Links not opening on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
morvio100

Re: Links not opening on windows 11

Post by morvio100 »

@ "Tomorrow I'll try the last patch, Direct X wrapper, today it doesn't work,
I'm still playing Links2003 with two buddies today, I still have to warm up a bit.".... good old Titus :laugh: ....whatever drugs your on bro..I thinks the rest of us want them..I log into this thread every couple of days ...it's like reading the funny pages...Titus for President ..thats what I say....best of luck Titus ....there goes one hardcore Linkster ..that goes out of his way..just to play the best golf sim out there ...Bravo Titus ....you can now say to your friends ..if they ask you of course "do you play Links2k3"...your response should be "do I play Links2k3" .."I've only gon and built an entire desktop//"specifically to play Links2k3"....thus "I can now regard myself as a (Hall a famer Linkster)....Bravo I say...... :clapping:
Titus

Post by Titus »

:thumbup: :yes: :cheers1:

yes, I've been fighting with this PC for seven months now. :whistle:
Titus

Post by Titus »

morvio100 wrote: September 8th, 2022, 5:18 pm Hey Titus...it's got zero to do with cpu...install the official Final.exe (Adelade was correct) ...the problem you now have is you were unnecessarily copying regisry. files in the past(always a disastrous thing to do)../ NB ...uninstall what you have currently...MAKE SURE YOUV'E COMPLETELY uninstalled what you have... go back to the registry to check Links2k3 is not listed under Microsoft games,,,install the official dl'd exe from Links - https://www.linkscountryclub.com/ (INSTALL THE REQUIRED PATCHES THAT ARE LISTED ON THAT PAGE)- dont bother with the graphics.txt file you wont need that...if the game installs and runs (and you have a full Links2k3 directory under Microsoft games)... go back to registry and in the display folder make sure - device is set to 1- (regardless of what error msgs;s you get at first - the game might not run at all until you've set THAT REG ENTRY - "DEVICE 1) your system and Links will do the rest......see if you can the game to run first...my guess is you've been tinkeing with the registry(copying files) of your good machine..best of luck..is see a fresh install of Windows 11 in your near future .lol....
Hallo,
I'm scared, I did it as Doug instructed, I put the four *.Dlls in the Links2003 folder. I saved my settings via the dgVoodoo 2.7 Control Panel. This creates a new dgVoodoo.conf file in Links2003. So far so good. Launched links several times and ran it once in 800x600, created a new player and exited links. I'm in regedit to see what's there. Set device to 1 and it won't start.

This setting is from my PC2 where Links2003 is still running, here I have no - device on 1
regeditLinks2003.PNG
regeditLinks2003.PNG (88.23 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Titus, you now it seems have Links2k3 installed correct, you have a full directory..make sure the device setting in changed from 0 to 1...you may have to experiment with the resolution setting - currently set at 14 - depending on your current resolution ....someone will direct you to a post that has a chart/list - that details the resolution settings - I'm too lazy to look for it >...when you run dg..vdoo make sure ..keep aspect ratio is ticked on the general tab..and on both nglide/and direct tabs...set the resolution to max/also on the directx tab make sure ...dgvvodoo 3d acceleration in selected.../ also there 3 glidedll's in the dgvoodoo you need to install in the Links2k3 main directory on your c/drive but theres two sets of them ..put the whole six in the main directory theres 2 sets of dll's 1for x86 1 for 64 bit so put the whole six in to be safe.(you only need the x86 dll's).. if the game still doesnt run ..go back in to links2k3 directory on your c/drive and delete the dgvodoo confg.file in there..dgvodoo will have a config file in its own folder..nb "if the game dont run after all that " // go back in to links2k3 directory on your c/drive and delete the dgvodoo confg.file in there..//// "Titus for President I say... :laugh: ...best of luck bro...ps keep experimenting with that resolution setting and you'll get it to work..
Last edited by morvio100 on September 11th, 2022, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hello Morvio100,
unfortunately no, this is not the regedit of the problem PC.
My question was, does it have to be Device 1?
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Yes...make sure device is set to 1... :thumbup:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

What does the Device setting do, morvio? Are you sure it needs to be changed? I've never seen any other RegEdit guide for Links mention that specific setting.

Personally, I have never done any RegEdits for Links, because I've never needed to. The Nvidia patch and the dgV wrapper is all I've needed in order to play on the resolutions that I've wanted to play on (but that may be because I've never desired to play Links on the larger resolutions thus far, I might end up using the RegEdit for my upcoming pc).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: September 10th, 2022, 7:56 am Been looking at the 1650S or 1660S, but recently RTX 3050 popped up as an option, and I might be leaning towards that one at the moment. Was wondering, can anyone confirm they've gotten Links to run with either of those GPUs?
I've been running the GeForce 1660 ti for nearly a year with no issues.
No matter where you go, there you are.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Adelade @"What does the Device setting do, morvio? Are you sure it needs to be changed? I've never seen any other RegEdit guide for Links mention that specific setting"....all I can tell you Adelade is..thtas what worked for me...think way back in the day I tried entering my video card name into the graphics .txt file to no avail (intel 620 Intergrated graphics on a laptop)...but when I set that setting to 1....the game auto picked up the card...it ran.. but at the wrong res...went back to the reg and set that mode to 14..game ran at the right res...no sky...dug up dgv..then all good... :thumbup:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: September 11th, 2022, 12:15 pm What does the Device setting do, morvio? Are you sure it needs to be changed? I've never seen any other RegEdit guide for Links mention that specific setting.

Personally, I have never done any RegEdits for Links, because I've never needed to. The Nvidia patch and the dgV wrapper is all I've needed in order to play on the resolutions that I've wanted to play on (but that may be because I've never desired to play Links on the larger resolutions thus far, I might end up using the RegEdit for my upcoming pc).
Adelade, I"ve never gone into regedit to change "Device Setting" especially not on this W11 system, but it's set to 1. Just checked. Perhaps the "Nvidia" patch does that when run, while also allowing for higher resolutions in the game without having to go into the registry.
No matter where you go, there you are.