Career Mode

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Dr golf

Career Mode

Post by Dr golf »

A quick question...........Do any of you play the career mode? I just discovered it after all this time. And if so, how often do you play? Thank you all

Steve
Adelade

Re: Career Mode

Post by Adelade »

Im currently on my 7th Career Mode season since 2018, did a few 12-week ones first but most of them were 24-week. How often I play varies a lot, sometimes one round per day, sometimes I go a few months without playing anything, but I keep coming back to it.

Career Mode in its default state is pretty bad. The AI Roster is scoring quite weird, and the default seasons only use the 6 original Microsoft Courses. But if you take the time to customize the roster's scoring variables and customize seasons, it can become a very good experience. You can find some roster and season downloads in the "Links Career & Career Simulation Downloads" forum sections. I havent tried those myself, I prefer to customize on my own, but Im pretty sure that everyone should find at least some of them a LOT better than the default ones. In case you're interested in customizing on your own, feel free to let me know if you want to be pointed towards some useful info in how to go about it.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
MrT

Re: Career Mode

Post by MrT »

By Career Mode, do you mean Links Career for tournaments?

It took me a little bit to learn most/all the nuances. But I came a long way. I have created my own rosters with real names and I have redefined the parameters of at least the top 20-25 players who are my direct competition. For the rosters to be effective I had to erase my previous careers and start over.

I also made the prize money the same for all stages so I can have a competition on "points" competing for whom has the best overall season vs. my opponents. Otherwise a few very rich tournaments would have a disproportionate importance, as in real life. This way it is more fun for me.

Duration-wise, I tended to go for the most number of weeks (36?), but more recently 24. 36 requires to play a lot of boring courses. And I created some career modes where I play only the most famous courses over 12 week periods. I have multiple seasons ongoing at the same time as I use 3 players with different clubs in their bags.

I found that I do prefer 2 rounds per tournament as I get easily bored. Conditions are set the same for all stages: M/Fc, Pro, Mid-level of difficulty, Gusty Winds and occasionally Windy. Never below gusty.

How often do I play? When I start a tournament, I usually bring it to the end trying to play one round per day. Occasionally 2. Hardly ever more than 2 rounds per day, unless I have absolutely nothing to do with my life.

This game is really something if one stops to think that it is an old game after all. I guess that is what separates the men from the boys .....