Royal st Georges update

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Re: Royal st Georges update

Post by Adelade »

About the shadow file, yes I tried deleting all the planted grasses on first 5 holes and shadow file dropped to 35 MB, so it should go down to an acceptable size after a full grass replant, which fortunately seems like it wont take much work.

@gene: Yes I am keeping in mind the slower speeds in Europe/The Open :thumbup: Also, I already changed some of the 'deepgrass-like' textures to play as Deep Grass instead of Rough as they were set to before. Plus the old 2d grasses didnt seem to affect the ball at all, I plan on adding a bit of dampening to the replanted grasses, its a Linksland and Open course after all. Greens certainly wont be very close to the true greens in this case since there is little info to go on and Im not intending to spend months on this course, but JB has already featured a decent amount of the overall characteristics it seems like, and I aim to build on that a little bit at least. It seems like Strackaline does have this course, but even if someone did feel like purchasing them there might not be enough time before the open to get the materials delivered, I dont know if they do digital stuff or not. I tried finding hole location sheets for past opens at St George's but was unsuccessful.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Hi, Adelade:

For the pin positions, see this, extracted from WaybackMachine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110806085 ... spx?hole=1
Regards.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

You are the BEST! :clapping:
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Strakaline doesn't have anything for the greens on the digital end and Golflogix only has the course book, no green books
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Think Im done with all my planned updates (at least before seeing The Open). Ended up doing more work on the greens than I originally planned, they should be decently accurate and fun to play on realistic speeds (I recommend F/Mc (unless its a rainy day)). I dont think the course is all that difficult without realistically windy conditions, and Windy in Links is quite extreme, whereas Gusty doesnt really present much challenge, Im thinking I will be using a mix of them, but you wont do the course justice if you go breezy or no wind, thats for sure!

Have only tested in practice mode so far but I think it is presentable enough, gonna play a first full round now, slight chance of further minor updates if I or anyone else run into anything specific, but I wanted to get it uploaded as soon as I could. Here it is available until I upload it and admins publish it on LC:

[EDIT: Updated version 0.91 with aiming pole collision fix: [Edit 2: Including Readme in new link (same course file) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/clhnf4r6uhuq ... wp__a?dl=0 ]]

Keep in mind this has been a very quick effort, and I never intended this course update to be a main project of mine or anything, just improving what I felt were the crucial bits. I very much welcome feedback or suggestions for changes, just dont be disappointed if there are certain improvements I dont feel invested enough to make with this specific course. There will be occasional rough spots if you go looking for them but I think the play areas should be fine. I would ideally like to improve the panorama and surrounding views a bit more... but I dont think I have the energy for it with this course - unless it is something that stands out and is easy to fix.
Last edited by Adelade on July 13th, 2021, 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

As for what is changed... I usually write it down as I go but I didnt this time, lets see if I remember them all:
-Green contours remade on all 18 greens, as well as many areas just outside green edges.
-Pins completely replanted, pins 0-3 are based on locations for the 2011 Open (#0 for day 1, #1 for day 2 and so on). Not all greens have 18 pins and pins lack difficulty settings (all listed as Normal / Medium).
-Removed sharp edges for all play areas.
-Texture colours edited slightly. Sand texture completely swapped. Tee texture replaced with the same one as fairways. Some alphas had to be changed as a result of edges being unsharpened.
-New panorama. Custom edit of the APCD stock "Pasture" one. It doesnt look that great but better than the old one IMO, and I think I managed to make it decently accurate.
-2D Grasses deleted and replanted like they were before, to get rid of their topviews and high impact they had on the shadow file previously. The difference is that the new grasses have slight dampening if you hit them, but they're still very easy to escape from.
-Crowds (hastily) added.
-Various minor edits: Cleaned up 2D object houses a little, removed shadows of bridges on hole 14, moved out of bounds line on a couple holes, wind direction subtly changed, added a bushtree on hole 3, added two fairway bunkers on 18th and removed one of the old + increased the green size - to fit real-life changes since 2011 (note that hole previews have not been updated). Edited edge of plot to fix some odd views from certain angles, fixed some broken seamblends here and there, fixed some texture and seam blend properties, lessened some of the most "cataclysmic" fairway bumps to be more realistic, added some of the main fairway ridges/bumps/etc that I saw, changed course name to include "2021Open", moved a few bunkers here and there short distances (didnt bother in some places so I know some bunkers (that didnt seem like they would be in play much) are still a little off. There may likely be a few more that I didnt spot yet).
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Played a round on Gusty F/Mc and 2011 Sunday pins, went well :thumbup: I birdied first 3 holes and started thinking "oh boy, it is way too easy isnt it?" but the round ended on -2, partly because I started having bad snaps but still, I think the course isnt too easy. Actually found one somewhat important thing to edit... One of the old aiming sticks, on 13th, stands right in the fairway landing area, and I went back in practice mode to test if it has collision - it does bounce the ball if you hit it :wallbash: Since it has a sort of realistically chance of affecting play I guess I'll have to make a new version right away instead of waiting until after the Open...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Updated link to new version 0.91 where aiming poles on holes 13 and 10 were removed - those teeshots dont seem to be blind anyway.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor ... 3346F11893

Golf pass has good reference pictures of the course for future reference
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

Hi All

Sorry I haven't been posting much recently - this is because I've been playing REAL golf on a proper golf course three times a week and trying (unsuccessfully) to keep my handicap!

Anyway, I downloaded Adelade's adjusted course and it's GREAT. I only did the re-jig in March so people could play along. And, yes, he's quite right, any course I've done - you are all more than welcome to adjust as you see fit.

Cheers

John Brooks