Pasatiempo GC Beta

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: Pasatiempo GC Beta

Post by gene_golf »

Pete wrote: August 15th, 2021, 10:21 am Hi Ian i see your point but even then probably a draw shot if using driver, here is a pic from the course 16th tee, great work Ian & a beautiful course, loving playing it
Looking at videos provided by Ian and Pete, also checking provisualizer the tee shot on hole #16 might have the trees to left of tee, but not sure in reality they encroach so far out to right side as Ian has done. I believe Ian suggested moving ball to far right side of tee and using a right to left shot. As for using a driver the fairway goes right to left and just might end up in right rough. The 2 versions of rough are not all that tough, so using driver leaves about 100 yards to green. My first inclination was to use a 3 wood that left me about 125 yards to green. The fairway is fairly wide except that it ends if hit straight drive very rarely might be blocked out by a single tree---not several constituting a grove, but the hole is a shortish par 4 with fairly large green and right front sand trap part of the barranca running through back side of course seems easy enough to avoid being in it. The right front sand trap as well as looking at other places on the back nine where there is the barranca noted in the videos might be deep enough to be called either a gorge or a chasm such as on hole # 10.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Just played my first actual round on the course. The layout, though really short and mostly gentle off the tee, really does plays exceptionally fun :smile:

In response to a couple things in the readme:
-Im pretty sure the designer of the greens is the same as the overall designer of the two courses.
-Small correction about my review of the pins, I merely tried to make sure all greens had at least 3-4 pins available that will suit the players who enjoy playing with the strictest challenging settings, Im not promising that I managed everywhere. 3 or 4 greens made that tricky or impossible, depending on exactly how picky the user is about degree of slope, proximity to steeper slopes or proximity to edge of green.

Some impressions from the round:
-The Junior and Ladies tees currently play the same as Back tees, which may come as a nasty surprise to some players who select those tees by default. They could be made to play the same as the Middle tees instead, if you think its worth the trouble, with the Course Properties > Add Ratings to Tee.
-Seamblend between 18th green and fringe is broken at the left edge of the green.
-Like I already told you before, I really love the colours you went with!
-Not that any hole was bad or boring, and there were indeed a lot of really fun ones, and 16th was just as great to play as I expected, but I still think I found my favourite hole at 12th, loved that one :clapping: Seems easy at first glance but the teeshot presents a bit of an unusual challenge with the fairway being so far below, and the framed approach shot is wonderful, especially when played to one of the spicier pins.
-Speaking of which, here are two sets of pins that I scouted out for my own use, and which I recommend to people who like to play Mc/Mc or faster, and dont want the course to play too easy:
Medium-difficult overall:
1 12 1 13 16 15 13 6 15 - 16 1 5 13 7 0 12 11 7
The toughest I could find (subjective, of course), without resorting to mid-slope pins:
13 1 1 11 12 17 10 13 15 - 17 1 13 12 17 12 10 5 16
(But I advice being extremely careful on settings faster than Mc/Mc)

Thank you Ian for giving us the chance to enjoy this wonderful course :cheers1: Its a little too easy to be a REALLY big favourite of mine, but I definitely will be playing this one a good amount of times :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Played the Pasatiempo BETA for the first time today. The houses and roads off the course are a nice touch of detail (including in the overhead view). It gives a good sense of realism to the location. Are they photos of the actual houses you might see on the real course, or just stock house photos that may be similar? (likely the latter, I suppose)

The course does play pretty easy. I had a lot of inside-of-5ft approach shots. Not sure how the course could be made tougher though. What is it about some courses that make it so hard to make birdies? They came easily in my first round on this course.

Did notice this on the back bunker on #5: (may have seen this on some other bunkers too)
Pasatiempo.#5.bunker.png
Pasatiempo.#5.bunker.png (481.05 KiB) Viewed 3107 times

FWIW, I am not a huge fan of the green textures (maybe fairways too?) - it makes them appear to be just a solid, featureless color, you can't really see any contour on them. The green is a little too bright/kelly green for my taste. Maybe I'm just spoiled with Mike Jones green textures. The rough is a nice texture.
Pasatiempo.#13.green.png
Pasatiempo.#13.green.png (315.89 KiB) Viewed 3107 times

I agree with the other comments made here about #16 - I moved my ball on the tee (which I never do) to the right, but I still hit the tree and it went straight down into a bunker. Had some fun getting to the fairway from there. Glad you're moving that tree.

The front right bunker on #16 is gorgeous. My approach shot was a little too close to it and my ball fell into that bunker (don't mind! I was looking forward to hitting out of it for the sheer entertainment). When I clicked on [Instant Replay] to get a view of the shot from the back of the green, Links crashed and I had to restart. Luckily, or so I thought, Links asked if I'd like to resume my game, but it claimed that:
Pasatiempo.error.png
Pasatiempo.error.png (12.96 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
(bummer, I'll have to get a look at 17,18 later)
Last edited by migolfer on August 20th, 2021, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

migolfer wrote: August 15th, 2021, 11:08 pmThe course does play pretty easy. I had a lot of inside-of-5ft approach shots. Not sure how the course could be made tougher though. What is it about some courses that make it so hard to make birdies? They came easily in my first round on this course.
All Links courses can be made more difficult using course conditions. Wind settings of Breezy, Gusty and Windy add a little more difficulty. But when you start conquering courses with ease while using pre-version 1.07 settings, you can use the Challenging conditions of Links version 1.07, or even mix the conditions. Play Pasatiempo using Breezy, Firm (Challenging), and Fast (Challenging) and I promise you that you won't be complaining about how easy the course is. I've played Augusta National 2010 using those conditions and you must use all your skills to shoot even par! The Masters at APCD-Courses.com used 4 rounds with that setup back in the day. :smile:

Pete
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Pete,
Hi Ian check this out https://www.flyovergreen.com/en/golfs/a ... -golf-club
had Albatross 2 on hole 9, don't get many of those
Thanks for the link. I wish I had this at the start of the rendition, but perhaps I would never have finished it.
Well done with the Albatross.

Ian
Pete

Post by Pete »

You've done a great Job Ian in producing this beautiful layout, many many thanks
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
Thank you for the clarification and your comments.
I have added the Junior tees to the second tee location and the ladies tee to the forward tee location , where three positions are available. The 18th seam blend is fixed, (again!).

Thank you for sharing the pin positions I will give them a go on my next play.

I enjoyed making this rendition and even though it is very short, I am pleased that I rendered it in APCD.

Thanks again.

Ian
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Migolfer,
Thank you for your comments.
Are they photos of the actual houses you might see on the real course, or just stock house photos that may be similar?
The overhead view shows the actual houses (based on Google Earth), the 2D views are stock houses imported from (I think) Harbour Town.

The way I build the bunkers I do not know how to get rid of the issue you raised, perhaps I have to find a new way to build them. (I do not like building bunkers, perhaps that's the reason.)

Thanks again.

Ian
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

FWIW, I am not a huge fan of the green textures (maybe fairways too?) - it makes them appear to be just a solid, featureless color, you can't really see any contour on them. The green is a little too bright/kelly green for my taste. Maybe I'm just spoiled with Mike Jones green textures. The rough is a nice texture. (Migolfer )

Needless to say, I completely agree with Migolfer about the colors/textures. The rough looks fine, but the greens and fairways both seem to come across as "overly bright and almost "too green" ( if that is such a thing. ) Something more subtle would look more realistic IMHO. Otherwise I really love the changes in elevations, elaborate bunkering and overall gameplay. I guess I never realized that the real course was set in a residential area like that.
I Very much enjoy the course, though !! :yes:
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

Thanks for making this course. Really well done. Here is video of someone playing it for real. Part one of three.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOn9vON6oU