St. George in Toronto

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
sagevanni

Re: St. George in Toronto

Post by sagevanni »

What can I say Glenn...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1:
Sage.... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I have fixed the windows, they are blue BTW, found a better roof texture and a closer color to the outside of the building. The next time I post a pic there will be mappings and de-shadowing. No real timeline as of yet, off to work (real job)

Glenn
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

finally on the plot, many mappings to do
chplot.jpg
chplot.jpg (148.86 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Magic... :cheers1:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Magic.......YES...!!!!!!!!
:cheers1: :cheers1: :clapping: :clapping:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

It just gets better and better :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Ian
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Excellent work, Glenn ! That roof line is unreal. All those dormers and angles. This will really help bring the course to life. Thanks.

Weeler
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Guys-there were two reasons that I kept pestering-some would call it nagging-some would call it something else-for this course to come to life. It is among the top 30 courses in the world (#2 in Canada)-and was Stanley Thompson's masterpiece (even better than Banff and Whirlpool) and the clubhouse can best be described as a castle (Toronto has another castle-Casa Loma as well-but you can't book a tee time :rofl: ). Any Toronto Linksters will know what I'm talking about! IMHO it is the most beautiful and regal clubhouse in the world and Glenn is doing it justice. I'll save the rest for my club intrduction.
I've already played a few rounds on Sage's Pre-Beta Beta :smile: -I've never played on something like it...he knows his stuff (as if... :rofl: )
By the time the Beta gets to the web it will have been pre-nit-picked...but from the looks of things my job will be small (nit-pick-wise)-Sage, Glenn and Leo will be doing the "heavy lifting".
My major contribution will be to do an introduction that I hope will do justice. to both the club and the architect.
BTW-if you take an aerial view of the course layout it's "interesting". :whistle: It actually resembles the dragon on the club's logo.
Anyway if the US-Canadian border ever opens again it' will be the home of the next Canadian Open.
I'm excited about this project (I may have mentioned that elsewhere :thumbup: ) and truly believe that this will be a finalist for course of the year!

As I said-I'm trying to learn :bookh: as we go so that I can start a "Tribute to Thompson" from west to east, starting with Capilano and (hopefully) ending with Highlands Links...but that's another story for another day or year...
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Being Canada it's no surprise that the first professional athletes being allowed to cross the border are hockey players. Hopefully by next year the golfers can come back too. :fcrossed:

Btw if you are looking for a shorter Stanley Thomson course to start with and practice on on, can I suggest Uplands Golf and Ski Club in Thornhill, ON? It was a private club built in the 1920s but in the 1980s most of it was sold off to developers so its now a nine hole course, 8 of which are Stanley originals.

Because it's now a nine hole course it doesn't come up in the usual course rankings but it is one of only four Canadian Thompson courses with a hole in the Golf Digest Top 500 Golf Holes in the World list (Uplands hole #8, his only other par 3 in the list is #4 at Banff) . And linksters would never believe #4 is a real golf hole that gulley is so deep and hard to get out of. It's really underrated imo.

https://golfnorth.ca/uplands/

https://www.stanleythompson.com/about-s ... untry-club

I have noodled with APCD since it came out over 20 years ago but have never had the time or patience to complete a hole let alone a course (which is too bad, i did do some simple designs for JN4). I am in total awe and appreciation of what APCD designers do.

Anyways if I was going to do Thomson courses, I would start with Uplands to build confidence and experience and go from there.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Merci Colin-there are quite a few smaller Thompson courses around and you probably have a point...this APCD is a monster and Sage, Brooksie and the rest are magicians.
Just as an FYI-and if anybody has these on the drawing board please let me know...these are on my "to do when I'm ready list":

Capilano-in Northt Vancouver-with a beautiful view of the city from the front nine and the mountains from the back nine. The 18th hole is ranked among Canada's finest.

Jasper Park-the sister course to Banff and actually ranked higher.

Islington--the sister to the aforementioned St. George-just down the street. When the Canadian Open is held at St. George (hopefully next year) the players take their warm ups there then are chauffeured to the club

Oshawa-just east of Toronto and very underrated

Highlands Links-ranked in Canada's top 10. Thanks to Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore (Cabot Cliffs) Cape Breton Island is now the "Pebble Beach" of Canada (at least from May to September😉) It's relative remoteness rules out any major tournaments.

Once again heartfelt thanks to everybody working on St. George-I promise that you will be more than pleased!

Those are his best known but, as you said he has designed many more-mostly in Canada but not exclusively.

I'm not going to do any more nagging after St. George hits the website...although Cabot Cliffs-the Crenshaw & Coore course...😆