City Park Links

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
billw

City Park Links

Post by billw »

Sage,
Excellent pano on City Park Links. Must have taken a lot of work. Also, great concept for a golf course. The first muni I ever played was in the middle of a city.
billw
FOOOOORE!

Re: City Park Links

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Thanks for this and the Allen course, Sage. I will get around to playing them today most likely.

Anyone else notice that when you play Colonial, when the round is over and you get to the stats page (longest drive, GIR, etc.), it's all zeros? I thought my installation was corrupt when I first saw that, but after playing a different course, that stats page displayed correctly.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks Guys.....much appreciated......

Sage.... :smile: :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I just played the Allen course, really like the layout, especially those Funky Fairways [tm]. The only quibble I have is that branch sticking out on #2. I understand you wanting to force the draw, but =usually= branches in that position are just decorative or mildly intimidating, and don't snag balls. Anyway, once I found out that it is positioned to do exactly that, I restarted my round, making sure to draw this time. Interesting wind direction too, I don't believe there is a single hole where you have a tailwind to help drive the ball any great distance, I think my longest drive was 297 yards.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 1:29 am Thanks for this and the Allen course, Sage. I will get around to playing them today most likely.

Anyone else notice that when you play Colonial, when the round is over and you get to the stats page (longest drive, GIR, etc.), it's all zeros? I thought my installation was corrupt when I first saw that, but after playing a different course, that stats page displayed correctly.
I've never seen that issue at any of Colonial versions, but it's a known issue at the Ocean Course at Kiawa.
No matter where you go, there you are.
chad

Post by chad »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 1:29 am Thanks for this and the Allen course, Sage. I will get around to playing them today most likely.

It might be because there are no assigned hole handicaps. Check the scorecard and if zeros are assigned to each hole, that would explain why there are no stats at the end of the round.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Get the 2020 version of Colonial instead of whichever old version you're keeping? :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

"I've never seen that issue at any of Colonial versions, but it's a known issue at the Ocean Course at Kiawa."

Aaach! I think you're right, I've been playing both of them lately and got them mixed up. ok, good to know it isn't just some weirdness on my PC.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Very enjoyable course. Played it as Tees: back, Pin positions: difficult, Wind: gusty, Greens: M/F; RTS, no assistance on putting except the grid lines, Final score = -5). I appreciated the big city skyline (reminded me a bit of Adam's Tree which, I was told, is Melbourne's skyline) and the intense green colors. Favorite hole is #14, absolutely stunning and downhill which tempts you to try to go on green in one shot (270 meters/ 300 yards, but 17 meters lower than tee). Protected by bunker on the "good side" though.

Nice holes variety, reasonable fairways and nice greens. Some are quite flat and some have some gradient, but nothing like 10+ different gradient lines. It was so nice for a change to actually try putting from 10+ meters without worrying about 20+ possible lines and just think about getting the power right. As holes are not very long, being capable with short irons is quite important. Par 5 are overall long, but not like almost 600 meters and, unless the wind is a headwind, at least 2 or 3 can be game to get on green in 2 shots. That may depend on type of greens selected. In S/S setting where the ball could be glued to the greens it may not run enough to get it accomplished and in F/F one's ball could run past the green. Enough water hazards to keep one's attention awake.

As a former long and triple jumper (many years and many kilos/pounds ago), I have a soft spot for sand :whistle:, but thankfully got out reasonably easy. I like to play Gusty instead of Windy for it gets boring to keep correcting for the wind, always the same type of wind except direction. However, holes with water, if one plays them aggressively, when the wind blows towards the water hazard, could be serious trouble. I like when there is water on two sides so that one cannot just smack the ball real good, cross fingers, and hope for the best.

I am a speed golfer and tend to play an entire game in under 30 minutes or close to it. I hate to have to think too much about the shots and this course was great for me. I use different players with different clubs in their bags. This time I went with a player who had the 1-Iron. Excellent club distance wise, but with my green setting at M/F, balls ran a bit too much on greens and left me with long putts. But those putts were enjoyable.

From time to time it is super pleasant to play a course that has not been over-engineered. The clarity of the views really stands out and I would feel comfortable playing it even without top views. One of the few courses (at least among those I tried) where what you see resembles what one's eyes see on a real golf course. Never had a "where the f... is the fairway down there.." moment.

Thank you. Mr. SageVanni. :clapping:
Last edited by MrT on June 4th, 2021, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

MrT.........

WOW, WOW and WOW......

I have never had such a review of one of my courses....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks very much....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage..... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.