Pasatiempo GC Beta

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Ian Wells

Pasatiempo GC Beta

Post by Ian Wells »

I have asked Andy to upload the Beta version of Pasatiempo GC when it is convenient.

I will issue the FINAL version of the course within the next 2 weeks. I would appreciate that any player who plays the course informs me of any faults.

I hope that you enjoy playing the course.

Ian

I attach below the Readme for the course:
Pasatiempo Read me.pdf
(78.68 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
chad

Re: Pasatiempo GC Beta

Post by chad »

:cheers1: :kicking: :thumbup:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Reading through the read me provided I saw where you mentioned pin settings yardage on scorecard and maximum yardage whereby those would be pin settings at the back of the greens. I thought that in general understanding that the center of the green was the main factor in setting each tee's yardage for the yardage for each hole and without checking most designers in Links use the center of the green as 0 pin setting. When I play say a front 9 only, I keep clicking random settings until there are no 0 pin settings showing and sometimes that takes a while. Without seeing a course overlay is it possible to where tees can be extended longer or a new tee added for each hole. If par 3's were extended 20 yards, par 4's extended 35 yards and par 5's extended 50 yards for a par 70 course this would add extra fictional 600 yards, so that a 6,500 yard course winds up as a 7,100 yard course. Playing some courses lately with 500 yard par 5's and being able to reach green in two shots with a mid to long iron seems strange when on some other courses par 4's are set nearly 525 yards. Checking provisualizer I see this course is par 70, but with 5 par 3's and 3 par 5's, so changing computations still winds up being 600 yards longer.
Hole Yards XTRA Par Hole Yards XTRA Par
1 461 496 4 10 439 474 4
2 441 476 4 11 392 427 4
3 231 251 3 12 377 412 4
4 384 419 4 13 538 588 5
5 193 213 3 14 430 465 4
6 567 617 5 15 147 167 3
7 345 380 4 16 393 428 4
8 179 199 3 17 371 406 4
9 512 562 5 18 178 198 3
3313 3613 35 3265 3565 35
6578 7178 70

If tees are moved back this could very well impact whether fairway sand traps are in driveable distance. There are courses where fairway sand traps cannot be conceivable to have anyone other than duffers hit into them. Why punish the poor golfers, let them play their short courses devoid of sand traps, water hazards, high rough, trees and severely undulating greens as well as OOB thrown in as well.
Checking the fairway sand traps and hole #4 looks as if ones to right side are there just for decoration. Hole #9 currently fairway sand traps are out 240 to 265 yards. On #13 one is out only 200 yards, but some others are near 300 yards. On hole #17 there are some to right side not even half way out on a 371 yard hole, so these must have been for decoration purposes. Overall the course does not have fairway sand traps as a main defense as holes have rough or trees mostly instead.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Trees on left side of tee on 16 encroach drive, lovely looking layout, great work & very playable, will be playing more rounds & letting you know if anything crops up
Attachments
Screenshot (91).jpg
Screenshot (91).jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 3397 times
John B

Post by John B »

Woo Hoo, thank you thank you thank you! Nice to finally see this great course get its due! Probably my favorite course of all time which I've had the pleasure to play.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Gene,
Thanks for your post.
When I layout a hole the length of the hole is from the middle of the tee to the middle of the green to based on the scorecard lengths. Within APCD the hole info for each hole records these lengths. These lengths are used when you view the scorecard in Links.

When I locate the pins, after the design of the green is complete, I take no notice of the lengths from the tee. I try to base the location on what I consider to be Easy/Normal/Hard. (At least that is my plan.) During this process I record the lengths of each pin and when all the pins are planted I tweak some locations so that I have at least one pin that is to the card. (Sometimes this is impossible because of the green contouring, as in this course on hole 8.) I do this because I just feel that one pin should be the card length. In real life the pins and the tee locations are changed in harmony so are always card length.

Based on the pins selected the actual lengths of each hole will be different from the Links scorecard, therefore I have given reference to the pins that will give the actual card lengths. (I have no idea if anybody will use this information, nor the information regarding the longest pins lengths, but the information was available.)

I think the above is correct. :dunno:

With regard to lengthening the course by moving the tees back 20-40 yards, this is impossible with the layout as it is - without demolishing houses. I am however, contemplating modifying the course by stretching each hole. I have not looked into this in detail so I do not know how feasible it may be, but my initial thoughts are that it may be. I will wait to see the comments generated on the course as it plays in real life before making any decision.

Ian
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Pete,
Thanks for the post.
Trees on left side of tee on 16 encroach drive,
I have looked at this many times and as many times I have changed my mind. The reason I have left it as is, is because the golfer can move the ball across to the right tee marker. I will await to see if other people agree with you. It would be a minor change.

John
Thanks for the post.
I hope your enjoyment remains after playing it. Please provide any feedback.

Ian
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi Ian i see your point but even then probably a draw shot if using driver, here is a pic from the course 16th tee, great work Ian & a beautiful course, loving playing it
Attachments
Screenshot (92).jpg
Screenshot (92).jpg (579.36 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Pete,
If I had access to that picture I would have moved the tree. Consider the tree moved, and the small fence added.
Thank you.
Ian
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi Ian check this out https://www.flyovergreen.com/en/golfs/a ... -golf-club
had Albatross 2 on hole 9, don't get many of those