course designation

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
jack12k10

course designation

Post by jack12k10 »

Hello, when downloading a course(and maybe its only from the 47 available with the purchase) what is the difference between the same course that just has its name, and one that follows name with LS...tx.
woody4077

Re: course designation

Post by woody4077 »

i think LS means that course was made especially for links LS but i could be wrong
jack12k10

Post by jack12k10 »

Ok, thanks.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Looks as if 47 course combo pack for only about $15 seemingly has the latest possible available courses and that would be 2003 versions provided if any of the MS courses were to have been upgraded to that version. Even for courses done by course designers in Links from early days on with Links 2001 course designer can see where they upgraded their 2001 version to be a 2003 version. Back to MS course discussion---any others are before that looking at the individual course list to buy and 2001 indication just as any other one not showing 2003 behind it would definitely be ones that were not upgraded to be the best version possible of any MS released course. The VGA courses have so called bells and whistles or a multitude of various tournament objects for that time frame added in. Price to get all 47 in combo pack is really a bargain instead of trying to get just a few with cost of ordering individual courses at $2.99 each is the way to proceed imho. The game version I got was the 2003 championship version with 26 courses included. To fill in rest of MS courses had some earlier Links versions that used course converter that is included in the separate Links games to add courses from previous game versions. A couple of courses I still did not have---so bought those that were in 5 course packs, but now seeing that 47 course combo pack is available would have gotten that instead and would have saved some money since 5 course packs ran around $20 each, just as in the beginning individual courses be they on floppy discs or cds also ran around $20 each---if had seen in past that 47 course combo pack was then available.
Last edited by gene_golf on June 11th, 2021, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

gene_golf wrote: June 11th, 2021, 4:17 pm Looks as if 47 course combo pack for only about $15 seemingly has the latest possible available courses and that would be 2003 versions provided if any of the MS courses were to have been upgraded to that version. Even for courses done by course designers in Links from early days on with Links 2001 course designer can see where they upgraded their 2001 version to be a 2003 version. Back to MS course discussion---any others are before that looking at the individual course list to buy and 2001 indication just as any other one not showing 2003 behind it would definitely be ones that were not upgraded to be the best version possible of any MS released course. The VGA courses have so called bells and whistles or a multitude of various tournament objects for that time frame added in. Price to get all 47 in combo pack is really a bargain instead of trying to get just a few with cost of ordering individual courses at $1.99 each is the way to proceed imho. The game version I got was the 2003 championship version with 26 courses included. To fill in rest of MS courses had some earlier Links versions that used course converter that is included in the separate Links games to add courses from previous game versions. A couple of courses I still did not have---so bought those that were in 5 course packs, but now seeing that 47 course combo pack is available would have gotten that instead and would have saved some money since 5 course packs ran around $20 each, just as in the beginning individual courses be they on floppy discs or cds also ran around $20 each---if had seen in past that 47 course combo pack was then available.
Just to point out, there were many courses made for Links LS 2000 and earlier versions of the game that had multiple versions of the same course. I think there were 39 individual courses released in total for Links LS but if you include all the different versions of these courses, there were around 68 from memory. Not sure how many people realize this let alone have the full collection.

Then there were the MS remakes of these courses on top of that for Links 2001/2003.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Regarding post just made by ...., the combo pack available shows 47 different courses and there are no duplicates. Just a guess on my part here, but probably would be getting latest and best versions put out by MS of any of the courses.
https://www.linkscountryclub.com/proshop

Product Price
Banff Springs $2.99
Barton Creek $2.99
Bay Hill $2.99
Bighorn $2.99
Bighorn Canyon $2.99
Castle Pines $2.99
Cog Hill $2.99
Congressional $2.99
Covered Bridge $2.99
Devil's Island $2.99
Dorado Beach $2.99
Entrada $2.99
Firestone $2.99
Hapuna $2.99
Harbour Town $2.99
Innisbrook $2.99
Kapalua Bay $2.99
Kapalua Plantation $2.99
Kapalua Village $2.99
Latrobe $2.99
Mauna Kea $2.99
Mesa Roja $2.99
Oakland Hills $2.99
Oakmont $2.99
Pebble Beach $2.99
Pelican Hill $2.99
Phoenix $2.99
Pinehurst No. 2 $2.99
Pinehurst No. 8 $2.99
Prairie Dunes $2.99
Princeville $2.99
Riviera $2.99
Royal Melbourne $2.99
RTJ Judge $2.99
RTJ Links $2.99
Sea Island $2.99
St Andrews New Course $2.99
St Andrews Old Course $2.99
Stone Canyon $2.99
Thanksgiving Point $2.99
The Belfry $2.99
Torrey Pines $2.99
Troon North $2.99
Valderrama $2.99
Valhalla $2.99
Westfields $2.99
Whistler $2.99
Subtotal: $140.53
Discount: -128.53
Total: $12.00

I do see that Latrobe only has one version and not sure which, probably the summer version leaving out fall version. Hopefully have both versions anyway by having Links LS featuring AP or in my case believe was one of original courses in 2003 game anyway that bought. Another course left out I see would be the St. Andrews Jubilee course and I remember buying a version in Links that also had the New course focusing on St. Andrews complex with that release several years back now. Several of the courses have been reworked very well in Links, but until the others are reworked these other ones give an idea of what courses are. Yes there are seam blends not done and greens have severe slopes that make challenging conditions out in 2007 impossible to play under for some pin placements---but the look of trees in early version of Links is more colorful and the trees seem larger and in your face than trees see on some courses put out recently.
Last edited by gene_golf on June 12th, 2021, 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

gene_golf wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:06 pm Just a guess on my part here, but probably would be getting latest and best versions put out by MS of any of the courses.
I'm quite sure someone posted in the past complaining that he did not get a good version of the particular course he purchased.
I stated there were 39 LS courses in my last post. Just checked and there are 38.
As mentioned, the courses below had multiple versions in some cases and there are around 68 total versions of the below courses.
Some course versions came with crowd and sound files for example, another version of the same course may not.

The Links LS courses are:

1. Banff Springs
2. Barton Creek
3. Bay Hill
4. Bighorn
5. Castle Pines
6. Cog Hill
7. Congressional
8. Covered Bridge
9. Devils Island
10. Dorado Beach
11. Entrada