Links Error message on start up

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
TexAgs

Links Error message on start up

Post by TexAgs »

I am reinstalling Links on a new computer setup. I have the game playing correctly (yea!) but when I launch I get an error (see image below). I installed from the original disk and installed (and reinstalled, and re-reinstalled patches 1.02, 1.05 and 1.07 plus the nVidia patch plus the LSPN patches in various order) but I still get the error message. I can get past the error message by clicking Restart Links and it goes to the game. But when it goes to the game it begins with the Intro Trailer, which I have to click through it as well, which is a nuisance, but I know I should not have to do that. I don't recall seeing the trailer in... forever! But there it is... every time. Anybody have any thoughts on how to eliminate this this two-part issue (error message + trailer)? It is not an Intel issue, as this is an AMD/Radeon machine.
:rant:
Links error.JPG
Links error.JPG (35.07 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
Adelade

Re: Links Error message on start up

Post by Adelade »

Does the same thing happen if you launch the game with the Links 2003\LinksMMIII instead of LinksLauncher?

Otherwise, maybe compatibility settings (right clicking the above files > Properties > Compatibility) if you havent tested that already?

I do remember seeing the Intro trailer before I fully completed my setup of Links, but Im not familiar with this exact problem, if the above does not work, hopefully someone else who is familiar with it will post.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Took a while but I finally made the connection - "loaded Links from disk". That probably has something to do with your problems. That disk was made back when cavemen were still using x486 computers. There is a problem with the RuKsHuK.exe file which will need to be replaced. It may have something to do with your current problem plus there is also an old "Insert Disk #1 to start game" problem that could be popping up later. Here is the RuKsHuK.exe you will need (first save your old one by prefixing the name with "old") - you can find it in your /Links 2003/ folder:

Download RuKsHuK.exe

In the shortcut's Properties (right click on the shortcut icon), set your Target to: "C:\Links 2003\LinksMMIII.exe". Select the Compatibility tab and set your "compatibility" to the one below and click "Run this program as an Administrator" as you see here:
s_2104.jpg
s_2104.jpg (60.39 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
If you are still getting the Links Launcher error you may have to make an entry to the VideoCard.txt file. I can look up instructions for doing it if needed. My PC is an AMD with a nVidia GeForce 1050 ti video card. My entry into the VideoCard.txt file's section named [Vendor = 0x10b4 "nVidia"] was: [0x1C82 = "GeForce 1050 Ti"]. Once you do the compatibility and Start program along with fixing the RuKsHuK.exe file you may be good to go. Come back if you're not.

The downloadable version of Links is a LOT easier to work with.

Pete
TexAgs

Post by TexAgs »

Does the same thing happen if you launch the game with the Links 2003\LinksMMIII instead of LinksLauncher?
Brilliant! I don't know if the game placed the Links Launcher as the shortcut on my desktop or if I created myself, but that (Links Launcher shortcut) was the issue. When I clicked the Links Launcher shortcut I received the error message. Then I clicked on the Links MMIII.exe file and it launched without the error message. So, I got rid of the Launcher shortcut and created a LinksMMIII shortcut - and error message has gone away.

Next issue is the trailer - solved! Disk 1 was still in the computer. Removed the disk, no more trailer.

Thanks for the assistance!
:thumbup: