Courses with the Toughest Greens

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
RobV

Courses with the Toughest Greens

Post by RobV »

Looking for your opinion on a few courses with the toughest greens. Now, I am not talking about greens that are absolutely ridiculous and unplayable, there are some out there that are just so unrealistic, that in my opinion are just not fun to play... looking for the ones that actually make you think and where approach shots need to be strategically placed on the green and have realistic, but putting is challenging at the same time.

Any ideas? thanks!
fiver

Re: Courses with the Toughest Greens

Post by fiver »

Augusta National
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Crooked Creek
dick burt

Post by dick burt »

Augusta National.....that's why I hardly play it! :ill:
BruMu

Post by BruMu »

Also TPC Woodlands with Mc/Fc or Fc/Fc - Enjoy watching this tournament on TV every year almost as much as Masters. Bring your putting "A+ Game" I always say :smile:
These are the Good Ole Days, just wait and see.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I think a lot of courses are like that, as long as one plays them enough times to get familiar with the greens. Not sure if I could single one out apart from the obvious Augusta, but perhaps Torrey Pines?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
RobV

Post by RobV »

Thanks for the replies, guys... as far as Augusta.. well, I have played my share of that course over multiple golf games over the years and of course Links, so truth be told.. I am all Augusta'd out.

I definitely have played TPC Woodlands and not sure about Crooked Creek... I have hundreds of courses and I am sure I have played it, but maybe I give this one another go.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Sorry. I had already included Augusta when I read your message. Maybe someone else might like to try it.

1) I've got 2 files for you, that you can play against. Two courses. You would be wise to play a practice round first.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ny6jkqfkc4pzg ... c.REC?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0reyrx3xim17b ... c.REC?dl=0

2) Put these files in the "/Recorded Rounds/" folder.:
Rec Rnds print.jpg
Rec Rnds print.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 6996 times

3) Download "Crooked Creek HD" and "Augusta National 2009" from LinksCorner.org and put the .CRX files in your "/Courses/" folder inside the "/Links 2003/" folder. Start Links, Select "Play Golf", next screen select "New Round", next screen choose "Crooked Creek HD", No Mulligans, No Gimmees, Allow chipping on the greens, Breezy, Moderate Challenging, Fast Challenging, Moderate Pin Positions, and click the "Next" button.

4) Player screen. Add your player if it isn't already there. Click the "Record Round" box if you'd like to go back and look at or play against your round.

5) Click "Add Player". Find the "Crooked Creek HD" recorded round for pmgolf-LSPN. The animation for the player is Sean Connery (or James Braid, Ted Ray, JH Taylor, Stoic Russell or NORM). Click OK.

6). Click "Begin Play".

7). You will get a message box. When playing against a recorded player, you MUST use the pins that the recorded player used. Click "OK" and begin play.

NEXT MATCH. Repeat steps 1 thru 7, replacing "Crooked Creek HD" with "Augusta National 2009" in the instructions. For step 3, do this: Start Links, Select "Play Golf", next screen select "New Round", next screen choose "Augusta National 2009", No Mulligans, No Gimmees, Allow chipping on the greens, No Wind, Firm Challenging, Fast Challenging, Moderate Pin Positions, and click the "Next" button. The greens are incredibly accurate. (He shoots 1 under par (recorded 8 days ago)).

Let me know how you do. I have approx. 4,000 recorded rounds from a large variety of players.

Pete
NateMullins

Post by NateMullins »

Augusta National (any version though 2009 seems the most challenging - three-putted 4 times last I played it on Fc/Mc), Pinehurst No. 2 (either HD or Restoration HD), Oakmont HD 2010, Oakland Hills South 2008, Burns' Old Links HD, and why not...though there are some flattish areas there are also some BIG slopes on Devils Island 2008!
Elite Classic, Panoramic except Close-up on/near green
cougar24

Post by cougar24 »

Play any course by Mike Jones. The greens on his courses have a lot of subtle breaks on them. You think you have a good read on your putt... Nope! :wallbash: You'll know what I mean after you play them a few times.