Easy Courses

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Still Linksing

Re: Easy Courses

Post by Still Linksing »

mickydavies wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:19 pm I know about people continuing to use Windows 7. Setting up a new P/C to do that is a bit beyond me I am afraid! I actually found that I played best with XP... Still the best Golf Sim I have ever played though.
Any new PC bought today would need to run Win 10 regardless if you want Win 7/XP on that computer or not. New hardware now is only supported by Win 10. It's still possible to custom build a machine to run old operating systems from new components but the choices are becoming less and less as old/new hardware is slowly being taken off the market. I built a Win XP machine not that long ago from all new components.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

Well, a long time ago when issues started coming up with new Operating Systems running Links, I did actually think about buying a couple of p/c's with XP installed and putting them in the attic and using them just for playing Links 2003. The problem was that my wife would have complained a bit if I suddenly plonked a new desktop p/c down next to the one we use every day to just use for my golf game - and we don't have a big enough house for me to hide somewhere to play it! So Windows 10 it is. My big worry is when our current p/c conks out, I won't be able to get a new p/c built with the right motherboard/graphics card to keep Links still working... Still going OK now though!
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I found out that Intel decided to put their "onboard graphics" on Desktop motherboards in addition to the laptop motherboards. I heard about all the problems people were having with older software (ie. Links 2003) and Onboard Graphics, so I checked on AMD. They are not putting onboard graphics on their laptop or desktop motherboards. I built my latest PC with an AMD processor and motherboard, along with a GeForce nVidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 gb video card. It's fast and runs Links very well. Include AMD in your search of you're looking for a new PC! :smile:

Pete
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

Thanks for that. I actually got my current p/c built for me with Links in mind. My big worry is that in a couple of years the latest generation of hardware just won't support an ancient old game like Links! I am 67 now though, so it may be a toss up who survives the longest...
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

mickydavies wrote: May 1st, 2021, 10:16 am Thanks for that. I actually got my current p/c built for me with Links in mind. My big worry is that in a couple of years the latest generation of hardware just won't support an ancient old game like Links! I am 67 now though, so it may be a toss up who survives the longest...
Links 2003 will run on any desktop PC without issue. I still have never seen an example of one system that will not run it.
Laptops are the problem. Windows 10 itself may throw in problems running Links before hardware does.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse