St. George Golf and CC, Toronto

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
billw

Re: St. George Golf and CC, Toronto

Post by billw »

Guys,
I played a few practice holes on St. George. You guys did an outstanding job. I like the general overall look of the course.Clubhouse is fantastic. Maybe you guys will keep this "team" together and do another course.

billw
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Bill...I'd love to but like I said my nit picking can be a pain in the ass-especially when starting from Square One.

Having said that...😉

Anyway, assuming that the Canadian Open gets played next year be sure to watch-you'll see that these guys took the program to its limit...or at least the limit for now!😄
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Weeler wrote: July 18th, 2021, 8:28 pm It seems, to me, that the intensity ( or saturation) of the green color used in the rough is a little too much. It really 'overpowers'
the subtlety of the fairways and greens. I know I'm putting myself out on a limb here , by suggesting that you check out another course that I'm
pretty sure uses the same rough texture, but has more of a "subdued" green coloration. It is : Scioto . The rough, greens, and fairways seem to complement each other well.
Perhaps something could be done for the tournament edition, I know the rough will have time to grow and get more gnarly so the color might change with the growth. Stay tuned.

Glenn
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Gentlemen,
As expected a first rate course. The planting is superb as is the 3D work. I liked very much the hole previews, but have mixed thoughts over them not having any dimesional details. (With the ability to get the lengths and elevations from the game are they necessary on the Hole Preview?) Omitting them certainly gives a cleaner presentation.
I :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: to you all. Well done.
Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Agree with Weeler - the fairways, tees and greens to me look almost sickly next to the very highly saturated rough. Would very much love to see the rough texture edited for lower saturation for the tournament version if possible, and perhaps the short grass textures slightly higher to meet in the middle, I think the great work you guys did with the course would look a lot better with that simple change. Thanks for another real course to play :smile: - havent played a full round yet, but it looks very playable on first glance, and I dont think the members version seems too short for my liking.

@Ian - As someone who always checks hole previews and, to a decent extent, relies on them - I always prefer more info on them (as long as the text or visualizations dont obscure the shape of fairways or location of hazards underneath!), a single distance marker on the teeshot landing area goes a very long way on its own and is great to see, but personally Im fine with no info at all beyond the overall shape of hole. Because you can usually figure out at least sort of where to aim without the top cam anyway, by taking distance readings to bunkers, hills of rough or patches of fairway within view from tee, and most courses are designed to have such visualizations. On particularly blind teeshots it can be quite frustrating with no numbers at all on the hole previews but those holes tend to be rare.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Ian Wells wrote: July 19th, 2021, 8:47 am Gentlemen,
As expected a first rate course. The planting is superb as is the 3D work. I liked very much the hole previews, but have mixed thoughts over them not having any dimesional details. (With the ability to get the lengths and elevations from the game are they necessary on the Hole Preview?) Omitting them certainly gives a cleaner presentation.
I :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: to you all. Well done.
Ian
Thanks Ian, if you look at the tee signs you will get all the info you want except for elevations. I know you can only really see them in practice mode but the yardages are there.
chad

Post by chad »

Top notch course and fun to play. Kudos and well done to the designers and testers! :cheers1:
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Thanks to Sage and Glen for their great rendition of St Georges GCC. For many years I lived just up the road (5 miles) in Rexdale Ontario and had the opportunity to walk the course several times (68 & 2010 Men's Canadian Opens and all of the Canadian Ladies Opens). Now, as a retired, poor, corrupt, Ontario Government Official (just kidding!:)), I get to play it virtually, any time I want. :clapping: :cheers1:
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Nemo...when you said that you could play it every day... :scared:
But on second read... :oops:

How close were you to Weston? It would have been a nice addition (given its history with Arnie) but that damn railroad bridge over #2 and #3 have ruined things IMHO.
But we Torontonian (and former Torontonian) Linksters have 2 of Toronto's finest-and they're as close as Anfield and Goodison (English Linksters will understand).

So I'm still getting prepped for my "Tribute to Thompson"-I still don't know how Sage keeps cranking them out!😄
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Jimbo wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:52 pm
How close were you to Weston?
Just checked on Google Maps. Apparently I was 3 miles from the Weston Clubhouse. I noticed that the 16th tee was (as the crow flies) about a mile away, but that part of the course is house and railroad locked. The closest accessible course to me back then was Humber Valley, so most of my early golf was played there. Originally the closest course to me was a private course called The Elms. Which was opposite Humber valley on Albion road and ran west over to Islington Ave. It was bulldozed in 1957 to make way for houses. Interestingly, an adjacent course (Pine Point GCC) was bulldozed a few years earlier for houses and to make way for Hwy 401.
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile: