Easy Courses

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
pmgolf

Re: Easy Courses

Post by pmgolf »

I don't enjoy shooting low scores either. I'd much rather shoot scores that are similar to the ones players shoot in real life, and I want to have to work hard to accomplish that. If others want to shoot unrealistically low scores and don't care about taking shortcuts to do that (ie. amateur mode, easy courses, ladies tees) - that's fine, but I'd rather not play golf with them.

Some of Robert Miller's courses are easy, but some aren't (Pine Valley and Whistling Straits).

Pete
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Absolutely nothing personal, Still Linksing, but I definitely agree with pmgolf concerning RMiller's courses. By far, Whistling Straits has
more "slim" , tight fairways surrounded by the mind-boggling number of bunkers Pete Dye put on the course. With the green speed and hardness using
course settings, and the breeze or "wind" set realistically.....I find this course pretty challenging ! I believe Rob Miller also designed Shinnecock Hills
which isn't all that easy as well. Needless to say, most all of his courses were VERY nicely done, IMO. In fact, I find it very unfortunate that he decided to leave the APCD drawing board. ( Of course I don't know any underlying reasons ). But, if he were still designing, he'd be the perfect candidate to
tackle some additional "real" courses such as Cabot Cliffs , Pinehurst 4 or 8, and a number of others.
I also agree with both of you about trying to tear up easy courses with extremely low scores ( even better than the pros ). I, too, like to play rounds as if I were golfing with my friends "awhile back" , when we were all around the 10-14 handicap range taking turns beating each other on the home course, and heading to the clubhouse for a couple.

:cheers1:
TexRanger7

Post by TexRanger7 »

My all-time best rounds since 2005 have been:

Frankfurter Golf Club / -18

Frankfurter Golf Club / -17

Westchester Golf Club / -17

Barton Creek - Fazio Foothills / -16

Saigon Golf and Country Club / -15

Jackson Hole Golf and Tennis Club / -15

I've quit playing all of these courses as being too easy.

All of these rounds were played with Pro Level / Back Tees / No Mulligans Allowed / No Gimmes Allowed / Moderate Green Hardness / Medium Green Speed / Moderate Pin Positions.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I have not played Frankfurter in awhile, but remember several times shooting sub-60 rounds on it. I am surprised that some John Brooks' real courses have not come up so far. There are a few real muni type courses that he has done where most par 4's play as long par 3's and par 5's play as long par 4's. Also the few sand traps where they exist are off more to the sides and do not have to shoot directly over them to get to pin. To off set this there are a couple of pin placements that make me mad when shooting a great round and have it messed up by missing a short putt, making me think what could have been---that is given most of these courses do not all have the sloping greens that he emulated pretty accurately at Austin CC.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

How many of you play at the Elite level (as opposed to Pro)?
That should make any course more difficult.
Just a thought...
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Elite level!? I accidentally started a round in that mode and was horrified at how difficult that is. Forget it, I'm not trying to accomplish anything profound playing Links, it's just for enjoyment. It's the same reason I don't keep playing with persimmon drivers/woods in my real life game (although I own a few), they're way too unforgiving compared to modern metal woods. I just want to enjoy myself on the course and not have to work until my hands bleed in order to play half way decently. FWIW
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

migolfer wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 9:40 pm Elite level!? I accidentally started a round in that mode and was horrified at how difficult that is. Forget it, I'm not trying to accomplish anything profound playing Links, it's just for enjoyment. It's the same reason I don't keep playing with persimmon drivers/woods in my real life game (although I own a few), they're way too unforgiving compared to modern metal woods. I just want to enjoy myself on the course and not have to work until my hands bleed in order to play half way decently. FWIW
Sounds like somebody's ready for Amateur mode from the ladies tees! :rofl: :kicking: :clapping:

Pete
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

I'm with migolfer. My p/c crashed and I had to reinstall everything including Links about a year ago. I didn't realise I was playing at Elite Level for a couple of months as my settings still showed Pro but I was a LOT worse than I used to be. And I was really struggling - a bit like Rory... So in desperation I uninstalled and re-installed the game and suddenly I was back to being the best golfer in the world again! Elite is for the elite. I am just a humble pro! Maybe Rory needs to uninstall his game somehow!

(But I am still not as good as I was when I was a Pro under Windows 7. Since using Windows 10 I have a lot less control when using the Classic Swing type as a clicker Has anyone else had similar problems?).
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Mickey-there are some of us who bought new computers and kept Windows 7 for Links.
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

I know about people continuing to use Windows 7. Setting up a new P/C to do that is a bit beyond me I am afraid! I actually found that I played best with XP... Still the best Golf Sim I have ever played though.