The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Hogan

The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort

Post by Hogan »

Just wondering if this Pete Dye course in California has ever been rendered for the Links Golf Sim? A truly beautiful golf course.
gene_golf

Re: The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort

Post by gene_golf »

Hogan wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:11 am Just wondering if this Pete Dye course in California has ever been rendered for the Links Golf Sim? A truly beautiful golf course.
Pete Dye designed a course in the complex in 1988, but not the one where women pros are playing ANA Inspiration tournament. Also Arnold Palmer along with Ed Seay designed a course at complex in 1979. https://www.anainspiration.com/the-course/
However a co-designer of Muirfield Village with Nicklaus, Desmond Muirhead designed the course Dinah Shore tournament has been played at this year celebrating 50th year now. Desmond Muirhead designed the Dinah Shore Tournament Course in 1970. I mentioned elsewhere in writing about TPC Woodlands that a golfer on my high school team was associated with that course complex among several other notable courses including Mission Hills as well. Another golfer on team, Chipper Cecil worked at the Cardinal in Greensboro, NC designed by Pete Dye in 1973 with golf pro, Terry Wilcox who relocated first back to Wilcox's childhood home in Oklahoma before finally settling at Mission Hills as the pro or Director of Golf operations. Wilcox is the "Big Poppy" that pond on hole #18 is named for. https://www.anainspiration.com/poppies- ... 0in%202008.
Chipper Cecil succeeded Wilcox in job and still lives there. I had seen also that he has given John Daly lessons, was at one time the women's golf coach at UCLA and also co-holds Dinah Shore course record shooting a 61. http://www.scga.org/courses/details/mis ... untry-club
I have not seen or talked with Chipper since high school myself and so interesting to be named Chipper and having a work career involving golf.
Last edited by gene_golf on April 5th, 2021, 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

The Dinah Shore course at Mission Hills Golf Resort is a decent course that see each year early in April where California weather is already near 90 degrees for high temperatures. There is a notable real course located in Las Vegas rated high on list of the best US courses by Golf Digest, that is lush green with mountains in background panorama being Shadow Creek that until recent tv matches has been talked about, but not seen by public---much the same as Seminole that deserves thought of being made by some capable course designer here in Links and Seminole from what have seen in discussions is in process of being made. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/shadow-creek
John B

Post by John B »

I've played the Gary Player course at Mission Hills years ago and remember it being a lot of fun to play. Unfortunately I haven't played any of the other courses at Mission Hills, but was supposed to go to the ANA Inspiration this past week until Covid put an end to spectators attending once again.

Shadow Creek in Las Vegas is stunning in person. I haven't played it, but have walked it a couple of times during golf events held there. It would be a wonderful course for a talented designer to create for Links. It's obviously very beautiful, but also has a lot of risk/reward holes that would make for a great challenge.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

John B wrote: April 5th, 2021, 3:57 pm I've played the Gary Player course at Mission Hills years ago and remember it being a lot of fun to play. Unfortunately I haven't played any of the other courses at Mission Hills, but was supposed to go to the ANA Inspiration this past week until Covid put an end to spectators attending once again.

Shadow Creek in Las Vegas is stunning in person. I haven't played it, but have walked it a couple of times during golf events held there. It would be a wonderful course for a talented designer to create for Links. It's obviously very beautiful, but also has a lot of risk/reward holes that would make for a great challenge.
I was seeing information that internet sites given here by me already showed Muirhead, Palmer/Seay and Pete Dye courses there at Mission Hills previously. But looking for information on Gary Player course there ran across this and yes it certainly mentions Player designed a course there and new article only associates already mentioned Pete Dye course part of the Rancho Mirage, California, Mission Hills golf complex in this new link site. My response to original post by what Hogan wrote, "Just wondering if this Pete Dye course in California has ever been rendered for the Links Golf Sim? A truly beautiful golf course." was thinking he could only be referencing ANA Inspiration tournament last week with assumption that with tournament taking place and no other sources mentioned by Hogan.
https://golfismentalblog.com/2014/03/01 ... 20everyone.
Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Thank you all for the information.
Yes, this is the course I was referring to: The Westin Mission Hills, Pete Dye
Golf course in Rancho Mirage, California
Brad.
Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Does anyone know where I can download the sound file for 'Augusta'? Thanks for any help.