Links on Windows 7 Ultimate x64?

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
FOOOOORE!

Re: Links on Windows 7 Ultimate x64?

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Interesting. I'd be concerned about lack of security updates though. I haven't used Explorer for many years, and Edge never. I've gotten used to Chrome, but Firefox was just as good. With those free utilities I listed above, you get all the good stuff Win 10 offers, and you can turn off all the things we don't like: the "toaster slices" coming out of the right edge of your monitor, the telemetry (spying) MS would like to use, all the useless "people", "shopping", shortcut panels or whatever they're called. And I have a Start button, a choice of three "classic" Start menus. It looks and works pretty much like Win 7.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

FOOOOORE! wrote: July 6th, 2020, 8:31 am And I have a Start button, a choice of three "classic" Start menus. It looks and works pretty much like Win 7.
I have no problems how it looks or works, it's quite good when you get used to it. What I don't like is how it changes under the hood and will continue to do so. It kills old games and will continue to do so. On Windows 7 you could run any golf game from the past. Now there are 2 left that are relatively problem free for most people, Links 2003 and Golden Bear Challenge.

The games below all worked on older OS. Now many people can't run these games.

Links 2001
All Links LS series (Wiped out for all users)
Tiger Woods series
PGA 2000 (Wiped out for all users)

The biggest issue, the next Win 10 update could potentially kill Links 2003 and GBC as well, it keeps changing.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

FOOOOORE! wrote: July 6th, 2020, 8:31 am Interesting. I'd be concerned about lack of security updates though. I haven't used Explorer for many years, and Edge never. I've gotten used to Chrome, but Firefox was just as good. With those free utilities I listed above, you get all the good stuff Win 10 offers, and you can turn off all the things we don't like: the "toaster slices" coming out of the right edge of your monitor, the telemetry (spying) MS would like to use, all the useless "people", "shopping", shortcut panels or whatever they're called. And I have a Start button, a choice of three "classic" Start menus. It looks and works pretty much like Win 7.
I've got Windows 10 and the Classic Shell, too. How did you turn off those "toaster slices"? I got rid of the shortcut panels already. And I have Windows 7 on my backup computer.

Pete
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

pmgolf wrote: July 6th, 2020, 12:20 pm I've got Windows 10 and the Classic Shell, too. How did you turn off those "toaster slices"? I got rid of the shortcut panels already. And I have Windows 7 on my backup computer.

Pete
If you haven't got Winaero Tweaker, get it here. It's free, and can turn off a ton of things. Is that User Account Control popup driving you nuts every time you run an application? WA can disable that, and the toast.

https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Still Linksing wrote: July 6th, 2020, 11:25 am The games below all worked on older OS. Now many people can't run these games.
The biggest issue, the next Win 10 update could potentially kill Links 2003 and GBC as well, it keeps changing.
Tagging "compatibility mode" doesn't fix things?
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

FOOOOORE! wrote: July 10th, 2020, 5:35 am
Still Linksing wrote: July 6th, 2020, 11:25 am The games below all worked on older OS. Now many people can't run these games.
Tagging "compatibility mode" doesn't fix things?
No, nowhere near as simple as that. There are masses of old games that no longer work or don't work properly. I managed to run everything on Win 7. Games from the 70's right through to modern games, absolutely every single game I managed to get working. Under Win 10, no such hope. I've gone to using a Win XP machine to run the old games. There are games I'm not prepared to lose like Links LS 2000.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Surprisingly, Links 2003 for now is best run on my Win 10 machine. Both visuals and performance are as good as they've ever been. I can't equal this on an older system.

Oh, something interesting, it appears if you own Links LS 2000, you can't even get the setup to run. It just doesn't work which is really odd as it should. Yet to find a user who can run it. You need the Links championship edition of the game or whatever it was called to get an installer that runs on Win 10.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Just found this pic I took. It's my arsenal of PC's to allow me to run all my fav games. I think there will be enough PC's here and used parts available to purchase to see out the rest of my life. I refuse to let Microsoft dictate how long I can enjoy something. :thumbup: :laugh:
I currently have 3 of them in use.

pcs.jpg
pcs.jpg (229.63 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Aaaargh! Those remind me of what I left behind when I moved to the Philippines. I gave away a Corsair Graphite 760T case exactly like this one: https://www.gumtree.com/p/desktop-works ... 1368788192

..that easily held five HDs, an SSD and a DVD/CD combo. That is now all stuffed into the tin box you see here, or actually attached to the open side with twist tie in some cases. 17TB of drive, and no way to fit it all into that tiny case. The CPU cooler is so tall I couldn't even put the side cover back on, and that little blue fan is normally pressed up against the opening to help keep everything cool.

I know MS had some sort of anti-copying code on some of their games that caused problems with later versions of Windows.. searching now for it.

OK, they had something called SafeDisk on the game CDs, and there would be a file named secdrv.sys on the CD. Win 10 cannot deal with that, and won't allow the game to install. There is a thread on it here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2e08a06544

Have you considered having a dual-boot system, allowing you to choose between Win 7 and Win 10 on the same PC? There's plenty of info online on how to do that.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

FOOOOORE! wrote: July 10th, 2020, 11:40 am Aaaargh! Those remind me of what I left behind when I moved to the Philippines. I gave away a Corsair Graphite 760T case exactly like this one: https://www.gumtree.com/p/desktop-works ... 1368788192
Yes, know all about regrets of giving gaming stuff away! :laugh:
I wish I had my old Pentium 400 running Win 98 pictured above but that PC is long gone. I won't go into all the other gaming things I gave away! :wallbash:
FOOOOORE! wrote: July 10th, 2020, 11:40 am OK, they had something called SafeDisk on the game CDs, and there would be a file named secdrv.sys on the CD. Win 10 cannot deal with that, and won't allow the game to install. There is a thread on it here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2e08a06544
Yep, aware of that but it really hasn't got in the way of running any game I can think of.
FOOOOORE! wrote: July 10th, 2020, 11:40 am Have you considered having a dual-boot system, allowing you to choose between Win 7 and Win 10 on the same PC? There's plenty of info online on how to do that.
This isn't possible if the hardware doesn't support the operating system. My Win 10 PC hardware needs Win 10 or it won't work. You can't install Win 7 or anything else on it. MS are making sure they will force everyone onto Win 10 sooner or later. The only way around it is by what I have done. All 5 of those PC's could run Links 2003 if needed. Spare parts should be available well after I'm gone.
Golf Sim Clubhouse