COURSES i WOULD LIKE TO SEE

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Duglis

Re: COURSES i WOULD LIKE TO SEE

Post by Duglis »

Anyone up for National golf links of america (southampton, new york). RANKED 8TH BEST COURSE IN GOLF DIGEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Layed out by the architect who did chicago gc. similar and also very cool and famous!

Also, I saw a post from someone here who has course maps and elevations and green info sent from the course itself to him. I'm sorry that I forgot who that was!!! :(

-Douglas

p.s. If not, I understand. You are all wonderful designers and so generous with your time!
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

sagevanni wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 3:04 pm I'm looking at "Mississippi Dunes".......is anyone else....????

Sage.... :smile:
Sage, Please see my post about river courses. Mississippi Dunes ceased operations back in 2017. https://www.startribune.com/mississippi ... 450630553/
Since course is closed there may not be adequate information in which to go by on internet since most posts are about sale instead of describing what the former existing course looked like. Also see that the yardage was only 6,500 yards from way back tees, so to make it enough of a challenge in Links, the holes would have to have fictional way back tees added. Par 3's could have 10 yards, par 4's could have 20 yards and par 5's could have 25 yards and with a par 72 course which means 340 yards more yardage to playing a course. There are many courses that exist that deserve to be seen such for why they have garnered so great acclaim over the years as Cypress Point, Chicago Golf Club or Winged Foot that you have done that other people have only heard good things about these courses and have not seen recent tournaments played on them. If there was a course suggested by millsteve that he begged you to do, please take a look at Dakota Dunes as it seems different than the run of the mill muni type courses, such as Meadow Lark that turned out to be not so scenic and challenging to play that you did for him.
woody4077

Post by woody4077 »

gene_golf wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 7:18 pm
sagevanni wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 3:04 pm I'm looking at "Mississippi Dunes".......is anyone else....????

Sage.... :smile:
Sage, Please see my post about river courses. Mississippi Dunes ceased operations back in 2017. https://www.startribune.com/mississippi ... 450630553/
Since course is closed there may not be adequate information in which to go by on internet since most posts are about sale instead of describing what the former existing course looked like. Also see that the yardage was only 6,500 yards from way back tees, so to make it enough of a challenge in Links, the holes would have to have fictional way back tees added. Par 3's could have 10 yards, par 4's could have 20 yards and par 5's could have 25 yards and with a par 72 course which means 340 yards more yardage to playing a course. There are many courses that exist that deserve to be seen such for why they have garnered so great acclaim over the years as Cypress Point, Chicago Golf Club or Winged Foot that you have done that other people have only heard good things about these courses and have not seen recent tournaments played on them. If there was a course suggested by millsteve that he begged you to do, please take a look at Dakota Dunes as it seems different than the run of the mill muni type courses, such as Meadow Lark that turned out to be not so scenic and challenging to play that you did for him.
agreed theres alot of courses that are best described as "bland, cookie-cutter" designs
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

I looked through the top 100 list last week some time. Only through the first 50 or so. Amazingly, there are so many that we already have in Links. I suppose that has something to do with the game and the APCD being around for the last 20 years! People have had time to look for and design many courses. The ones that haven't been made are often shorter courses that many consider too easy in the game (Sort of like Chicago GC, actually). Or sometimes they just don't have the exposure of tour or major courses, like Teeth of the Dog.
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

72Animal wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 5:17 pm I looked through the top 100 list last week some time. Only through the first 50 or so. Amazingly, there are so many that we already have in Links. I suppose that has something to do with the game and the APCD being around for the last 20 years! People have had time to look for and design many courses. The ones that haven't been made are often shorter courses that many consider too easy in the game (Sort of like Chicago GC, actually). Or sometimes they just don't have the exposure of tour or major courses, like Teeth of the Dog.
    Good analysis! I agree. Shorter and not major exposure. Another great one that you hardly see is Karen CC in Kenya named after OUT OF AFRICA'S Karen Blixen.
    gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

72Animal wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 5:17 pm I looked through the top 100 list last week some time. Only through the first 50 or so. Amazingly, there are so many that we already have in Links. I suppose that has something to do with the game and the APCD being around for the last 20 years! People have had time to look for and design many courses. The ones that haven't been made are often shorter courses that many consider too easy in the game (Sort of like Chicago GC, actually). Or sometimes they just don't have the exposure of tour or major courses, like Teeth of the Dog.
    As I have noted before Chicago GC is listed as par 70, 6,950 yards and Sage did not use 2 way back tees on holes #9 and #12. Sage somehow decided to use a forward tee essentially taking out right fairway sand trap out 285 yards from way back tee on hole #12. As for courses being short Merion hosted US Open in 2013 and had par 70 and was about 7,000 yards with winner Justin Rose finishing at 281 total. The thing about Merion is not so much the length of the course as has been lengthened, the hangup in usual times is that the course is encircled by houses that puts a cramp on having spectators and to set up spectator tents for having major tournaments there. Length of courses is a subject that have seen interviews with Nicklaus done where he complains that older designed courses such as Merion mentioned then before lengthened were no longer challenging because how far players can hit ball so far---and here he criticized the USGA for not holding a set standard essentIally letting Iron Byron, the robot hitting newer balls and newer clubs not matter anymore. Nicklaus has designed courses so he knows what cost is to place a golf course on, so Nicklaus has known some wealthy people that supported him designing and building courses. Nicklaus even came up with idea of having reduced flight golf balls that could be played on a shorter course or older courses once famous courses that cannot add length to their holes. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/195 ... ent-closer
    Teeth of the Dog by Pete Dye in Dominican Republic was mentioned. In a former golf game had on computer this course was in that game. There is a famous par 3 with ocean to left side of green. I remember seeing a match on Shell's golf series there with Fred Couples as one of the golfers. By the way that match may come up on Golf Channel when several matches are shown soon on Tuesday, June 30 and Wednesday, July 1.
    Last edited by gene_golf on June 24th, 2020, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Duglis

Post by Duglis »

HOLY SH*T!!!!! :oops: OMG! Thanks!!! My goodness. I never even thought of looking!!!
    :cheers1: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
    woody4077

Post by woody4077 »

Duglis wrote: June 24th, 2020, 4:14 am HOLY SH*T!!!!! :oops: OMG! Thanks!!! My goodness. I never even thought of looking!!!
    :cheers1: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
    Checking the course downloads page to see if a course has been is ALWAYS a "good" idea :thumbup: