Chicago GC (message to Sage Vanni)

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
migolfer

Chicago GC (message to Sage Vanni)

Post by migolfer »

Hey Sage, finally got around to playing this course in Links .. it is pretty nice, thank you for contributing it.

Of course, it reminds me of The South Course at Arcadia Bluffs: https://arcadiabluffs.com/the-south-course (which was designed with Chicago GC in mind). If you are looking for another course to make in Links some day, might I recommend this one? I know you did Forest Dunes in Roscommon some time ago**, so I know you don't mind doing a Michigan based golf course. :smile:

I played this course a couple years ago not long after it first opened. Very nice indeed.

Here is #1:

** (sorry, I'm not a big fan of that re-creation -- you should do a revision of it to make it more accurate and have less "artistic license" applied :tongue: )
Duglis

Re: Chicago GC (message to Sage Vanni)

Post by Duglis »

What are you not a big fan of? what re-creation?
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

What are you not a big fan of? what re-creation?
Forest Dunes Golf Course Roscommon Michigan
Release Date: 2017-07-13
Style: OCEAN

He writes in the description: "My version of this course. I added the ocean to the course.." (ocean?!)

Now, of course he has every right to interpret a golf course however he wants, he's an artist, but
I've played Forest Dunes and would have liked it to have been a little more accurate. I also realize that
I could put my money where my mouth is and make my own in the Course Designer, but it would take *years*
for me to accomplish since I haven't touched that software in 20 years, so I just thought I'd throw the idea
out there for an update since he is so prolific. Am not really expecting it to happen though. My main goal
was to say thanks for Chicago GC, I enjoyed playing it.

Example: #9

Links version:
forest dunes GC-splash-1.jpg
forest dunes GC-splash-1.jpg (517.44 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
Photograph of the actual course (2008):
Forest Dunes #9 (tee)(wide) 10242008.jpg
Forest Dunes #9 (tee)(wide) 10242008.jpg (658.49 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi migolfer,

I've had Arcadia Bluffs the South Course on my list for some time now.......It just does not have good overhead 3D elevation data.

We will see.............I have one other project I'm going to work on then I will see..............

I've taken some time off from designing..................

Sage.....
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Sage my friend, you deserve some time off from course designing. The joy your course renditions have given to us Links players has gone above and beyond the call of duty. <G>
Brad.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks very much Brad..................

Sage...... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Sage has one more little thing to do then he will have earned a break (as will a couple of his friends!) :clapping:

Meanwhile just how important is the classification of a course (Ocean, Parkland, etc.)? We have a heckuvalot of courses that are classified as "Real", "Fantasy" or "Imaginary".

As for Forest Dunes, Sage has done the "Black Loop" course (the higher rated of the two). A quick look at the course shows that the 3rd hole is certainly a Par 3 over a lake. The 16th hole is a Par 3 over a mossy sort of semi-swamp (he's shown it as a lake). That's one of the only issues I'd have if I was nitpicking (which I'm not)! :tongue:

My only other observation is about the actual club itself...it's a bit of a hike from the 18th green back to the clubhouse. There's a song by Yes called "Roundabout"...I think you'll understand! :rofl:
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

As for Forest Dunes, Sage has done the "Black Loop" course
Wait, the course you're talking about here is the reversible, "The Loop", a new design by Tom Doak (Black is one direction while Red is the other). The course I am referring to is the original 18, still called "Forest Dunes" (also the name of the resort), designed by Tom Weiskopf. I've played both in person (both directions on The Loop) and am mightily fulfilled for having done so as they are both wonderful.

Are you saying Sage has a Links course for THE LOOP ?!?!? That would be news and a course that I must download immediately. However, I do not see a reference to anything like that in his list: https://linkscorner.org/courses/index.p ... ni&id=2597 (which has 164 record(s) returned !? -- holy f*** Batman, I didn't realize he has done that many, yikes)
A quick look at the course shows that the 3rd hole is certainly a Par 3 over a lake.
Nope, sand and grass, no water whatsoever:
Forest Dunes #3a 10242008.jpg
Forest Dunes #3a 10242008.jpg (289.75 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
The 16th hole is a Par 3 over a mossy sort of semi-swamp (he's shown it as a lake)
No, not exacly. Very much like #3, it is a long expanse of grass and sand with no water to be found anywhere:
Forest Dunes #16 10242008.jpg
Forest Dunes #16 10242008.jpg (364.95 KiB) Viewed 3048 times

These are photos I took in October 2008.
Last edited by migolfer on July 1st, 2021, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Here is #16 from the back of the green looking towards the tee. Tough hole.
Forest Dunes #16b 10242008.jpg
Forest Dunes #16b 10242008.jpg (307.92 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
Forest Dunes #16.png
Forest Dunes #16.png (631.86 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

My only other observation is about the actual club itself...it's a bit of a hike from the 18th green back to the clubhouse.
Perhaps you are referring to the Black Forest at Wilderness Valley course which is south of Gaylord, MI. I've played that (Tom Doak) course a couple times, the last time I walked it ( hate power carts), and, you're right, it's about a mile from 18 green to the clubhouse. I just hitched up the double straps on my carry bag and hiked back. Took a little while, but it was a nice day. :)

Unfortunately, that course is closed and was sold. B*stards, how dare they allow that to happen? :)
https://www.petoskeynews.com/gaylord/fe ... ml?redir=0

Here is the Links version of Black Forest: https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2213 (doesn't really do it justice, I'm so fussy..)

Another Doak course in Traverse City (High Pointe, his first design in Michigan) was sold and closed and is now a hops farm: https://www.renaissancegolf.com/264/our ... -golf-club. I'm kinda pissed about that too as it was an excellent golf course.

http://www.michigangolf.com/highpointe1.htm
HighPointeGolfCourseWilliamsburgMI.jpg
HighPointeGolfCourseWilliamsburgMI.jpg (44.38 KiB) Viewed 3046 times