Colonial Country Club 2020 Play Along Rounds

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
FOOOOORE!

Re: Colonial Country Club 2020 Play Along Rounds

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I decided not to play this email tournament. If I had just started playing Links last week, I'd likely have no problem playing without the "putting assistant". But I started playing it 19 years ago, and have used the same settings all those years, and it just felt plain weird to play any differently. Won't it be a bit apples & oranges anyway, in that you're allowing all swing types and playing levels?
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I always allow all skill levels and swing types at this site. We're playing the same course, right? In real life would you expect left-handers and right-handers to be grouped separately? :smile:

Pete
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

You're allowing lefties??? :scared: :laugh: I was thinking more of players on different tees, or using the mouse swing instead of click-click-click. But I guess no one's playing for money, so it's all good. I just felt clueless without that putting line. I do use the other indicator too, but it's more about the combination of the two that I'm so used to. We're playing a video game in 2D, and without those aids there is very little depth perception on the greens.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

All Links players play from the same tees - clickers and non-clickers, whether money in involved or not. Sounds like you've never played in a Links tournament before. You ought to try it. After all, it's just for fun.

Pete
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Actually no I haven't. I remember way back I used to play a friend by just typing in his IP. Was that just available in the original Links version? I'm living in the Philippines now, in an area with only poor wifi connection, so I'm not sure how well online play would work for me. If I want to download anything of decent size, I get up at 3:30-4am before everyone here starts twiddling their phones.
Blade

Post by Blade »

pmgolf wrote: June 18th, 2020, 11:55 pm All Links players play from the same tees - clickers and non-clickers, whether money in involved or not. Sounds like you've never played in a Links tournament before. You ought to try it. After all, it's just for fun.

Pete
The fact that no official events permit the use of the Putting Assistant, he might struggle to enjoy playing without using it, he claims he's been a long time user of the P/A for some 19 years.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Gowoods wrote: June 19th, 2020, 3:04 am The fact that no official events permit the use of the Putting Assistant, he might struggle to enjoy playing without using it, he claims he's been a long time user of the P/A for some 19 years.
Thanks for that info. You are correct, no way I'd change how I play just to play online tournaments. It all comes down to enjoyment of the game, and way back then there was no one around saying you shouldn't use this or that option because...

Did anyone here ever buy the club they were selling that plugged into a serial port? It was a very short club so you could swing it under an 8-foot ceiling without breaking the ceiling light, and weighted so it felt like you were swinging a real club. It went for about $600 CAD even back then, and I can't imagine too many were sold.