Pasatiempo GC Final

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: Pasatiempo GC Final

Post by gene_golf »

The tree to left side on hole #16 was questioned in the beta comments. Just played with windy conditions and prevailing wind blows right to left where all need to do is aim out to right and wind essentially helps out drive find fairway without player purposely maneuvering it by playing a right to left shot. I find that there is a difference of several clubs such as on downhill hole #1 where if breezy can reach green with about a 150 yard shot, but when playing as windy this hole plays into wind negating the help for distance given that the hole is downhill where saw that was left with about a 200 yard shot instead. Not sure if Ian has set wind to be coming out of variable compass directions to where if play hole #16 again with with windy conditions that might be faced having wind blowing left to right. Then again really have to question this as playing again just now with windy settings once again find starting out wind plays on hole #1 right to left. Being that this is a real course and remembering back to when Ian designed Wade Hampton that wind settings was a meaningful aspect that he wanted to do just as for realism of greens there. The greens at Pasatiempo are quite challenging with their slopes even playing firm/fast settings. Have not seen where Ian has said whether used a greens book such as Strakaline for Pasatiempo's design. I wonder about the fanatics that usually want to play all courses as fast challenging / firm challenging just what their opinions might be. Interesting course history where a US Women's Amateur winner in 1921 suggested that Alistar McKenzie be hired to design Cypress Point after Seth Raynor, who initially had started that course design died early on in its building and afterwards then Pasatiempo came about--- and if not for that fact then possibly no Augusta being built afterwards. https://www.pasatiempo.com/index.php/hi ... hampion%29. Also to mention that Royal Melbourne was a McKenzie work.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Also playing back nine noticing that on holes #11 and #12 can hit driver to adjacent fairways for another hole that are to left side adjacent of hole supposed to be playing instead of just bunting out drive down intended fairway with less of a club than the driver. Although this is not thought of reining in golfer's wildness in an attempt by course to protect homes---sometimes courses set OOB up to protect golfers playing on other holes. I believe TPC Sawgrass set up hole #18 to have in course OOB when Dechambeau played there this year. https://socalgolfer.org/is-bryson-decha ... -sawgrass/
Last edited by gene_golf on September 11th, 2021, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

gene_golf,
Based on one weather site, (https://weatherspark.com/y/546/Average- ... Year-Round) "The wind is most often from the west for 7.6 months, from March 5 to October 25." In APCD we are unable to make differing wind directions based on the month. I therefore set the wind direction from the west. The same site informs me that "The windier part of the year lasts for 5.1 months, from February 1 to July 5, with average wind speeds of more than 7.1 miles per hour." This is the setting I made in APCD for the course.

There was a discussion some time ago that discussed the variance of wind speed and direction, and if my memory serves me well the general consensus was that it is better to have a large variance, irrespective of the reality of the actual course. I have complied with this idea and made the variance plus/min 85%.

The greens are as per the details in the GolfLogix green books (except for hole 17) - see Readme.

The local rules state "When playing the 11th hole, a player May Not Hit their tee shot over the 12th green." I did not find any reference to it being OOB. As I stated in my Readme I made certain assumptions regarding OOB and I may have been mistaken.

Thank you for your comments.

Ian
dgrobo2000

Post by dgrobo2000 »

I agree with all of the previous positive comments on the Pasatiempo design. Having put so much effort into the design, it would be a shame to not flatten the 18th tee. Great design anyway. Thanks!