Links 2003 realistic difficulty

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
FOOOOORE!

Re: Links 2003 realistic difficulty

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Danny D wrote: June 21st, 2020, 1:39 pm What is Cue Club 2?
I have played other pool/snooker games (VP3, but not 4, and Pool Nation FX - pretty, but overkill), and the physics of Cue Club 2 are superior, none of the problems you mention. There is 2D and 3D, and overall it's extremely well done. cueclub.com is the website, I think the game sells for about 18USD. Best not go on with his topic, unless by PM ;)
karnaktwo

Post by karnaktwo »

Don't compare stats to PGA stats but totally agree with pmgolf re changing from the Click style of play to RTS. I really feel as if I'm playing golf not a game (in the mind). I have the player position set to close and no grid on the green. Just as with the real thing, no one can tell you how hard to stroke putts and you can hook and slice the ball with an imperfect swing at elite level. My Links handicap will be around plus one in Links, real one 9. Tour players still hit the ball further than my Links swing although I have had 345 plus drives occasionally. Were I unable to play the real thing this is a very enjoyable second option.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Karnak2, I've found that I can hit the ball more consistently (long shots) by watching the animation swing. I pause at the top when his hands make a triangle with his shoulders.

Pete
karnaktwo

Post by karnaktwo »

pmgolf I have tried that and had good results sometimes but just like the real thing I can be different one day to the next. I wouldn't still be playing this game after so long if it was easy, just like the real thing. I think that is Links secret.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

This post might be more appropriate in the "Designers" thread but as far as real courses are concerned, I suggest going the "Lambton" route and trying to get as much input from:

1. The best designer colleagues,
2. The specific club website-clubs have really improved their local websites,
3. Websites like Golf Advisor are great for showing satellite views of course layouts, AND,
4. Any Linksters who may be (or might have been) familiar with the local area but lack the patience, ability or both to work with APCD themselves and like to "nit pick" :smile:

A perfect example is taking place now with Lambton. We have almost a dozen pages of input, some of which has come from somebody in Category 4 :whistle: and believe me, when I play the Beta I feel that I'm back in Toronto (honest :thumbup: )...there are a couple of other local clubs that I've been able to look at and hopefully given some input (it's great to see that my "Canada" post has yielded some great results!)

And the same goes for Sage with Chambers Bay.

I'm always available for input if you're working in the "Great White North". :naughty:

Anyway, that's my two cents (Canadian) input for this post.
Last edited by Jimbo on April 28th, 2021, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We know that the "Amateur" level is very forgiving and that the "Elite" level is for masochists :wallbash: but what's the difference between "Pro" and "Champ"? I've tried both and they feel the same.

What level do you play at? I play Pro.
I think I put my previous post in the wrong thread.
Last edited by Jimbo on April 28th, 2021, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixieman

Post by Dixieman »

Playing Elite Classic, I'm pretty happy with the realism of my stats (except I need to improve on the putting).

Avg. Score: 69.71

% Drives in Fairway: 58

% Greens in Regulation: 68

Ave. Putts/18 Holes: 27.52
Doug
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

Jimbo wrote: April 27th, 2021, 8:29 pm We know that the "Amateur" level is very forgiving and that the "Elite" level is for masochists :wallbash: but what's the difference between "Pro" and "Champ"? I've tried both and they feel the same.

What level do you play at? I play Pro.
I congratulate you for your ability to hit the snap perfectly every time! :dunno:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Kunkel-believe me I don't hit it every time! I play the online tournaments...the Amateur level will put your shots in the fairway almost every time...you almost have to deliberately hit a bad shot. Like I said in my post you have to be a robot to make a shot in Elite....or Dixie.😄
I think most people play Pro. I just didn't find that there was much if any difference between the two "middle skill levels.
My other issue was how people can score 77 under par in a four round tournament.
TexAgs

Post by TexAgs »

I played exclusively Pro for a loooong time when I started the game and I would call it my 'first language' and my snap and intuition is grooved to the Pro game. To jazz things up I've played a significant stint on Elite, Champ and Amateur and have a solid understanding of the challenges of each although I am not as good (comparatively) on those levels. I always play as a clicker. So, with that as a qualifier, I say Pro is closer to Amateur. Champ is closer to Elite. There is a significant gap between Pro and Champ.

On Pro, the snap "touching but just left" or "touching but just right" is often as good as hitting dead on. And the drift from a missed snap compared to Champ or Elite is about 1/2 the distance, or less, to the left or right (variations exist, but that is a good approximation for discussion). The important factor on that is that "touching" snap on Pro usually finds the fairway, and "touching" snap on Champ/Elite does not! Playing from the rough, especially with high grass just off the fairway (as many new APCD courses tend to have) into challenging greens has a tendency to take a lot of birdie opportunities away. Since my snap is grooved to allow for the Pro "touching" snap, I often find myself fighting for a fairways when I play Champ, and that kills my score.

Putting: Pro putting is much easier than Champ. You quickly learn to "snap correct" or hedge your Pro putts via snapping just early or late. Too much power, just snap a little early and you may correct the aim in mid swing (vice versa when you underpower). That is much tougher to do on Champ, and on Champ a "touching snap" on a mid range putt will often miss the hole, whereas on Pro it is more likely to follow your read into the hole.

Interestingly, on Amateur, I found I had to have the read right to make the putt, and the right power that matched the read, to make the putt.
Snapping early or late to correct the power did not work! So, in a way, Am has its own challenges on putting compared to pro. :laugh:

To bring this back to the OP - to me, Champ best compares to the actual PGA Tour golf. Everybody is free to have their own interpretations.

I'll climb off the soapbox .... :tiphat: