Bighorn or tpc woodlands

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
bear2016

Bighorn or tpc woodlands

Post by bear2016 »

Has anyone thought of maybe updating Bighorn or TPC at The Woodlands?
woody4077

Re: Bighorn or tpc woodlands

Post by woody4077 »

i'd go for bighorn as its an original links course (first released as an add-on for links the challenge of golf)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'd vote for the Bighorn Mountains...for obvious reasons... :whistle:

https://www.bighorngolf.com/clubhouse/

...and the Canyons Course is a mile away across the highway!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Just curious - what would you like to see updated about TPC the Woodlands? Have there been substantial changes to the real course or is it something else?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Bighorn: An old favourite. Would be great to see it updated graphically, and more detailed and, consequently, looking awesome on my 28 in monitor. :smile: :smile:
Last edited by Captain Nemo on March 29th, 2021, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

the greens need to be updated on it adelade.
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Bighorn
jurg48

Post by jurg48 »

These would be two good ones to upgrade. Is a matter of fact I was going through both my 2001 and early 2003 courses the other day and forgot how great numerous of these courses looked as far as panos, planting and course layout. Redoing grass textures on tees, fairways, collars and greens as well as bunker work, would transform these gems into something special. I always hated the sharp edges, the tuck and roll look around tee areas as well as around bunkers and water. Not to mention the the outdoor carpet look of that was prevelant on numerous faiways and greens. The transformation of these old designs would be a challenge but also very rewarding. :notworthy:
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

Bighorn for me. I actually like the Bighorn (MSGolf) version. It has crowds, hole previews, etc. It could use an upgrade though. The clubhouse would be a challenge.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

The premise of asking everyone to respond whether they wish to have a revision done to either Bighorn or the TPC Woodlands could be said to be say limiting at best. Bighorn saw on tv as it hosted skins match from 1992 through 1995. Here is the 1993 skins match on youtube. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pg ... &FORM=VIRE
Shell's Houston Open was played at TPC Woodlands from 1985 through 2002. A guy on my high school golf team named Greg French continued on with golf as a career and was once associated with TPC Woodlands.
Vice President
Three Oaks Hospitality
Aug 2009 - Apr 2012 2 years 9 months
The Woodlands, Texas

Benchmark Hospitality International Graphic
VP of Golf Division
Benchmark Hospitality International
Jun 2002 - Jun 2009 7 years 1 month
The Woodlands, Texas

This was among several well known courses that he worked such as Kiawah Island, Scottsdale and Mission Hills among several others and he currently lives and works in California.

Bighorn as one of the original MS courses has scenery and playability despite the small course file size when done 20 years back still stands up well to play as do most of the other original MS courses. The TPC Woodlands championship course is among the 63 holes at the complex. It has been awhile since it has been seen on tv except recently when Champion's Tour plays there and the tournament this year is the last of April. I have seen Nicklaus team up with Trevino, Player and recently a younger Champion's player (usually a longer ball hitter than the other guys now over 80 years old) playing 4 person best ball there in past years along with Palmer until he passed away and this has also happened when they play Minnesota Champion's tournament there also. Having accurate greens would be a plus for any real course as that is a possibility that can be done, but even though last version of TPC Woodlands was done in 2005 these 2 courses mentioned have credible greens as designers presented them would be my feeling playing them.

I would say limiting the choice to just these 2 courses alone for some designer to possibly do is going the wrong direction. Last week's men's event was at Austin CC and I really enjoyed playing Austin CC done by John Brooks. The men are playing this week at TPC San Antonio, Oaks course designed by Greg Norman and that would be an interesting course to have in Links. Any course venue that pros play every year such as TPC Southwind or Sedgefield among a couple and there are others I am certain that come into play here would fit into this thinking as well. Speaking of MS courses last week the women played at TPC Aviara and that was interesting to watch them play there. Also there are more notable courses such as the best 100 US Courses as picked by Golf Digest or the best 100 Courses in World as picked by Golf Digest, many of which that have yet to be done in Links which deserve consideration I feel to see what they might look like and play.