Kinloch Golf Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Brandywine

Kinloch Golf Club

Post by Brandywine »

I've been tooling around with this metro Richmond, VA course pre-Covid and set it aside. After touring the grounds with a friend Mother's Day weekend, I decided to revisit it and possibly release it Spring 2022, making it my 1st course for public consumption. I've played the course three times back in 2002, and while "Aerial America" calls it the Augusta National of Virginia, I wouldn't go quite that far. It's an immaculate track for sure, consistently ranked the #1 course in the state since it opened in 2001. It's a subtle course with a gently rolling landscape.

I did notice that another member, PMGOLF, is working on it also. Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I'm going to press ahead and hopefully produce something that can be enjoyed by all.

My immediate goal is to completely finish the front nine (devoid of seam blends) and release it as a beta version by...October, and take any reviews/critiques and apply them to my work on the back nine.

The screenshot is the approach to Hole 7. Lots of work left to do, but the front nine plays as I remember it.
Kinloch7.jpg
Kinloch7.jpg (235.24 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch! ~ Kev
pmgolf

Re: Kinloch Golf Club

Post by pmgolf »

That's fine, Brandywine. Yes, I'm also working on Kinloch, and I hope your version is better than mine! It's a great course, and I'm sure everyone will enjoy playing it. Perhaps we can use each other for a sounding board, or even share ideas. I'm willing. There are 3 versions of TPC Sawgrass, and I like all 3 of them.

My progress is running slow so far. I've created the verts for all the holes (tees, fairways and greens, fairway and greenside sand traps, cat paths, natural areas, creeks, lakes and treed areas), and removed the overlay. Now I'm raising the verts hole by hole. I've also applied the textures for tees, fairways, all sand traps and greens. I will be using the Strakaline greens book for the greens. I haven't played the course (other than in Tiger Woods 2008), but I was a member of the course across the road (Hermitage Country Club) from 1985 through 2000.

If there's anything I can do to help with your efforts, send me a PM! :smile:

Pete
Brandywine

Post by Brandywine »

Thanks. One thing for sure, I'm not rushing. I just finished Stonehouse in Toano, using it as a template for Kinloch, idea wise. It was a blast to play in person, but on the computer, not so much. Too repetitive. One thing I will do is upset the status quo; I ditched the par 3 5th (194yd). The successive holes will get pushed back one (that's why the hole pictured is listed as #seven instead of #eight), making way to use the par 3 19th, set to 190 yards, as the new ninth hole. I think it's a better fit for computer play, as it's all carry into a westerly wind over the lake, and transitions nicely to the back nine. That's the beauty of cyberspace. Designer's prerogative! I'm also thinking of using the spit of land adjacent to the 18th hole as an alternate fairway, as if there weren't enough of them to begin with. Cheers.

KG
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Interesting, I see on google maps that last par 3 over the lake you mention, and count 19 holes - why do they have 19 anyway? Whats the story there?

If I learned that someone else was making Nine Bridges that I have been working on for over 1.5 year I would be kind of devastated I think (fat chance with a Korean course), this is why I like seeing when people announce on LC when they decide to start working on a course :smile: Good thing you guys dont see it the way I would have :thumbup: Looking forward to both versions.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I believe that 19th hole is used as a playoff hole. I included it in my version also, but only as a curiosity, like with the practice areas. It's a beautiful hole. :smile:

Pete
Brandywine

Post by Brandywine »

Adelade
the 19th hole is essentially used to settle the score and break ties, at the end of a round. It a interesting novelty, all played out in full view of the clubhouse. It's a nice touch considering the cost of the round! LOL I've put a few balls in that lake for sure! Due to its chokepoint location between the two nines, it wouldn't be practical to use in actual play due to the amount of traffic behind the tees. For links, its, IMO, perfect, as the par 3 fifth isn't anything special. I'm no purist, so there isn't any conflict about keeping thing 100%.

It was sheer coincidence that this course has two independent designers right now, but in my case, I had just visited the course, and was prodded to complete it, considering the amount of work I had put into it before Covid hit. It showed more promise as a good Links course than several other Virginia courses I did elevation work on before abandoning them. It's all good though.