Sherwood Country Club beta

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: Sherwood Country Club beta

Post by gene_golf »

Noticed a few issues when played back side just now. Drive hit to right side on #10 landed on cart path and played as was since no option for drop given. It played just as if were normal shot from fairway. Next pulled drive badly on #13 to left side over houses and trees and landed in a field of dormant grass. Other than long shot left to green that was unobstructed---believe should have been penalized for being OOB. Looking at provisualizer #4 on old course routing there which represents current course configuration now being hole #13 appears to have houses and trees to the left side and not really any open area being there at all. Lastly had approach shot land short of #18 green and bounce back where had rocks to deal with. Quite possibly some shots are playable, but thinking that a water hazard line should have been introduced between water hazard and the green here.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Thank you for this course!
I happen to live in Thousand Oaks, California. So, in a way, this should be my "home"-course. If I could afford $200k initiation fee (some say even $300k, but initiation fees came down after the "great recession", and $200k was the fee for those who owned real estate inside the area, arguably the most expensive in this area, east of Malibu) and the about $10k annual dues, that is. The dues maybe I could find, the initiation fee, I would be murdered by my wife!

I had a chance to see the course during one of Tiger Wood's tournaments a few years ago. The landscape as far as the hills/mountains go seems spot on (the Santa Monica Mountains), the lake is there... the trees seem fine, although I cannot say that every single type is a common sight around here. Still not a big deal.

I truly enjoyed this course with gusty conditions and Mc/Mc settings. (overall, in this area there is a nearly constant wind blowing from west to east, i.e. coming from the Ocean nearby. Favorite Hole: 11 (I am a sucker for island greens). Least favorite hole: # 12, but not because it is bad. No, it is just the kind of hole that I tend to suffer in my game. I tense up (in the game and in real life when I cannot take out the "cannons" from the bag and need surgical precision on a 200 yard par 3 with water on half the perimeter). I do not know if it was done on purpose, but if it were the "engineers" should be congratulated. This hole is indeed infamous for the nearly constant wind blowing from left to right, i.e. towards the water. In fact, I got wet!

An acquaintance of mine who plays more than I do, had the chance to be invited (Sherwood is not an easy place to play as there are, i believe less than 500 members, many the Hollywood types) and play this course. He said that he had more fun at The Riviera. If the courses on Links are faithful to the real courses, I can say that I enjoy Sherwood the best. I can see myself playing many games on this course.

Hopefully, will not get arrested by the Sheriff of Nottingham or robbed by Robin Hoods and his Merry Men. A long time local told me that the name Sherwood comes from the 1930's when a Robin Hood movie was shot in that area. Robin Hood was played by Errol Flynn, he said and added that if I ever watch that movie will recognize the contours of the hills.

I also appreciated that at least in the rough where I ended up, the next shots were somewhat penalized, which is the right thing to do. On some courses, at times, it seems that hitting from the fairway or the rough makes hardly any difference. But I have not sent the ball into many rough spots on purpose to test.

Anyway. Thank you again for this great course.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

gene_golf wrote: August 31st, 2021, 6:13 pm Noticed a few issues when played back side just now. Drive hit to right side on #10 landed on cart path and played as was since no option for drop given. It played just as if were normal shot from fairway. Next pulled drive badly on #13 to left side over houses and trees and landed in a field of dormant grass. Other than long shot left to green that was unobstructed---believe should have been penalized for being OOB. Looking at provisualizer #4 on old course routing there which represents current course configuration now being hole #13 appears to have houses and trees to the left side and not really any open area being there at all. Lastly had approach shot land short of #18 green and bounce back where had rocks to deal with. Quite possibly some shots are playable, but thinking that a water hazard line should have been introduced between water hazard and the green here.
Hi Gene-just wondering if you were playing in practice mode.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

[quote=Jimbo post_id=11565 time=1630530044 user_id=192]
Hi Gene-just wondering if you were playing in practice mode.
[/quote]

Jimbo, No I was not. Also a look at what hole #4 on old course routing that now plays as hole #13 by new course routing. Not sure why this was overlooked by course design veterans that designed course. Certainly there should have been OOB to left side. Also if choose to lay up second shot and not go for green it looks as have to hit over intrusive tree into fairway on left side beyond where drive would normally wind up unless can drive the distance of DeChambeaux where that tree could be hit into.
https://www.provisualizer.com/2dplanner ... 4,,,,,&v=2

I checked and provisualizer reverts to hole #1, so will have to change to hole #4 to see what intended to show.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Pro visualizer isn't a very accurate tool, google earth pro with the historical imagery can show you the most updated images. I have seen too many outdated images on pro visualizer to put ant trust in it. Also the course routing is different depending on which site you look at, they have a habit of reversing nines.

gene_golf wrote: September 1st, 2021, 10:17 pm Also a look at what hole #4 on old course routing that now plays as hole #13 by new course routing. Not sure why this was overlooked by course design veterans that designed course. Certainly there should have been OOB to left side. Also if choose to lay up second shot and not go for green it looks as have to hit over intrusive tree into fairway on left side beyond where drive would normally wind up unless can drive the distance of DeChambeaux where that tree could be hit into.
Also you need to remember this is a beta, we are looking for comments not critisism, if you feel you can do better, knock yourself out.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Glenn, You have done so much overall great work that I was only mentioning issues ran into when played that might be corrected in order to possibly have perfection as much as can be done realizing that you are at the forefront on making courses be that way especially with your noted work on having greens be set at their real height. Besides plot of land having such a dense concentration of houses on hole #13 by new course routing as well as cart path textures on hole #10 and winding up in midst of rocks just over pond on hole #18 thinking that should have been in a hazard area. I had hoped Sage or yourself would have answered before and Jimbo was one that questioned what I found where showed source that had seen. The site I used was one that knew of as not sure coordinates of course on Google Earth. Would you share that info as certainly does appear to be a dense cluster of houses all the way on left side of hole referencing and I had to change hole numbers as I am well aware of course routing that I wanted to be correct in my response? Thank you, Gene
Last edited by gene_golf on September 2nd, 2021, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I decided since Glenn has not responded back to me as he mentioned Google Earth being better than Provisualizer to see what could find using Google Earth myself and it was not as hard as expected it to be. Punched in inquiry---Google Earth and Sherwood Country Club and was able to pull this up and not into elevations, but was only curious to see by overhead view how dense the neighborhood homes were and how close that they were to especially the #13 hole compared to what Glenn, Sage, et. al have portrayed in their beta for course. As wrote playing as right handed player badly pulled my drive on hole #13 and unexpectedly found it to be playable only with a long shot from dormant grass texture that was rather simple to carry trees between where had hit drive and be able to reach green.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1353799 ... 3?hl=en-US

In real life playing golf I was known for hitting my woods into the woods. A few times I hit some houses that in my opinion were built too close by to the golf courses that I played at.