Austin Country Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Pete

Re: Austin Country Club

Post by Pete »

Some very dodgy pins on the slopes
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Pete wrote: March 27th, 2021, 2:45 pm Some very dodgy pins on the slopes
Watching tournament now and see that greens are sloped in many different random ways making even short putts hard to make and long lag putts hard to wind up close. Would be nice to see a version of this course done with green's slopes matching up with Strakaline elevations, but John Brooks has done a credible job anyhow of presenting what are in actuality severely sloped greens and has written that he has leveled them out so as not to frustrate Links players playing this course. Writing in general that there are some very dodgy pins on the slopes does not give John Brooks much to go by if he wanted to fix this concern for everyone playing this course as there are 18 pins on 18 different greens. I have seen him write before several times that his courses are left unlocked and for anyone to feel free to make changes that they might want to do. Changing a pin setting even I could do this myself, but elevations confuse me to no end using APCD. A player playing any course should consider with their skill and putting aids used as to what conditions in which to play a course especially the ones designed before challenging settings were introduced into the game. Also which pin positions might be dodgy to play if challenging course conditions are chosen to play at. Which if any course that John Brooks has designed does not have a dodgy pin or two on probably every green?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Totally agree just don't fancy playing 18 pin settings (roughly 9 hours)
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

There should be 9 pin settings on every green - 3 hard, 3 normal, 3 easy. Austin does have one or two wicked ones.

Sorry about delay but I have been playing proper golf following lockdown!

Cheers

John Brooks
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

John-does that mean that we'll never see you avail yourself of the full range of APCD? :rofl: :rofl:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Played 0 & 1 pin positions hole 11 bogie & double bogie after hitting the green in reg, verry hilly