Royal st Georges update

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Ian Wells

Re: Royal st Georges update

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
Firstly, I must confess that I do not like links courses.

I played the front 9 and the 18th, (as I did with St. George Golf and CC, Toronto), and enjoyed the experience. From watching some of The Open on TV, the redition by John and yourself gave me the same sense of utter desolation that the TVcoverage gave me. I played F/F (the default I use when testing my own course), Gusty, Top camera and the putting assistent, therefore it is no suprise that I shot 4 under for the ten holes :smile: .
I think my overall view of playing links courses is similar to some of the professional golfers, it is a nice experience to have once a year.

Well done.
Ian
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: July 19th, 2021, 7:38 pm and the trees (left of 18th and behind 4th)
According to the many hours of tv broadcasts, there's only one tree on the entire course. When I played pm's event, I didn't notice if there were trees or not. That's a testament to my powers of observation. :smile:

The thing that stands out most to me is the improvement of the colors in your version. Thanks.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

gene_golf wrote: July 16th, 2021, 12:58 am It has been since 2011 that Darren Clarke won last here at Royal St. Georges. Being a senior now it was a long while from 1949 until 1981 that I ever saw The Open played here at this venue, Royal St George's 15 times as of this year (1894, 1899, 1904, 1911, 1922, 1928, 1934, 1938, 1949, 1981, 1985, 1993, 2003, 2011 and 2021).
Then again in 2019 there were several years since The Open had been played at Royal Portrush only played twice there. (1951 and 2019).
Also was quite a few years that went by for Hoylake or Royal Liverpool to host The Open for another time having now done so a dozen times, (1897, 1902, 1907, 1913, 1924, 1930, 1936, 1947, 1956, 1967, 2006 and 2014).
Another factoid Turnberry has not hosted The Open all that much, only 4 times and from source seen will not do so again until 2027, but that might be pushed back a year since as believe saw article before virus pushed tournaments back a year (1977, 1986, 1994 and 2009). This course done here in Links by Stewart Parker will need to have especially hole #9 changed from a par 4 to a par 3, but there are a few years for him to do so.
Future sites by Wikipedia show venues being.
Year Edition Course Last hosted
2022 150th Old Course at St Andrews July 2015
2023 151st Royal Liverpool Golf Club July 2014
2024 152nd Royal Troon Golf Club July 2016
My understanding is that Turnbury is "off thel list" until further notice-unfortunately...
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Adelade, you have a PM about v0.92 !
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

True that to what Jimbo wrote.
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/30 ... -announces
---JANUARY 11TH 2021 ARTICLE POSTED---
The R&A announced Monday that Trump Turnberry, the most picturesque of the venues and where Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus staged their memorable "Duel in the Sun'' in 1977, will not be granted an Open "for the foreseeable future.''
"We had no plans to stage any of our championships at Turnberry and will not do so in the foreseeable future,'' Slumbers said in a statement. "We will not return until we are convinced that the focus will be on the championship, the players and the course itself and we do not believe that is achievable in the current circumstances.''
Located in southwest Scotland, Turnberry is the most remote of the venues and one that produces far less revenue than the R&A prefers. Still, its setting and history -- despite just four Opens having been played there -- make it appealing.
All of the other nine Open venues have hosted the championship since it was last played at Turnberry in 2009. That tournament saw a 59-year-old Watson -- a five-time winner of the event -- hold a 1-shot lead heading to the 72nd hole, where he bogeyed and fell into a playoff that Stewart Cink won.
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

This may be useful, Adelade, in case you go on with the course:
https://pgapappas.blogspot.com/2021/07/ ... t.html?m=1
Regards.
doclawler

Post by doclawler »

Wow, that is some detail.

I was just about to make a post with the following link that includes eStrokesavers for several courses, but the link you posted takes the cake, at least for RSG.

http://www.strokesaver.co.uk/products/g ... rokesavers
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Awwww man. I couldnt bring myself to use those now, all my hard work with the greens would be wasted :crying: :laugh: :heartbreak:

I genuinely thank you for finding and posting it though, just a bit hard for me to take in right now, but I'll be fine dont worry about it :laugh:

If it had been any type of main project of mine I would definitely have swallowed the bitter pill and completely redone the greens using those, but Ill have to say no this time, Im happy with how they turned out. Someone else is free to do it if they want to. Sidenote - not that I personally object, but I wonder if that blog poster truly had the rights to publish those.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I have a public message for Adelaide and Brooksie-as you may have noticed I've been busy nit picking another course with a similar name. :rofl:

World you like me to "n-p" your Beta or should I just...for want of a better expression...just "go away" for awhile? :naughty:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I find it very, very interesting to watch the green charts to see where I succeeded and where I could have done better, or how close I was with certain tough judgment calls I had to make here and there. For example I always wondered if the majority of 10th, 12th and 16th really could be as flat as it seemed - and it looks like they are. Also looks like my tough decisions to put adventurous pins on precarious areas that I had never seen a real life pin on, at holes 6, 12 and 18 were correct ones, which makes me really happy to see, although the immediate spots on 6 and 18 look like they need to be flattened a bit, so I'll do that. On 15th however I didnt put any pins on the left edge, and it looks like a pin there is more than reasonable, so I will edit that part a bit and move a pin there. Not really seeing anything else that absolutely needs to be changed imo (some humps at edge of greens I didnt feature as well as I could have for example, but oh well) so I think I'll leave it at that. Again, I absolutely wouldnt want to discourage anyone from posting finds like that in the future, so I wanna stress that Im in fact glad you posted them alarduran. If anyone finds stuff like that for any other real tournament-type courses - even if its just the more simple illustrations of main green features - and especially John Brooks' and Sage's real courses (because Im pretty sure they'll allow updates), and especially for courses outside of the US, please do let me know.

I already knew that some greens are smaller than they are in real life, but I never intended to make those type of edits (I only changed 18th because they had significantly increased its size in real life since last time), so Im not changing that. This means however, that if anyone does want to add the real greens, they'd have to increase the size of some, which means you'll also have to make sure to avoid problems with surrounding mesh, planted grasses and crowds, so it might be more work than one would expect.
GoBucks wrote: July 20th, 2021, 12:58 pm According to the many hours of tv broadcasts, there's only one tree on the entire course. When I played pm's event, I didn't notice if there were trees or not. That's a testament to my powers of observation. :smile:
You are quite correct, these trees are technically not on the course, but rather right beside the course grounds (in some cases, mere yards away from playing areas), so they still show up even if none of them are in play. I dont blame you for not taking notice of them, Im sure I wouldnt have done so either if not for working with the course in APCD. Eyes on the game :smile:
Jimbo wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:59 amWorld you like me to "n-p" your Beta or should I just...for want of a better expression...just "go away" for awhile? :naughty:
As always it is up to you Jimbo, I wouldnt mind, but it might be a waste of your time since both John Brooks and I already know the course or its surroundings arent 100% accurate, the focus is on making the golf gameplay good, and authentic to a reasonable point, most emphasis from my side has been on green elevations and I never meant to sign up for making other parts of the course more accurate, I only did it for things that I personally felt like doing, or when I felt like they had a big enough impact on gameplay. As long as you keep that in mind, go for it if you want to :smile: (just let me know before you start, so I know not to publish the final before you're done). I promise you can always fully nitpick without holding back - if you want to - on the projects I consider my main ones.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...