Las Joyas - Using recommended course settings???

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
morvio100

Las Joyas - Using recommended course settings???

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Linksters, just a quick question, anyone encountered, almost impossibly fast greens when playing this course using recommended course settings for ,green hardness/and speed, this is a great course, when played with moderate-difficult/challenging settings for both, but using recommended settings it is impossible to get the ball to stay on a green,..... :helpsmilie:
pmgolf

Re: Las Joyas - Using recommended course settings???

Post by pmgolf »

Not all courses were set up with course settings - or so I was told. Have you seen anything saying that Las Joyas was? It's not on my list. :dunno:

Pete
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Thanks Pete, was just wondering.....plays great with the above mentioned settings ...try the course with course settings ....near nigh impossible to get an iorn - fairway/or tee shot to stay on the green..... :cheers1:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

pmgolf wrote: April 26th, 2022, 10:51 pm Not all courses were set up with course settings - or so I was told. Have you seen anything saying that Las Joyas was? It's not on my list. :dunno:

Pete
Las Joyas was released in 2004 probably back then as a P2P course then okayed by Mike Jones for free release in 2017 where he updated to HD.
https://linkscorner.org/courses/index.p ... Mike+Jones
HD to me is textures and how graphical course can be displayed to look on monitor. Thinking that challenging conditions introduced about 2007, so even if were able to choose course conditions as suggested by course's designer that courses before then would not be of challenging conditions.

The list mentioned was in post started by MrT.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1517&start=10
Re: Technical questions about the game.
Post by gator » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:44 pm
Adelade wrote: ↑Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:41 am
...I think gator gave me a list of them a while back...
pmgolf wrote: ↑Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:41 pm
Course conditions are selected by choosing "Course Speed using Course Conditions" and "Course Firmness using Course Conditions" in the drop-down menus when choosing green Speed and green Hardness for your round. They have nothing to do with Stimp.
Several years ago, Armand, compiled/posted on the old forum a list of courses where the designer(s) included specific hardness/firmness and speed settings. You would access these designer included settings in the manner Pete previously described.
Information I have on those courses:
Course conditions.jpg
Course conditions.jpg (293.93 KiB) Viewed 319 times
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Thanks but no thanks, Gene... :yawn:
MrT

Post by MrT »

morvio100 wrote: April 26th, 2022, 10:23 pm Hey Linksters, just a quick question, anyone encountered, almost impossibly fast greens when playing this course using recommended course settings for ,green hardness/and speed, this is a great course, when played with moderate-difficult/challenging settings for both, but using recommended settings it is impossible to get the ball to stay on a green,..... :helpsmilie:
After your message I went to try the course. As nice as it is, there are now so many courses that there is no chance to play them all more than once or twice every 6 months or 12 months.

I only played it twice before in Mc/Mc (medium difficulty pin placements and gusty conditions) and at those settings it is playable (I scored Even, even).

However, you are right: if I use the recommended course settings, bizarre things dohappen. Really bizarre.
I put the ball on the fringe on purpose (hole 1) and then I hit really lightly, just little bit more than needed to send the ball from the fringe to the green.. Well, long story short, the ball went accelerating like crazy and ended up out of the green on the other side !! Tried several different shots, same outcome. I have never seen balls moving like that. Not even in Fc/Fc.
In fact, I tried playing it in Fc/Fc and the first 3 holes were playable (scored even on all three, difficult pins). It is absolutely bizarre in recommended settings. I think that Fc/Fc already does not provide a realistic feeling, frankly, but at least the first 3 holes were playable.

I have no clue what settings are those recommended. For sure never seen anything like that in over 600 games. :sad: :surrender:
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

For sure....(was a bit mystified how the greens where reacting)..a fabulous looking course, plays great when you experiment with green hardness/speed from the presets, so all good...

ps Round of applause to Ian Wells on his Victoria National, great work...+1.... :clapping:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Here is some information that found out looking as to when recommended course settings were introduced.
Take note of the line which made bold black print and underlined it below.
http://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-2003-v107
I highlight below only changes done for 1.07 mod done in 2008.

Changes in Links 2003 v1.07 Update (Including v1.05 changes)
Changes as of 06/19/2008
Widescreen support has been added including HD resolutions
Integration of MOD (v1.06) settings now known as Challenging conditions.
New Gusty wind option
Ability to use a course designer's physics for a particular course instead of the normal conditions.
Custom tees are now available. You can determine which tees you want to use on each hole
Ability to use custom clubs. New club models have been included in this patch
Microsoft has removed support for the in-game MatchMaker so support for Direct Connection has been turned on for LTS/LTF and the Links Tour(LSPN).
Introduction of LTF Tournaments for offline tour operators.
Added an option of allowing or disallowing chipping on the green
Fixed a problem in Links Tour (LSPN) events where alternate courses were not found properly
Fixed a few other bugs in the game that were found while working on the update.

With this information it just proves what I was trying to previously communicate that courses designed in early years of Links are not compatible with using course designer's recommended settings to play course. Thankfully 19 courses were mentioned as being ones could play with course designer's recommended settings. Afterwards course designers most likely took into thought what playing with challenging conditions might be and softened severe slopes on greens for their courses. Also there was a time being that real elevations for courses especially the greens could be used to design courses. Other than the course designer choosing an unfair pin placement or perhaps more on a slope surrounding pin settings of 18 possible---that could be only legitimate complaint that might happen in reproduction of any real course done or also for the case of some fictional course created, knowing that this is important to have play be fair. Thinking here just in terms of playability and not going down how course and surrounding areas might look. Many well thought of older courses can be played with challenging conditions only so long as a fair pin setting is checked out to use for each green of said course. For play using course designer's recommended settings it probably defaults to firmest/fastest ones possible for older and newer courses, other than the 19 mentioned was done for them. It would be interesting if a noted course designer currently putting out courses might weigh in on this subject clarifying it better. Also if the course designers of today do in fact set how their courses might be played. The only thing have seen is in course notes released with possible playing conditions that might be used and seldom are pin settings brought up unless is a real course hosting a major going back to when major tournament was last played at that certain course replicating playing it as pros did before then.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Great info gene....19 courses listed....??....cant see a list of said courses...maybe someone should post that list at some stage....I would imagine (noobie view) here that calibrating exact/or closes to actual fairway/and green physics must to be super difficult for designers...nonetheless the presets do just fine(plenty of them) to have a really enjoyable round of links2k3.....played a round on Royal Lytham and St Annes 2020 by Bill Bunning, Sean Landry, Adelade yesterday....fantastic work by all three designers...must be one of the best tourney courses....the way they incorporated the the crowds is fantastic...and the Clubhouse is a work of art....hope Sean Landry gets to complete his Royal Liverpool, is in Beta ..a siimilar course.....but looks to have great potentional..... :clapping:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

"Course Settings"

Augusta National (2010), Apr 7/10, Andrew Jones, AugustaNational2010_locked.crz, 166 mb
Hazeltine (2009) PGA Edition, Jan 3/10, Timothy Boche, Hazeltine 2009 PGA Edition.CRZ, 189 mb
Ardennes Dunes (GKR Version), Nov 15/09, Andrew Jones, ArdennesDunesGKRVersion_locked.crz, 60 mb
Volcano Island Golf Club (GKR Version), Nov 15/09, Andrew Jones, volcano island golf club.CRZ, 49 mb
TPC Boston 2008, Aug 27/09, Steve Avery, TPC_Boston_Beta.crz, 131 mb
Hazeltine (2009), Aug 5/09, Timothy Boche, Hazeltine 2009 Final.CRZ, 173 mb
*Hazeltine National Golf Club (2009), May 30/09, Timothy Boche, Hazeltine 2009 ExclusiveBeta.CRZ, 128 mb
Excelsior Golf Estate, May 23/09, Adriaan Maarschalk, excelsiorTE.CRZ, 161 mb
*Augusta National (2009), Apr 6/09, Andrew Jones, AugustaNational2009Final.crz, 166 mb
Kapalua Plantation Course (2009), Jan 1/09, Andrew Jones, Kapalua Plantation 2009.crz, 107mb (little > Medium, both)
**** Caution **** Carry distance out of rough reduced to 80 yds!
Devils Island (2008), Andrew Jones, Devils Island 2008.crz, 44 mb
Cog Hill No. 4 - Dubsdread (2007), Sep 2/08, Tim Hagen, coghill_locked.crz, 83 mb
Enniscrone - The Dunes (OWGC), Jul 7/08, Andrew Jones & Stewart Parker, Enniscrone(OWGC).CRZ, 81 mb
TPC at Sawgrass, Stadium Course (2008), May 8/08, Andrew Jones, Sawgrass2008.crz, 115 mb
*Augusta National (2008), Apr 8/08, Andrew Jones, AugustaNational2008Final.crz, 132 mb
*Augusta National (2008), Apr 1/08, Andrew Jones, AugustaNational2008.crz, 132 mb
*Kapalua Plantation Course (2008), Jan 4/08, Andrew Jones, KapaluaPlantation2008.crz, 82 mb - ChCs = FcFc

Bear in mind, you may encounter other changes besides faster greens like more severe rough.

Pete