Links 2003 realistic difficulty

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Jimbo

Re: Links 2003 realistic difficulty

Post by Jimbo »

I just checked the scoreboards on the Links Tour. Only one person is playing Elite and the Champ scores are more in keeping with a real tour event (no seventy under par).
Maybe I'll pour myself one and try it again! :rofl:

I mean coffee...
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Jimbo wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:08 pm I just checked the scoreboards on the Links Tour. Only one person is playing Elite and the Champ scores are more in keeping with a real tour event (no seventy under par).
Maybe I'll pour myself one and try it again! :rofl:

I mean coffee...
I started with Pro for many years but yes, the scores just get way too silly.
Champ I've been playing for quite a while now and it's an excellent difficulty level imo.
My stats have improved since my first post with Champ. In the future may even take a look at Elite although from memory trying it in the past, it was a little too unrealistic.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Last year on LSPN I compiled a comparison of stats for the different swing types and difficulty settings. The sample size for some types were pretty low (especially champ+powertroke, which you can tell), stats from within the tours you have to apply to could not conveniently be included, and there are a few other reasons why it isnt a perfect comparison, so dont take these stats TOO seriously, but I still think they tell some really interesting and key aspects of how the modes differ from eachother. At least I found it very insightful.

Please dont use these statistics as a way of arguing that any style of play is superior to any other, everyone is different and should play how they want. That being said, if caring about emulating realistic pro scores, there are definitely some options that seem better or worse in general. I remember one of my takeaways was that Pro+Powerstroke arguably seems to give most realistic stats, so Ive been kinda tempted to make a serious attempt at converting to that some day. Im still very pleased with my current setup at Champ+Classic though, so it may be a while, there are loads of different things you can do on your own to tweak difficulty of individual parts of the game to become or stay more realistic, some even aside from changing actual settings.

LSPN Statistics.jpg
LSPN Statistics.jpg (214.54 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

This is extremely valuable-no matter what your own ability might be. I think that many of us are losing strokes on the greens.
Merci beaucoup!
Is there anybody who can regularly break par with Elite or RTS?
Looking at the Online tournaments I see some ridiculously (I would say impossibly) low scores at Amateur (no surprise) and Pro (some surprise) while few people are going to the higher levels.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Jimbo, we have a fellow who plays the World Tour who consistently breaks par while playing Elite Classic. He shoots in the 50's most of the time. All it takes is practice.

Pete
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Has he considered a career as a teaching pro? :smile:
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

pmgolf wrote: April 29th, 2021, 6:59 pm All it takes is practice.

Pete
And lots of charts! :thumbup: :laugh:
I could never play like that.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Adelade wrote: April 29th, 2021, 9:27 am Last year on LSPN I compiled a comparison of stats for the different swing types and difficulty settings.
Interesting charts Adelade. I may try Elite Classic one day looking at the charts.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: April 30th, 2021, 2:43 am
Adelade wrote: April 29th, 2021, 9:27 am Last year on LSPN I compiled a comparison of stats for the different swing types and difficulty settings.
Interesting charts Adelade. I may try Elite Classic one day looking at the charts.
I have dabbled around with elite throughout the years, but my playing partner refused to play anything but pro click, so I never took it serious enough to stick with it. But I played around with it enough to know that, if I ever started playing seriously by myself again, that I would take up elite mode full time. Playing well in that mode gave me a more satisfactory and rewarding feeling of accomplishment than any other swing method, and produced more realistic scores. I was also a pro and champ power-stroker before my partner and I started playing pro-click full time, and I loved the PS swing method too. My least favorite swing was pro-click, but I played it for fun and enjoyment with my pard for 20 years. :kicking:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added