Newbie question - re Swing types

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
pmgolf

Re: Newbie question - re Swing types

Post by pmgolf »

I was speaking of full shots only. I don't know about flop/punch shots - it's been too long for me to remember that, I play RTS.

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I've been a clicker since I first got Links386 (or whatever it was called). I've never sensed a different swing speed with any shot, and certainly not a sand shot. This includes chips, flops, and full shots from sand. The only difference with a sand shot is that 5 o'clock on the meter is the optimum target, as opposed to 6 o'clock with all other swings.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I made several attempts last night to create an instructional video for powerstroke, with very little success. The problem is my computer is not powerful enough to run both the Movavi Screen Capture software and Links at the same time. I can run them both, but they draw 100% of my CPU power, and that causes the Links PS swing meter to have so much lag that it's pretty much useless and completely uncontrollable. I was able to make a few decent swings, but it was so frustrating I finally gave up.

I could make a demonstration and talk my way through what I am trying to accomplish, but I just can't accomplish good enough swings to make good demonstrations. I'd make 1 or 2 decent swings in 10 or 15 mulligans. I can most likely get the point across about how it's done, but I would be embarrassed to release something like that to the public as a demonstration. I may try again and turn back some of the graphics in Windows and Links, but I'm not so sure that will work any better. If I can come up with something reasonably acceptable, I'll let everyone know.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
dko

Post by dko »

Dan, I must admit I am curious about PS even if I never switch from Classic, as I had no idea how to make it work. I hope you can succeed at making a demo.

As for others' comments on Classic swing speed, I think you're all correct as it doesn't seem logical (or possible?) for the speeds to be any different; probably just an impression I had.
Doug
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

I just upgraded my system and my swing speeds are way different. Not only that, but they are different from one swing to next. Except for the putter swing. I use classic. Makes it impossible to play this game with any consistency. I'll have to give up playing on the tour until I find a solution. :dunno:
jwgriffingca

Post by jwgriffingca »

I now play PS exclusively, usually at Pro level. I used to play Click and just got tired of it being so predictable and formulaic. I tried RTS for a while but it never fully appealed to me - again, it seemed a little too mechanical to me. PS took a bit to get the hang of it, but I quickly got hooked as it seems to be more "feel-based" to me. Different strokes for different folks! :laugh:

I'm going to try to attach a couple PDFs that are PS tutorials, or at least a bunch of hints and tips. I can't remember if I got these as PDFs back in the day, or if I saved them as PDFs from the original websites. Anyway, they were helpful to me starting off with PS. PS is a little hard to describe how to do, it's now so natural to me that it's second nature.

John
Attachments
PowerStroke for Beginners by Andy Jacobs.pdf
(57.9 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
PowerStroke Article by Rick Doty.pdf
(114.31 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I just read the Andy Jacobs pdf...that advice is pretty darn good for us clickers too. I tried PS'ing a while ago and nearly tossed my mouse in the trash! :laugh:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

jwgriffingca wrote: June 13th, 2022, 11:43 pm I now play PS exclusively, usually at Pro level. I used to play Click and just got tired of it being so predictable and formulaic. I tried RTS for a while but it never fully appealed to me - again, it seemed a little too mechanical to me. PS took a bit to get the hang of it, but I quickly got hooked as it seems to be more "feel-based" to me. Different strokes for different folks! :laugh:

I'm going to try to attach a couple PDFs that are PS tutorials, or at least a bunch of hints and tips. I can't remember if I got these as PDFs back in the day, or if I saved them as PDFs from the original websites. Anyway, they were helpful to me starting off with PS. PS is a little hard to describe how to do, it's now so natural to me that it's second nature.

John
Hi JW. Rick Doty and I were friends at Golfcom.com back in the day when he was playing, and we played many rounds together. He played champ level PS, and when I played with him, so did I. A lot of things have changed since he wrote that PDF. For one, we used ball mouses back then. They were MUCH easier to control than the new USB optical mouses. I had to give up PS when I changed over to an optical USB mouse. It became so erratic and inconsistent that I never knew what may happen from one swing to the next. Back when I used the ball mouse, I had even developed a way to hit draws and fades by making straight-thru swings with the mouse turned at a slight angle. I even made a tutorial on it back then, but there's no way it will work with an optical mouse. The most stable port for a ball mouse for me was the old serial ports. Then they went to PS/2 ports. I was OK thru those years, but when I had to switch over to the USB ports, PS, for me, became erratic. It may have been the DPI factor. Not sure, but it was so erratic and frustrating, I finally gave it up. I really hated that, because like most serious PSers, that swing method felt the most realistic for Links. My tempo and swing timing actually improved my real golf game. In the real game, I would imagine the timing and tempo of PS and try to replicate it. It was amazing how similar they felt.

I think we all develop our own ideas of how we perceive things to function with PS. I disagree with Rick's notion that speeding up the sensitivity increases the CHS. I believe changing the sensitivity allows you to match your swing tempo with the time it takes for the club to hit the snap the most consistently. My theory is, if the sens is too high, you will miss the snap late more often. If the sens is too low, you will come up short of the snap more often. I believe you change the sens to match your tempo, and not change your tempo to match the sens. But then again,, for me, the whole thing changed when I went to USB ports. I still believe it's DPI and mouse driver related. I even tried using a USB to PS/2 adapter with a ball mouse, but it remained erratic and uncontrollable, which lead me to believe it's the port technology. :sad: Still, my passion was always with the PS swing, when it worked properly for me.

Thanks for the PDF's and best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Thank you John....great addition to the post...and forum.. dl'd... :thumbup:...also will someone explain as to how backspin is generated with the PS ...typically with 3 click,, depending on a few factors such as club head angle/loft ,shot power and type -/typically with a punch/going a club short(and over hitting the shot), you can typically generate quite a bit of backspin, even with a tailwind/breeze(to decelerate the ball on the bounce),...how is achieved with the PS swing type???....

Thanks
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I know of no way to "generate" back spin intentionally any time you want to. I know that's not exactly what you asked, but I'm trying to convey to you that it can't really be done. Backspin will happen depending on many things. For example, adding loft to a shot, hitting uphill and into the wind, playing on soft greens etc etc. One sure way to get backspin is to play soft greens and hit uphill into the wind with a lofted club. Hitting shots like that on soft greens with full swings will produce backspin. Hitting the same shot on firm greens will produce less backspin, or none at all. Those have been my experiences thru the years, and it doesn't make any difference what swing type you are using.

To avoid spin, hit softer, less lofted clubs. Hard swings with more lofted clubs on soft greens will produce the most spin. You don't apply it yourself. You just have to play enough and gain enough experience to recognize when it's going to happen.

My experience tells me the game itself will give you backspin when you don't want it, like when a pin is close to the back of the green and you carry a shot all the way back to it, pin high. Sure enough, the game will inevitably apply so much unwanted backspin that you will suck all the way back to the front of the green. Or at least that's what seems to happen to me when the pins are near the back. :rofl:

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses