Pasatiempo GC Beta

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Re: Pasatiempo GC Beta

Post by Jimbo »

One of the nice things about playing in practice mode is that you can hit the ball over to the houses and see some excellent work! (Like a certain Toronto course whose name shall remain a mystery). :notworthy:

BOTTOM LINE-the Nit picker has started his task and I'll PM you in a couple of days. :clapping:
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Ian........I'm not sure if you're even contemplating making any changes to the fairways and greens before releasing the final. But going back to that issue, I realize that all courses shouldn't look the "same" aesthetically ( color palette, textures, etc. ), but I just played a full round on Wade Hampton ( a beautiful piece of work, btw.) and was just thinking that something VERY similar to the ones you used there would look absolutely GREAT on Pasatiempo, making it look more natural and real. (But, then again, perhaps the real course is a bit more bright and green than I imagine.) Anyhow, perhaps you could experiment a little with greens and fairways to see what you come up with.
At any rate, whatever you decide to do, I'm sure the final result will definitely be a "Keeper". You pay a lot of attention to detail, and always release a nice addition to the Links library of courses.

Thanks...........Ron W.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I had the same feeling about Old Head, Weeler, and changed the Beta texture/colors before the final release. The trouble is, it didn't look as good as I'd hoped, and now I have to do a re-release of the Final. It's really hard to say if a color change will improve the looks of a course as much as you think they might. :smile:

Pete
John B

Post by John B »

Weeler wrote: August 26th, 2021, 5:48 pm(But, then again, perhaps the real course is a bit more bright and green than I imagine.)
I've been to Pasatiempo 4 or 5 times and played it a couple of times. I can't speak for what it's like year round (maybe there's a local here who can), but just going from my few visits I'd say it's definitely not what you'd call a "bright" course. Green yes, but it's a darker shade of green, as are most of the other courses I've either visited or played in the general area such as Pebble, Spyglass, Cypress point etc. The grass there just isn't that brighter shade that you see in some other areas.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Ron W, JohnB, migolfer and 1puttJeff

As mentioned by Pete, a different choice of colours may not be the answer you want.

As 90% of the comments pertain to the colours, I have been making some tests while I wait for any further comments to be posted. As a result of my testing I have settled on possible replacements.

The three screen shots below show the textures that I consider to be viable replacements for the Rough, Fairway, Fringe, and Tees. The Green is a different texture to the original. The new textures are an option for inclusion in the final issue. (The same textures are used in each screen shot.)

New colour1.jpg
New colour1.jpg (406.15 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
New colour2.jpg
New colour2.jpg (574.55 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
New colour3.jpg
New colour3.jpg (362.87 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
Please let me know your thoughts.

Ian
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

As for me, I DEFINITELY prefer the textures chosen for these screenshots to the ones currently used on the Beta release. I also wanted to mention the use of the split "mow lines" used on the Beta releases' tee boxes. Does the real course have those ? They sort of don't seem necessary on the tees. Just
me.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

[quote=Weeler post_id=11506 time=1630073270 user_id=124]
As for me, I DEFINITELY prefer the textures chosen for these screenshots to the ones currently used on the Beta release. I also wanted to mention the use of the split "mow lines" used on the Beta releases' tee boxes. Does the real course have those ? They sort of don't seem necessary on the tees. Just
me.
[/quote]

The changed mow lines where there is a solid color for tees and fairways as shown by Ian seem to be more like course flyover provided by Pete in his post at bottom of page 1. Not sure with hot and dry weather recently in western part of USA that this course is as green as pictured previously unless a lot of money has been spent watering the course. On the course flyover I did see some browned out grass in some places surrounding the bunkers, which is another post going on by Adelade concerning lips or no lips for bunkers. But the changes contemplated by Ian certainly will look better for Pasatiempo. The 2 toned or classic style of fairways used in beta were done mostly in past by old mowers going out and coming back, so as not to stop or back up as remembering job had in youth working in greens maintenance. But on course where I worked at---it cheaped out and only fertilized fairways for holes next to roads trying to make like course looked to be in better condition than was actually. The fairway grass was not tall enough to where could see shiny sheen going away or darker sheen where mower was coming back just as would be trying to determine speed for greens to hit putts when play. With this thought in mind I have heard of courses prepped for tournaments sometimes make grass in fairways all be mowed back towards tee in order perhaps causing course to play just a bit longer.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

To make the comparison stand out more, I did a little video editing:
s_2012.jpg
s_2012.jpg (243.71 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
s_2033.jpg
s_2033.jpg (317.78 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
s_2038.jpg
s_2038.jpg (265.89 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
The replacement colors do look pretty good, and especially the texture on the green! The texture of the fairways look a bit fuzzier. Sorry, Ian. I don't want to make more work for you. :dunno:

Pete
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

RonW,
Pleased that you like the new textures. As for the two tone tees, I like them therefore they stay.

Pete,
Thanks for the comment, I did spend a short looking for a better fairway texture but I couldn't find anything that I like better than what is there, therefore they will be as shown above.

I plan on issuing the final course next Friday so if there are any further comments please let me know before then.
Thank you.

Ian
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Ian:

I got a little delayed but I've "NP'd" 14 holes. Do you still want to see what I've done? BTW there's an evening shot of the clubhouse that's :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

One more thing-can you work that "Mystery Spot" into the course? :clapping: