Links Pro Mod

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
MrT

Links Pro Mod

Post by MrT »

Hi guys, yesterday via e reply by gene_golf I became aware that there exists a pro-mod version of Links where the game allows for longer distances with clubs than in the regular game. A search on the internet brought up the following link:

http://linksassistant.no-ip.info/prodistance.htm

I went there and it details the pro-mod very well. There is still an .exe file which downloads and runs. That created a new version of the game with a new desktop icon. (it creates a new folder inside the folder where Links 2003 is installed and does not modify other files as far as I could tell).

However, when I clicked of the new Links 2003 Pro Mod icon, the program does not start and complains about a/some .dll files not being there or whatever it is. Good news is that the regular version of the game still works fine.

I wonder if more experienced players are aware of what steps one should follow to install properly this version of Links, assuming that it can still be done. It appears that the upgrade was created almost 15 years ago. There is also some sort of warning according to which the distances would increase but only for Classic Swing. However, I am not finding that warning 100% clear to understand.

Thx.
gene_golf

Re: Links Pro Mod

Post by gene_golf »

@MrT, What you wrote is what I have experienced that despite having file in computer with Links that somehow unable to get pro mod distance to work despite clicking on the separate desktop icon.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

No matter where you go, there you are.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Well... it seems to work now... I am hitting longer!! Hooray...
MrT

Post by MrT »

I take it back.... I mean, yes, it installed and the player is equipped with clubs that, in theory, achieve longer distances. But, that is not what happens when I play. If anything, distances got shorter!!! Maybe the Pro-Mod does not work in RTS? I played an easy course that I know well.. When I prepare to hit clubs show a 10% more power roughly. But I seem to achieve 10% less. Maybe woods are getting further, but definitely irons are causing me to scratch my head in disbelief.

Fishy!
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I've heard it doesn't work with the RTS swing.

Pete
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

pmgolf wrote: April 13th, 2022, 12:59 am I've heard it doesn't work with the RTS swing.
Pete
From download notes:
Known Issues
1. The distance increase only applies to the Classic Swing. It will not increase the distance for Real Time Swing or Powerstroke.
2. Computer players do not seem to be able to take advantage of the distance increase.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

If you download Links Assistant and use the virtual tournament feature, check the thread out below first. The VT aspect has been greatly improved. It is now a standalone application and renamed to Golf Sim Virtual tournament (GSVT):

Golf Sim Virtual Tournament (GSVT)
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
MrT

Post by MrT »

Yes, classic swings it works.... Today, for first time ever in LInks at Kapalua hole # 18 I hit 401 yards!! with the "Pro Distance Mode". RTS, I wasted an entire afternoon testing and retesting and nope. And I swear it is even counterproductive for you get irons that hit a lot less further than announced and thus one "underclub"s him/herself.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

If could get pro mod utility to work would only want 20 yards plus for driver as have good feel for short irons, chip shots and sand shots using yardages for clubs currently have. Also in between distances are covered by using punch or flop shots. Clubs using now are 1w, 3w, 4w, 5w and 7w. The irons play are 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, pw, sw and lw. I used to play 1w, 3w and 5w along with 3i-lw. When played old clubs to get 240 yard distance that 4w now covers had to punch a 5w. Because Links came about same time as hybrid clubs or bulked up irons I feel that using 7w in Links going same distance and height is equal all in all with playing a 4i. Then again woods not being wood now days, instead being metal there really is no difference in a hybrid long iron and say a 7wood in terms of playability---perhaps only difference being terminology having different names. Interesting to find out how many pros and who they are today actually playing a 7w.
https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/dus ... hould-you/