Decisions, decisions

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Still Linksing

Decisions, decisions

Post by Still Linksing »

Last time I would've played Links 2003 would've been 2016!

Been hooked on LS 2000 last few years. Just finished my LS 2000 season and now I'm going back to 2003 for a while.
It'll kinda be fun because I'll be switching from being a Pro player in the past to Champ click.

I'm about to set up the Links 2003 season but can't decide on a few things. I have some extra options in 2003 that aren't there in 2000. Not sure after playing 2000 and really enjoying it if I should use the 2003 additional features. I'm speaking of:

Green Analyzer
It was fun shooting to greens not being sure if you are shooting to the correct location on the green. Trying to remember the greens over knowing exactly where to aim was a lot of fun and added to the challenge.

Short putting meter
I think it made 2003 putting quite easy from memory. Not sure if I should ban myself from using it.

Mod green speeds
Despite criticism back in the pre Links 2003 days that the green speeds were ridiculously slow, they are fun to play.
The old speeds are great as you can putt on greens that do have huge slopes.
I'm thinking I may use a combo of the old speeds and mod speeds depending on severity of greens. This would make almost any course playable regardless the type of greens. By setting the right speed for the greens, any greens can be made playable and a challenge to play.

Anyone else set up their Links 2003 in this way or any other particular way?
I'm happy to read any ideas as once I set the game up, it's likely going to stay like this forever!
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Re: Decisions, decisions

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 3:12 am Last time I would've played Links 2003 would've been 2016!

Been hooked on LS 2000 last few years. Just finished my LS 2000 season and now I'm going back to 2003 for a while.
It'll kinda be fun because I'll be switching from being a Pro player in the past to Champ click.

I'm about to set up the Links 2003 season but can't decide on a few things. I have some extra options in 2003 that aren't there in 2000. Not sure after playing 2000 and really enjoying it if I should use the 2003 additional features. I'm speaking of:

Green Analyzer
It was fun shooting to greens not being sure if you are shooting to the correct location on the green. Trying to remember the greens over knowing exactly where to aim was a lot of fun and added to the challenge.
The GA is optional. It is not automatic. It has to be hand-selected each time you want to use it.
Still Linksing wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 3:12 am Short putting meter
I think it made 2003 putting quite easy from memory. Not sure if I should ban myself from using it.
The short meter is also optional. If you don't select it in the game options menu, you can toggle between them any time you want in a game by clicking the tiny magnifying glass on the swing meter.
Still Linksing wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 3:12 am Mod green speeds
Despite criticism back in the pre Links 2003 days that the green speeds were ridiculously slow, they are fun to play.
The old speeds are great as you can putt on greens that do have huge slopes.
I'm thinking I may use a combo of the old speeds and mod speeds depending on severity of greens. This would make almost any course playable regardless the type of greens. By setting the right speed for the greens, any greens can be made playable and a challenge to play.
Agreed...
Still Linksing wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 3:12 am Anyone else set up their Links 2003 in this way or any other particular way?
I'm happy to read any ideas as once I set the game up, it's likely going to stay like this forever!
Not sure about the previous versions, but with 2003 you can toggle between 3 different golfer views. Close-up, medium and far away. The hot key is ALT+V

Every tried Powerstroke? Once you master it, you won't go back. :)

Good luck, and welcome to wide-screen mode.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 5:00 am
Every tried Powerstroke? Once you master it, you won't go back. :)

Good luck, and welcome to wide-screen mode.

Dan
Yes, tried Powerstroke. Sorry, not for me.
Only type of mouse swing I ever found any good was Tiger Woods 2003.

What's wide-screen mode? Surely you don't think I will play Links 2003 in wide-screen??? :scared: No chance.
Spent years playing the old golf games and all other old games in widescreen. Best thing I ever did was go back to 4:3 for this stuff.
What did I buy this Christmas? Yes, another 19 inch 1280x1024 monitor for future proofing purposes! :thumbup: :clapping: :laugh:

I do know GA and putting meter are options. Trying to decide if I will use those options. Always did in the past but I'm thinking playing 2000 without such options was totally enjoyable. Don't think I want to use them again in 2003. GA is very tempting though only because I want to see if it still crashes on my Win 10.

View, I always used close-up. Happy to stick with it.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 5:28 am What's wide-screen mode?
OK, hi-rez mode. lol.. where they zoomed in a 4:3 picture so both sides touch, but it cuts off part of the top and bottom. And then they called it wide screen, hi rez. :smile:

One of the past game options that I remember, and really liked, and then they left it out of the next version, was the "DROP" option. You could literally drop your golfer anywhere on the course, like up near, or on the green, to get a good look at it before you hit. However, it would not allow you to save the drop and hit from there. But it would let you go up examine a green from any angle. :whistle: Can't remember which version that was. :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 7:10 amOne of the past game options that I remember, and really liked, and then they left it out of the next version, was the "DROP" option. You could literally drop your golfer anywhere on the course, like up near, or on the green, to get a good look at it before you hit. However, it would not allow you to save the drop and hit from there. But it would let you go up examine a green from any angle. :whistle: Can't remember which version that was. :dunno:
Are you sure? I can't remember any Links version doing this. Anyone who remembers or knows which version?
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 9:05 am
Danny D wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 7:10 amOne of the past game options that I remember, and really liked, and then they left it out of the next version, was the "DROP" option. You could literally drop your golfer anywhere on the course, like up near, or on the green, to get a good look at it before you hit. However, it would not allow you to save the drop and hit from there. But it would let you go up examine a green from any angle. :whistle: Can't remember which version that was. :dunno:
Are you sure? I can't remember any Links version doing this. Anyone who remembers or knows which version?
Yup, positive! Are you sure you couldn't do it in 2000, or 2001? If you've never actually tried it, you won't know that it will allow it. It was something I was doing back when I was on dial-up, not long before Links2003 came along. Just for kicks, test your early versions. Take a drop and see if it will let you drop up near the green. 2003 won't allow you to drop closer to the hole. This one would let you actually drop near the green, but it won't allow you to continue. Only choice was to go back to where you were...
Completed Courses
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 9:47 am
Still Linksing wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 9:05 am
Yup, positive! Are you sure you couldn't do it in 2000, or 2001? If you've never actually tried it, you won't know that it will allow it. It was something I was doing back when I was on dial-up, not long before Links2003 came along. Just for kicks, test your early versions. Take a drop and see if it will let you drop up near the green. 2003 won't allow you to drop closer to the hole. This one would let you actually drop near the green, but it won't allow you to continue. Only choice was to go back to where you were...
Ok, had no idea about that. Might be a while before I play one of the old versions but when I do, it'll be one of the first things to try.
Going to take forever now just to set up a season in Links 2003. 200 names to edit, set up the tournaments etc etc. I wish they also left in the old simpler tournament option from other Links versions. Would be nice to have a choice.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dick burt

Post by dick burt »

"What's wide-screen mode? Surely you don't think I will play Links 2003 in wide-screen??? :scared: No chance.
Spent years playing the old golf games and all other old games in widescreen. Best thing I ever did was go back to 4:3 for this stuff.
"

I hate wide screen playing links!
The last monitor I found was 19" max.
Did you find anything else? Or did you adjust the wide screen monitor to
show 4:3?
Thanks
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dick burt wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 3:14 pm "What's wide-screen mode? Surely you don't think I will play Links 2003 in wide-screen??? :scared: No chance.
"

Thanks
Yes, 19 inch. It's the ideal monitor option if you don't want widescreen. If you do want a bigger screen size as well as no widescreen, then there is no way of doing that other than making compromises. I'm totally happy with the size, you get used to it. Heck, in the old days 19 inch was huge, many people ran 17 inch screens. I have one of those as well.

The best things is, the older I get, the stronger glasses I will need and the bigger the screen will become! :clapping: :laugh:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Still Linksing wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 3:43 pm
dick burt wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 3:14 pm "What's wide-screen mode? Surely you don't think I will play Links 2003 in wide-screen??? :scared: No chance.
"

Thanks
Yes, 19 inch. It's the ideal monitor option if you don't want widescreen. If you do want a bigger screen size as well as no widescreen, then there is no way of doing that other than making compromises. I'm totally happy with the size, you get used to it. Heck, in the old days 19 inch was huge, many people ran 17 inch screens. I have one of those as well.

The best things is, the older I get, the stronger glasses I will need and the bigger the screen will become! :clapping: :laugh:
When I was young, TV was black and white, and not long before that, there was no TV. When I play golf I draw the screen scene on a piece of white papyrus using a piece of charcoal from my cooking fire. Then I draw my player in and imagine what it would look like for him to hit the ball. Up, up, up and then down and into the hole! So far my best score is an 18! :thumbup:

My HDTV is a 70 inch 4k widescreen. Couldn't find it in 4:3, doggoneit! And a few years ago when I was just old, I had my cataracts removed and no longer need glasses. Now that I'm actually older than dirt, my vision is perfect, and I can see my golf ball more than 150 yards away! Darn! :rant:

These young whipper-snappers don't know how good they could've had it! :rofl:

Pete

(My desktop monitor is a 23" Samsung HDTV, and at 1680 x 1050 the picture looks like a photograph - perfect!)