BACK TEES VS NON-BACK TEES

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Jimbo

BACK TEES VS NON-BACK TEES

Post by Jimbo »

As you may know by now, I'm enjoying "nit picking" new BETA Real courses. One thing I'm looking at are the Links yardages from the various tees compared to the scorecard that each club usually posts on its website, as well as websites like Skygolf.

Recently I've been doing some (wait for it)...thinking and I started to wonder (another dangerous thing)...

How many Linksters actually play from the "closer" tees, and if so, do you have a different ani? And if you have a different ani do you adjust their club distances? I admit that I've almost always played from the tips (sometimes a tour simulation may move some tees around), but it just struck me as odd that I've been missing a different aspect of the whole game-especially if you have to "play it honestly".

Am I nuts?

Just wondering...you don't have to answer the last part unless you're so inclined...
pmgolf

Re: BACK TEES VS NON-BACK TEES

Post by pmgolf »

I've never found adjusting club distances to work correctly. I wish it would.

PEte
bostonlefty

Post by bostonlefty »

I do it all the time. Courses can play very differently from the front tees. I mostly hit the "Random Tee" box, although will also hit "front" or "middle."

I have different anis and different player names, actually I just add "NB" (not back) to the players name, so they have their own stats. I also play all 3 swing types, so I have 6 sets of stats. I compete with myself on the swing types, as well as against recorded players or the Links players whose skills I've graded down to assorted levels for better competition.

One of the main reasons I love Links is that my scores are realistic (in my dreams). Classic avg scr is about 74.8 back and 71.4 NB -
Real Time slightly higher and Power Stroke about a stroke higher.

I see the Links Tourney scores 56??? from the back - maybe 5000 martinis ago, but I doubt it

BL
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Boston:

Quick question-I see that you only have 19 posts...it looks like you've only been around since the beginning of the year-allow me to offer a belated "Welcome to the Zoo". :rofl:
And (assuming that you're from Boston) I love the Union Oyster House, although I probably won't be back any time soon.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Jimbo wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 4:02 am(assuming that you're from Boston) I love the Union Oyster House, although I probably won't be back any time soon.
I went there 30 years ago. Loved it! A frame structure that was around 150 years old back then. Glad it's still going strong. The biggest plate of fried oysters I've ever been served! :clapping:

Pete
bostonlefty

Post by bostonlefty »

I've been around for about 8 years, although when "Links Corner" crashed about 2 years ago I had to re-register.

I've always appreciated the quick responses/answers to my issues on the Forum. I regularly check the Forums, but I'm seldom well versed enough to contribute useful information.

I'm familiar with the Oyster House, lately I buy my oysters at the grocery store, have gotten better at opening them with scars to show for it - which might explain my Links scores
TexAgs

Post by TexAgs »

Except for IRL accuracy (and even that is of questionable value) tees that shorten the course too much are of no interest to me, and I realize that I speak only for myself in that regard. In this game we all hit the ball nearly 300 yards consistently, so what's the point of moving up on the tee box? Or adjusting down the club distances. It just does not appeal to me.

If you want to create multiple tees that are all "back tees" but staggered or placed in such a way that any of the tees could be played with comparable difficulty, although a slightly different look or angle, then that would have my attention. IMO, that would add more to the course than simply adding in progressively shorter tees that just make the hole play shorter. I could endorse a "par 3 tee" where there is one set of tees designed so that each hole is reachable from the tee - of course that may undercut any IRL aspect of the design. I would not feel compelled to stay "traditional" when it comes to tee box placement. For IRL accuracy, you may want to give the actual tee locations for the back tees, but after that feel free to get creative with the other tees.
:tomato:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

TexAgs, you may want to look at Crooked Creek HD from the Forward tees, Old Head HD from the red (Ladies) tees, and Whistling Straits HD and Pine Valley from the Ladies Tees. Longer tees make the holes play differently.

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Shorter doesn't always equate to easier. Depending on how the course is setup, it could create a risk/reward situation that is not present when playing from the tips. It might also allow for different pins and/or conditions to be used because of a different club used for the approach shot.
No matter where you go, there you are.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

GoBucks wrote: September 4th, 2020, 12:36 pm Shorter doesn't always equate to easier. Depending on how the course is setup, it could create a risk/reward situation that is not present when playing from the tips. It might also allow for different pins and/or conditions to be used because of a different club used for the approach shot.
A good case in point would be where Muirfield Village hosted tournaments in back to back weeks recently. I am thinking of hole #14 especially as with tees set way back few players try to drive water hazard to get close to green risking possibly going into water to right side as would end up having a pitch shot to green at best and if lay up then only have a controlled full pitching wedge to hit that stops really good on left to right downhill sloping green. Most of the divots ended up in the same spot with players laying drives up---so decision was made to move tees way forward to where players saw reward of reaching green with their drives on this par 4 for some days during each of the 2 tournaments. I am thinking that in years before this was not set up as a driveable par 4. With the divot issue the way golf is there is a saying to play shot as it lies unless have soggy conditions with standing water where can get relief or have course conditions where ground under repair is designated. My personal feeling playing on not so great conditioned courses that even in Summertime the course rules were such that could move ball no nearer hole, say 6 inches if it was in fairway.