Does Anyone Care About Shorter Tees?

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.

Do you like using tees shorter than 6000-6300 yds in Links? (preferably read post first)

Yes, and it is important to me
14%
Yes, but I would begrudgingly be ok with 6372
3%
I'd be fully ok with playing at 6372 but may ideally prefer something shorter.
No votes
Once in a blue moon I might use shorter tees, but I really dont care if they are skipped.
14%
I like the short tees to exist even if I am unlikely to use them myself
34%
Who gives a crap?
14%
I fully agree with skipping the shorter tees in favour of more/better pro tee choices
21%

Total votes: 29

AJ Allen

Re: Does Anyone Care About Shorter Tees?

Post by AJ Allen »

Adelade wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 1:33 pm I know what you mean Ian, though making things "in line with the real course" isnt always so straight forward. Real courses arent set in stone, they sometimes mow tee areas slightly different from year to year in some places, and all courses move their tee markers around all the time so as not to wear down the grass too much in one spot, even real scorecards dont tell the full truth in that regard.
That's so right. Even day to day distances are never the same as what you see on a scorecard. I believe the distance is measured from centre of tee block to centre of green down the center of the fairway, and if pins and tees are back, that could add 50 meters to the distance shown on the card.

That's why I wonder if it's really all that important to get the distance absolutely correct on an APCD real course design. After all, the card might show (for example) 450yds, and that could play anywhere from 420 to 480yds depending on the mood of the greenkeeper that day.

Cheers, AJ
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Adelade wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 1:33 pm I know what you mean Ian, though making things "in line with the real course" isnt always so straight forward. Real courses arent set in stone, they sometimes mow tee areas slightly different from year to year in some places, and all courses move their tee markers around all the time so as not to wear down the grass too much in one spot, even real scorecards dont tell the full truth in that regard.
Further to Adelaide's post I'm "Nit Picking" a course now and have observed that the distance displayed on the scorecard can be adjusted by 10 yards or more (plus or minus) depending on the tee position within the same tee box. As well as my reasons in my other post in some PGA tournaments they might play the Friday round from shorter "Non-Pro" tees, so I support keeping them.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Jimbo wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 11:01 amAs well as my reasons in my other post in some PGA tournaments they might play the Friday round from shorter "Non-Pro" tees, so I support keeping them.
The PGA occasionally using Blue tee distances for a hole here or there, sure, White tees mayyybe although I doubt they'd do that on most courses given how the Pros keep hitting longer and longer and courses struggling to accommodate and keep their fairway hazards relevant. Yellow tees? Really cant see it happening personally, but I wont pretend I watch a lot of the PGA, I just find it very hard to believe.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade, AJ,
I appreciate that all courses, change for many and varied reasons, but you can only make the course as it exists during your design phase.
After issuing Wade Hampton for Beta testing, I was informed by a Links Corner member (JWGriffith?) that there had been modifications made to the course since my Beta issue. I updated those changes prior to the Final ( :laugh: ) upload and I have during the changes for the Wade Hampton GC 2021 revision discovered another change. This change has been incorporated.
No matter how many changes to the course they make in the future, this upload will be my final one. It is as true to the course as the information I currently have access to. In the future if there are modifications to the course then only if there is a member of Wade Hampton GC who also happens to play Wade Hampton GC 2021 on Links2003, only he or she will know that it is no longer is a true rendition. (And if there is such a person, why the hell haven't they made themselves known and helped me :rant: )
Ian
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Here's a thought...if you go to a club's website you can see the "official" distances for each hole from the various tee blocks. Of course because tee boxes can be ten yards long (or longer) those "official card" distances can vary from day to day (depending how the greenskeeper feels😄) and you'll hardly ever get every hole playing to the "card" distance.
Here's an idea for our designers...set one of your tees to the official card distance...put it right in the centre of your tee box- (3, 4 or 5 on the difficulty scale...there are 9 spots available. That will give you maximum opportunity to utilize the entire tee box while still allowing a player to play an "official length" round.
I hope I explained that correctly.

Fire away.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Again not sure what you mean Jimbo. Difficulty scale? 9 spots? (and you still didnt respond to me earlier in the other thread when I asked what you meant by the way)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Adelade wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:34 am Again not sure what you mean Jimbo. Difficulty scale? 9 spots? (and you still didnt respond to me earlier in the other thread when I asked what you meant by the way)
Hi Adelaide. If you check the tee positions in each tee box you'll find 9 spots-3 easy, 3 moderate and 3 difficult.
We all know that the groundskeeper decides which tee to use every day (depending on what kind of night he or she had.😉
Anyway my suggestion was to make the yardage that appears on the "official" club card for each hole correspond to one of the 3 "Moderate" tees...then add or subtract yardage based on the "Easy" or "Difficult" description of the other tees in that tee box.

As for my earlier comment I think it would be interesting to have different players with varying levels of ability in order to take advantage of the different ways to play a hole from different tees.
I probably didn't describe that any better but I'll check the feedback.😁
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I have never heard of that, Jimbo. I haven't seen any marks on the course or scorecard that indicate it either. Could this be something they do in Great Britain maybe? With the courses I've played, where I saw the pin positions being changed, I've never seen the groundsman refer to anything when placing the tees. I checked the USGA site - still nothing on it. Have you got any idea where I can find information on these easy, moderate and difficult tees? Thanks.

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Hm I've never heard of that either but I could believe it. However, are you saying to plant several tees for one tee box and tee "colour"? That only makes it even more difficult to fit all the different tee colours into a Links course, we're limited to 5 tees per hole.
TexAgs

Post by TexAgs »

I think Adelade raises a great discussion. I support the "real tees" for a real course but also advocate for fictional tees. But you only get 5 tees, so decisions will need to me made. To devote a mix of tees to real and fictional setups is perfectly ok with me. I defer to creativity in design, not mechanical replication. Why not mix it up and give both, to the extent possible?