Colonial update

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
dorse72

Colonial update

Post by dorse72 »

Hey guys, I'm back, been lurking for awhile now, my long home reno job is finished and I wanted to finish up some projects I started. This old APCD keeps calling my name :/ Even after the Winged Foot debacle omg, I never wanted to touch the APCD again, but a new pc seems to have everything solved, and will test things as I go. I started Riviera, Harding Park, and Olympic quite a few yrs ago and still have them, so I will try my best to knock those out, they all have fairly good starts as well as the green contour books to match.

As for Colonial, I've been watching this weeks' tourney and looks like Colonial goes under the knife starting the day after the event. They've been mentioning some details on the renovation, NO yardage will be added, Gil Hanse is doing the work, they are bringing it back to 1940s when it was first opened, so should be interesting. They are doing major work to the 8th hole I understand, I'm guessing they will bring it next to the Trinity River there. Hanse did Olympic, Southern Hills, and many more, his redesigns are great, so I'm sure the course will need tweaked and bunkers reshaped, anxious to see the finished product. Colonials renovation wont be done until next spring, so cant start until then.

I have the green contours for Colonial, so there will be no more questioning the greens. Announcers just said it ranked #2 behind Detroit GC on putts made between 15-25' out of all the courses on tour last 20yrs, so it is a hard putting course, I didn't incorporate all the subtle breaks either. The greens book will give you guys the exact greens the pros putt on, should be cool. I'm going to start with this project and get used to the APCD again after a long break, takes me awhile to remember how to do some stuff. I'll try to post updates also

If everything goes well, I have a course I've been drooling over for a couple yrs now, but will leave that a surprise to see if I can finish these projects off. I know my track record has been sketchy lol, so we'll see :whistle: :cheers1:
pmgolf

Re: Colonial update

Post by pmgolf »

That's great news! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Pete
dko

Post by dko »

I think many of us will be cheering you on. I particularly love Colonial and Riviera (even though both kick my butt because of the greens) and wish you the best in your efforts. :fcrossed:
Doug
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

Colonial has some fire today! watching PGA Tour Live this morning and the greens are rock hard, fun to see, so proud :tongue:

Found a good article on the changes coming, very surprising, taking out alot of greenside and fwy bunkers, here is the plan and changes mainly to #8 and #13.

https://myavidgolfer.com/cover-story-a- ... -colonial/
Attachments
Colonial-Country-Club-768x525.png
Colonial-Country-Club-768x525.png (565.28 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
guitarget2019

Post by guitarget2019 »

:thumbup: :cheers1: :clapping:
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

Hole 1 w green lasered contour lines, have to get used to this program again and pick up speed gradually ...
Attachments
CCC1 green contours.png
CCC1 green contours.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 5103 times
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

All 18 greens have been contoured to 1", that was quite tedious I have to say. I MAY have had a few greens a little aggressive...possibly :tongue:
So it looks like the green complexes have changed quite a bit since I put this out. Remember I put this out in 2003! thats how long I've been here - ouch. Green outlines are alot different now and bunkers are either no longer there or different shaped. I'm going to hold off and resume work on the others I've started - Olympic, Riviera, Harding Park, NGLA while the renovation to Colonial is completed later this year, anxious to see what Hanse can do here. The area around #7 & #8 are going to be great I feel, sounds like they are going to clear out trees and bring the river and banks into play more, very cool. Also on #5 tee sounds like they are removing trees down the right and exposing the Trinity River to bring that into play.

Here are some screenshots -
#4 moving green contours into place 1" at a time
#11 long par 5, look how the green has changed in shape, white pattern was old green. wow
#13 before and after
Attachments
CCC 13 before after.jpg
CCC 13 before after.jpg (851.88 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
CCC 11 green.jpeg
CCC 11 green.jpeg (186.54 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
CCC 4 moving contour lines.jpg
CCC 4 moving contour lines.jpg (567.49 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

can't wait to play it when it's done dorsey!
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

It will look alot different for sure. I'm going to make new textures for it also, I love making new textures - I used to work on a golf course and it gets in your blood, have a Toro greens mower and my large backyard is 419 bermuda mowed to .5" - i know crazy, thats what my wife says lol. Going to try and use textures from it for new Colonial 2024. :thumbup:
Attachments
20230520_124713.jpg
20230520_124713.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 4993 times