Poll: Naming Updated Courses

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.

Do you personally want each version of the same course to have unique names within Links?

Yes, it's desirable to make it easy to distinguish between them.
78%
I dont care.
6%
No, it's enough to be able to distinguish them in the .crz filenames, and nicer when they only show the actual name of the course.
16%

Total votes: 32

Adelade

Poll: Naming Updated Courses

Post by Adelade »

Wanted to check opinions on this since I've seen at least one person (dont remember who) on each opposite camp on this one. I remember someone on the old forums mention that they wanted course names as they show up during a round to be as neat and clean as possible and not contain a lot of distracting / ugly numbers or stuff, saying they thought that sort of thing was for the filenames. Whereas on the other hand there have also been opinions expressed about how people would want course names to be distinctly different between different versions of the same course even in the course list, to make it easier to distinguish between them. The name of course that shows up during a round will always be the same as the one that appears in the course list (though they can always be further distinguished in the course manager). Some common examples of the type of name-parts Im talking about are "2014", "HD", "Beta", "Final", "Version 2". I have a feeling I know what the poll result is going to be like but I still wanted to check.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Re: Poll: Naming Updated Courses

Post by pmgolf »

When setting up tournaments it causes a great deal of confusion when the names of different versions are exactly the same. Keeping the name the same doesn't allow the new version to completely overlay and replace the old version since the course id and Key change and they are what's used to identify the version. Think about the problems it would cause if you gave your child your exact full name without adding "junior" or the "2nd or 3rd, etc". They would face legal problems and confusion throughout their life! (I was named after my grandfather, and I am the 2nd).

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I believe each additional version of the same course should have it's own unique identification. Since there typically shouldn't be more than 1 version released in a years time, I think the year should be added to the course name of any additional releases after the original first one. For example, "Blackrock CC", followed by "Blackrock CC 2020", and "Blackrock CC 2024" etc etc...

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

All that's needed is two or three big wheels with a bunch of different names on each. Then you just spin the wheels to see where the pointers end up. "Woody Beaver Hollow", "Swampy Bluebird Paradise", "Lone Buffalo Patty", "Broken Putter Pond"; you can see there are many possibilities once you design those wheels.
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

FOOOOORE! wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:34 am All that's needed is two or three big wheels with a bunch of different names on each. Then you just spin the wheels to see where the pointers end up. "Woody Beaver Hollow", "Swampy Bluebird Paradise", "Lone Buffalo Patty", "Broken Putter Pond"; you can see there are many possibilities once you design those wheels.
WTF :dunno:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

FOOOOORE! wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:34 am All that's needed is two or three big wheels with a bunch of different names on each. Then you just spin the wheels to see where the pointers end up. "Woody Beaver Hollow", "Swampy Bluebird Paradise", "Lone Buffalo Patty", "Broken Putter Pond"; you can see there are many possibilities once you design those wheels.
And oranges and submarines! :dunno:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Danny D wrote: April 27th, 2020, 1:51 pm I believe each additional version of the same course should have it's own unique identification. Since there typically shouldn't be more than 1 version released in a years time, I think the year should be added to the course name of any additional releases after the original first one. For example, "Blackrock CC", followed by "Blackrock CC 2020", and "Blackrock CC 2024" etc etc...

:cheers1: Dan
What he said. Very simple solution.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Adding year is what I was planning on doing too, poll looked closer initially but turned out like I expected in the end.

I finally figured out what you mean FOOOOORE! had no clue at first :laugh: I guess... that is one way of doing it :P
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...