St. George Golf and CC, Toronto

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
FOOOOORE!

Re: St. George Golf and CC, Toronto

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I just played this one and like it very much. It's one of the few real courses I would come back to and play again, it has a lot of the challenge you normally find only on the imaginary courses, i.e. not a lot easier to play in Links than it is in real life. I didn't mind the darker rough, I sort of expect it to be dark. It's longer grass, and every blade throws a dark shadow. I'll need to work on my approach shots with this course, I had trouble landing within 18 feet of the pin. Lots of elevation changes is the likely cause, plus many shots seemed to be 'between clubs' for me. Well done, the trees, bunkers, etc. look terrific.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

You all can THANK Glenn for his 3D work and beautiful planting. Leo Allen spent countless hours getting elevations and I only took all that info and made a elevation map......bunkers were easy ( they are very plain but work ). Jimbo kept us all on our toes.........

My thanks to all involved....

Sage...... :smile: :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I was very impressed with Sages work as well as Leos elevation work! and we can't forget Jimbo's input. I am glad this course is getting the kudos it deserves.

Glenn :cheers1:
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

I have already commented on the course previously (still love it). However, having played it (virtually) twice now, there is one thing that (for me) is missing. The clubhouse, curling club and parking lot are on the West side of Islington Ave. (a very busy road). Note there is a tunnel under the road for access to the course, which is on the East side of Islington. Trust me, any tees, greens and holes adjacent to and approaching Islington Ave. would have a lot of traffic noise, especially considering the wind here is mainly from the west. Any chance traffic sounds could be added?
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Captain...notice that we included the curling club (RIP!😔)
I know that Islington is a busy street but ironically I can't think of many (if any) real clubs that have car noises and I'm thinking that realistic cars may be a problem (especially the ones that you'd see in the St. George's parking lot)!😉
For what it's worth I've "nit picked" a couple of courses and managed to convince the designer to include trains but I don't think that they would be as difficult compared to the diversity of cars.
As for traffic noises I can't think of any clubs that use them either.
As for the tournament edition I believe that Islington is closed off for the week...to the dismay of local homeowners and folks who usually take the bus to the subway station!
Other than that I think that the guys really outdid themselves and Canadian Linksters should be very happy and proud!
Stanley Thompson was a great designer. I'll be working on some of his other courses working from west to east- you know what that means😉 as I get proficient with APCD.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

BTW while on nit picking the forum got it wrong. The course is calles St. George's with the apostrophe.
It's OK on the download.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Finally got around to playing a full round on it, quite enjoyable, liked the layout a lot. A bit easy for first 12 holes I thought (still never felt boring though), and the finish sort of makes up for it as a whole. I have a question and a few minor points of feedback.

Question: I visited some old threads the other day and saw that Sean Landry had started a version of St. George's at one point, and it sounded like Jimbo tested it, I was just curious if this published version now was built from that one or if its a separate one from scratch?

Came across a floating tree between 10th green and... I think that is 2nd tee? (the closest tee to 10th green anyways), from my putting angle on 10th the tree seemed like it grew right in the middle of the tee area.

I really like the informational text on the hole previews in general, but in a few instances they missed out on the help they were attempting to provide. This is not meant as a complaint nor something that I think is worth the trouble of changing, just something that could be kept in mind for any future hole previews :smile:
-On several hole previews, it was mentioned that greens/fairways funnel or "slope downwards", which - apart from indicating that there is some sort of slope - doesnt tell the player anything (all slopes tend to slope and funnel downwards :tongue: )
-17th hole preview says the green slopes front-to-back, but that doesnt seem to be the case?
-10th hole preview is one of those rare holes where a distance marker somewhere on the fairway would make a huge difference for people playing on Elite or without the top cam, even with panoramaic view you cant see any of the first fairway from Back tee, and so club selection becomes a complete guess in the dark, and in this case it looks like a pretty small margin for error with the first fairway sloping towards the green.

I didnt mind the grass texture colours as much this time around, but I still maintain that I think there is a nice big improvement to gain with some colour correcting to get them more in line with eachother :smile: Still very enjoyable, thank you (all) for this course :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...