Sherwood Country Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Re: Sherwood Country Club

Post by Adelade »

This is just my view, but -
As a player, I'd much rather have no sound than overdone obnoxious sounds that many courses out there are somewhat ruined by. I know you can turn off ambient sounds or turn them down but I dont like having to do that for individual courses - often I forget to turn it on/up afterwards and then get annoyed a few rounds later when I realize I've been missing out on the sounds on the other courses that do have them set at good levels, so in the end I gravitate towards not playing the overdone-sound courses much.

Finding that sweetspot of perfect volume levels (and frequency of the sounds being played too, for that matter) can be very tricky (especially since I have had experiences with the APCD volume settings not seeming to work! (viewtopic.php?p=1042#p1042 for another apparent APCD volume bug), so even if sounds sometimes can add a really nice ambience to a course, Im personally very fine with the safer option of there being none at all.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: September 18th, 2021, 12:58 pm This is just my view, but -
As a player, I'd much rather have no sound than overdone obnoxious sounds that many courses out there are somewhat ruined by. I know you can turn off ambient sounds or turn them down but I dont like having to do that for individual courses - often I forget to turn it on/up afterwards and then get annoyed a few rounds later when I realize I've been missing out on the sounds on the other courses that do have them set at good levels, so in the end I gravitate towards not playing the overdone-sound courses much.

Finding that sweetspot of perfect volume levels (and frequency of the sounds being played too, for that matter) can be very tricky (especially since I have had experiences with the APCD volume settings not seeming to work! (viewtopic.php?p=1042#p1042 for another apparent APCD volume bug), so even if sounds sometimes can add a really nice ambience to a course, Im personally very fine with the safer option of there being none at all.
I'm with you somewhat, but no matter what decision we make, it will not please everyone. My idea is to add them, and those that don't want to hear them can turn them off. If they are never added, we don't get a choice to listen or not. I prefer to allow the player to choose.

My own personal experience when I was playing was to keep sounds off, and listen to a radio talk show while I played.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
BruMu

Post by BruMu »

Adelade - understand your frustration but wondering if you're aware that you can adjust volume/sounds during a round?

Just click on "Menu" and then "Sound Settings".
These are the Good Ole Days, just wait and see.