appears to be the greenside bunkering on #8. Here is what it looked like in 2007:
Jeju8.jpg
Jeju8.jpg (101.76 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Adelade mentioned bunker shots in a previous post. Are there golfers in Links that might sometimes chip from the bunkers? If so what criteria is used to decide chipping out is better than the typical ordinary sand explosion shot? Thinking back in time when played real golf might have done so at times when good lie and pretty close to front edge of bunker and there was no bunker lip to contend with. Might have used 7 iron in chipping to make sure did not undercut as if sand was soft---would have been real easy to hit fat when in this case blading the ball at least allows shot to roll.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thank you everyone for comments :smile: really helps with motivation for future courses for designers when people show (any kind of) interest.
migolfer wrote: September 18th, 2021, 1:31 pm
Adelade wrote: September 17th, 2021, 4:55 pm ... with many minor changes to the course done in the last few years here and there.
One of those changes appears to be the greenside bunkering on #8. Here is what it looked like in 2007:
Jeju8.jpg
As long as you keep in mind that is the 17th hole :thumbup: (8th on Highland nine), but yeah, in particular bunkers have seen many changes, with more and more of them receiving steep faces. It is very possible that more changes have been made during 2020 and 2021 which I am not aware of, since most available material is from 2019 or earlier, but nothing major revealed from above on satellite images that I've seen.

I played along with your round, I see a few others downloaded it as well so I'll avoid spoilers, but I enjoyed it greately! :clapping: Always very interesting to see what choices people make, especially from the tees on the tricky tee-shot holes. I particularly liked your excellent tee shot on 4th, but I very much enjoyed watching all your shots. I was thinking I myself would be happy to break par at all with the brutal pins, but I had one of my best days ever with the snap. If being generous and counting the one hole where I ended up on the fringe, I somehow hit all 18 greens in regulation! That is extremely rare for me, I think I average around 65% on all courses in total. Naturally helps that I almost know this course as well as the back of my hand by now, but I've still never had anywhere near that high on this course before. Thank you so much for sending the round :smile:

dgrobo2000 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 9:50 pm Hi, I have encountered a problem with the course file for Nine Bridges at Jeju Island disappearing after playing the course a few times. Anybody have advice on this problem.
:scared: I think it is just you...? See pmgolf's response. Hope the course isnt haunted!

Weeler wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:36 pm I'll have to admit that ,in general, I haven't paid much attention to Asian courses. I'm not sure why, since there are several that definitely merit a good, close look. That's why I was a bit surprised by the topography and vegetation when I first played Nine Bridges. I think I was expecting more of a Vietnamese or Cambodian looking terrain, instead of heavily pine- forested hills and mountains. Instead more low-lying and having some tropical plantings. ( Guess that reveals how little I know about Pacific rim geography ).
Yeah Asia is big :thumbup: Down at sea level Jeju Island is a little bit more "tropical" looking, but its still much further north than south-east Asia.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

gene_golf wrote: September 19th, 2021, 8:47 pm Are there golfers in Links that might sometimes chip from the bunkers? If so what criteria is used to decide chipping out is better than the typical ordinary sand explosion shot? Thinking back in time when played real golf might have done so at times when good lie and pretty close to front edge of bunker and there was no bunker lip to contend with. Might have used 7 iron in chipping to make sure did not undercut as if sand was soft---would have been real easy to hit fat when in this case blading the ball at least allows shot to roll.
I do!
Last May, I offered this as a "shot tip" in this forum post: Discussions>Playing Links>Shot Tips:
see my comments there

viewtopic.php?p=10205#p10205
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Adelade wrote: September 19th, 2021, 10:09 pm Thank you everyone for comments :smile: really helps with motivation for future courses for designers when people show (any kind of) interest.
terrific, anything to keep you all motivated works for me! It is incredible all these years later (I started on Links '98) there are still courses available of this quality. I'll never grow tired of this game and contributions (FREE! no less) of this caliber. #ty

I have a course in mind that I may start this winter. My first attempt only received lukewarm approval, I hope to do better if I can, this is not easy. =:-o
Adelade wrote: September 19th, 2021, 10:09 pm I played along with your round, I see a few others downloaded it as well so I'll avoid spoilers, but I enjoyed it greately! :clapping: Always very interesting to see what choices people make, especially from the tees on the tricky tee-shot holes. I particularly liked your excellent tee shot on 4th, but I very much enjoyed watching all your shots. I was thinking I myself would be happy to break par at all with the brutal pins, but I had one of my best days ever with the snap. If being generous and counting the one hole where I ended up on the fringe, I somehow hit all 18 greens in regulation! That is extremely rare for me, I think I average around 65% on all courses in total. Naturally helps that I almost know this course as well as the back of my hand by now, but I've still never had anywhere near that high on this course before. Thank you so much for sending the round :smile:
Oh, that's awesome you enjoyed that game play. I play at Pro level so it gets easy after a while. I think I need to step up to faster greens, more wind speed, maybe even Champ (last time I tried it I was completely humiliated, LOL)

Glad you had a good round motivated by some competition. Some of my best real game rounds have been under pressure from playing in amateur (handicapped) tournaments and such. Kind of like how PGA Tour pros feed off each other -- when one player does well, the other tends to too (similarly when they play poorly).
Whitehouse Dragon

Post by Whitehouse Dragon »

Terrific rendition Adelade. Thank you so much for your dedicated work and making this quality championship course available. I've been playing at Champ level for a few months now and had a crack at the medium to difficult pin positions as per your suggestion. Also to mod/fast (ch) greens with Breezy conditions. Found the round somewhat grueling which I had imagined it would be. I confess to using top cam for spotting my aim.... ( I close it and then reset aim and adjust for draw or fade)... and had a look at pin and reverse landing cams for shots to the green to get a feel for the dimensions). I know this might be gaining an advantage but then feel well the pros and caddies go around in practice and take detailed notes for use.....Unfortunately I have not been able to work out how to record a round, had tried.... anyway came in at 1 under with bogeys at 4,9 (slice and got stuck in the rough with a scramble for bogey), 10 and 13 (3 putt from 31 yards from the far left fringe) ... with birdies at 3, 11, 12 (on the green in 2 with a driver and 5 wood, missing the 19 foot putt for eagle), 14 and 17 (with a putt under 3 foot)... was very happy with the round... managed to scramble about 50% with par saves and about 4 fairways missed... putting was marginally under 2 for GIR... found the greens quite challenging but fair... can see why winning the CJ Cup here is an achievement. Thank you for a brilliant re-creation.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Whitehouse Dragon wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 8:47 am Unfortunately I have not been able to work out how to record a round
Hi Whitehouse...

Recording a round is fairly simple. Here's what you need to do...

Start Links. At the first screen, select "PLAY GOLF"...

At the second screen select "NEW ROUND"...

At the 3rd screen, enter all of the "COURSE, OPTIONS, RULES, & CONDITIONS" parameters and click NEXT...

On the next screen, enter your player and then click the "RECORD" button.
rec.jpg
rec.jpg (271.9 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
Next click "BEGIN PLAY"... (NOTE) You may get a message that mulligans and gimmes are not allowed during a recorded round. That is normal.

That's it. When the round is over, it will ask you to save it. Give it a name and you're done.

Good luck and enjoy,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Whitehouse Dragon

Post by Whitehouse Dragon »

Thanks Danny. Cheers.
dgrobo2000

Post by dgrobo2000 »

I have recently played a 4 round tournament with large crowds on Jeju Island. I encountered an issue with floating crowds behind the 8th green. Even though, I enjoyed the challenge of this spectacular links design.