New Question re Copying/Pasting Links 2003 to new computer

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
btasm

New Question re Copying/Pasting Links 2003 to new computer

Post by btasm »

As mentioned in another post here, I am copying/pasting links from and old (and failing) computer to new computer from an external hard drive. I thought I had done this successfully (except failing to move Players, Saved Shots, etc.) but now I noticed a new issue. Unless the external hard drive is plugged in, none of the courses appear - even though ALL of the courses I've installed are found in the Courses folder in the game on the new computer. I get a message, when choosing a course "Please insert the CD entitled " " into the CD-ROM Drive"

Can anyone explain what I need to do? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
pmgolf

Re: New Question re Copying/Pasting Links 2003 to new computer

Post by pmgolf »

You do know that you still have to INSTALL Links on the new computer, right? Courses should go in the /Courses/ folder inside the /Links 2003/ folder. More info about what you are doing would help a lot!

Pete
btasm

Post by btasm »

To be honest, that's what I was hoping to avoid, i.e. starting from scratch. I wanted to "port" my "old" installed version of Links from one computer to the next without having to hunt down the discs and re-run everything. The copy/paste of the game (which had been copied to an external hard drive) did result in creating what certainly looks like a complete version of the game in my new C drive and it starts up. But no course. . .unless the external drive is plugged in - even though I start from the Links Launcher in the version installed in the C drive.

Must I start from scratch?
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

You cannot port the installation. All the registry settings would be missing.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

If you're as organized as me, you might find it easier to get the downloadable copy of Links 2003 than to find your CD's. People find it easier to work with, and it costs a whopping $6.99. You can get it at the "Links Corner Home" (shown in the menu line above).

Don't forget to apply the "1.07 patch" and the "nVidia patch" (regardless of the kind of video card you have - it gives you the option for wide-screen). Also don't bother to buy any courses yet. Almost all of the formerly Pay-2-Play courses are free now along with all other courses being free, and download everything made by Mike Jones and Robert Miller, plus Augusta National (newest), Crooked Creek HD, Valhalla GC PGA Edition, and at least 50 others that will be recommended to you!

Pete
btasm

Post by btasm »

Well, thanks all. I do indeed have every CD - and floppy disc - going back to the original version of the game. I'll take them out of the cabinet and get started.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Andy wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 10:43 pm You cannot port the installation. All the registry settings would be missing.
PCmover by Laplink claims to do exactly that, but that would be my last choice. It can even move applications across different versions of Windows, but has some limitations, such as the old PC can't have more than one HD or partition. These days, I'm sure most of us have more than one drive installed.
dick burt

Post by dick burt »

paradigm:
Re-install programs, copy & paste data....