COURSES i WOULD LIKE TO SEE

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: COURSES i WOULD LIKE TO SEE

Post by gene_golf »

A rough version of Sherwood has been done by Dace Fair.
https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2211
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

The nines are reversed in Dace Fair's version of Sherwood from way remember course in past. So the famous downhill par 3 with cascading waterfall ponds is #6 now instead of #15 and that is by looking at current scorecard. https://clubsg.skygolf.com/courses/cour ... #Scorecard
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

milwsteve wrote: June 7th, 2020, 10:08 pm Missouri Bluffs Golf Club in St Charles,Mo Mississippi Dunes Golf Links Cottage Grove,Mn Sherwood Country Club Thousand Oaks,Ca,Wolf Creek Mesquite,Nv
As for Mississippi Dunes I do not see where further information about this course could be found to create a course here in Links seeing as it closed a couple of years back and put up for sale.
https://bringmethenews.com/life/picture ... to-move-in

How many years ago did you play this course?
GoBucks

Re: Kingston Heath

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: June 8th, 2020, 12:48 pm
AJ Allen wrote: June 8th, 2020, 12:05 pmSurprised nobody has done it yet...
Its because its not a US course :tongue:
Does geographical location matter?
No matter where you go, there you are.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

GoBucks wrote: June 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm
According to Golf Digest's latest version of the 100 greatest courses in world, Kingston Heath rates up near the top.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/worlds ... lf-courses
12 [13] KINGSTON HEATH G.C.
Heatherton, Australia
Des Soutar, Mick Morcom 1925), Mike Clayton (2002)
7,102 yards, par 72
Considered an Alister MacKenzie design, but in fact Australian golf professional Des Soutar designed the course in 1925. MacKenzie made a brief visit the following year and suggested the bunkering, which was constructed by greenkeeper Mick Morcom before he built Royal Melbourne's two courses. The bunkers are long, sinewy, shaggy, gnarly, windswept and, of course, strategically placed. Some say MacKenzie's tee-to-green stretch of bunkers on the par-3 15th set the standard for all Sandbelt layouts.
Last edited by gene_golf on June 10th, 2020, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I was reading that Mackenzie got paid 250 pounds for his few hrs consulting, while the course designer got paid 25 for 10x the amount of work. Think I might have to set up a test plot in APCD and see how my bunkering technique holds up with the ones on the course. It would be a fun one to do, especially if I could find what tee distances were used when Tiger won his tournament there. :thumbup:

I can't find too many pics of the course on the internet, well, not ones with the views that I want. And unfortunately it's a 7hr drive from here, so taking some myself will have to wait a while.

Cheers, AJ
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

GoBucks wrote: June 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm
In terms of chances for a real course to be made for Links, yes it matters quite a bit.

A quick google search tells me that around 40% of real courses in the world are courses in USA. A very large number to be sure, but the Links library of real courses is dominated by US courses by a much greater number. The only other place in the world with a strong representation are the British Isles. Maybe you could argue these places having a higher course quality than elsewhere overall, but still, I looked at Golf Digest's top 200 courses in the world list from 2018 and counted about 12% of them being in Asia for example. Meanwhile I count around 0.5% of real courses for Links being in Asia. Im not saying I think its surprising, just that we're missing out on quite a bit of excellent golf around the world because designers mostly look within USA, UK/Ireland.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Adelade,it's probably because (I'm guessing) most of the people designing for links come from those areas. Also, those are the courses that are on the PGA and European tours, so people likely want to play courses that they know. I quite understand that.

For myself, I am used to golf courses here in Australia as well as NZ, so that will be what I will design...courses over here. Sure,the designs won't be as popular as the more well known US ones, but hopefully a few people will play them and enjoy having a change ofscenery. :yes:

BTW, will be sending you a link to DL the beta of Coomealla shortly.

Cheers, AJ
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I've watched the NZ Open, AJ, but that was the only NZ course I've seen. It looked quite nice. I hope you would consider doing a NZ course for us! Of course, I would hope it would be at least 7,000 yards though - courses with less length get no respect when played on a computer.

Pete
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

pmgolf wrote: June 10th, 2020, 7:45 pm I've watched the NZ Open, AJ, but that was the only NZ course I've seen. It looked quite nice. I hope you would consider doing a NZ course for us! Of course, I would hope it would be at least 7,000 yards though - courses with less length get no respect when played on a computer.

Pete
Here's a look at a NZ course I have in Links. Couldn't tell you who did it, I have had it for ages. Very hilly and challenging.
Attachments
teihioterangi.jpg
teihioterangi.jpg (231.52 KiB) Viewed 4710 times