Backspin

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
GMR

Backspin

Post by GMR »

Couldn't find it in the forums but does anyone know how to apply backspin to the ball? Thank you.
Jimbo

Re: Backspin

Post by Jimbo »

I find that anything from the LW to the SW will usually give you backspin, but try using the Flop shot-it will generally give you a nice backspin up to and including the 7 iron. You're sacrificing distance so be sure not to "underclub". You'll see the distance variances when you check the Flop distances-they tend to be on the "conservative" side, so trial and error will be the order of the day until you get comfortable.
Also, if you're looking for extra distance (because of wind or if you really think that you can get to a Par 5 green in 2) then try the Punch shot-it can add a lot of yardage to your short clubs, but tends to be less effective the "longer" you go.
Last edited by Jimbo on December 27th, 2021, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMR

Post by GMR »

Thanks Jimbo, a lot of good information. I'll give it a try.
guitarget2019

Post by guitarget2019 »

Set your greens to slow, and you'll see some serious back spin, especially from your wedges. :whistle:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

In my experience, and on Champ+Classic at least, the biggest factors for backspin, are:

-Green firmness setting, like guitarget2019 mentioned. Soft or Soft(Challenging) will almost always generate minor to extreme backspin. Moderate or Moderate(challenging) will generate backspin in some situations, Firm or Firm(challenging) almost never.
-Uphill or downhill slope on both the lie before the shot and the landing location. Uphill will create a lot more backspin.
-Club choice - more backspin for clubs with shorter distances.
-Headwind. On Windy, into a headwind, that will have a large effect on increasing chance and strength of backspin.
-Type of lie. Much harder to get backspin from regular rough than fairway/fringe, cant remember ever having any myself to be honest. Deep rough is likely impossible to get backspin from. I think some unusual texture properties like Ice or Undergrowth or Rocks might even have even more backspin than Fairway/Fringe(when playing from them) but Im not sure.

I think the settings under Advanced Shot Setup (accessible by right-clicking the swing meter) probably affects backspin as well, but Im not an expert about that since I never really bother using them except for draw/fade.

RTS and PowerStroke might have additional or different factors/settings.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GMR

Post by GMR »

Thanks a lot all. Appreciate the tips.
guitarget2019

Post by guitarget2019 »

Perfect example - play the 7th hole at Augusta with the softest greens. If you don't play the ball to come down past the hole in the fairway, it will rarely stay on the green. :surrender:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Oh I forgot to list one of the things I was thinking about - power of the swing (at least with Classic swing). For example, if you let the swing meter go past the 12-aclock spot, for a 110% power shot, you will have more back spin. Conversely, if one is worried about getting too much backspin in some situations, instead of choosing for example a full 7-Iron, one can try to hit a 6-Iron at maybe around 90% power to land in the same spot as the full 7-Iron, but with much less backspin.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
MrT

Post by MrT »

Adelade wrote: December 31st, 2021, 5:23 pm In my experience, and on Champ+Classic at least, the biggest factors for backspin, are:

-Green firmness setting, like guitarget2019 mentioned. Soft or Soft(Challenging) will almost always generate minor to extreme backspin. Moderate or Moderate(challenging) will generate backspin in some situations, Firm or Firm(challenging) almost never.
-Uphill or downhill slope on both the lie before the shot and the landing location. Uphill will create a lot more backspin.
-Club choice - more backspin for clubs with shorter distances.
-Headwind. On Windy, into a headwind, that will have a large effect on increasing chance and strength of backspin.
-Type of lie. Much harder to get backspin from regular rough than fairway/fringe, cant remember ever having any myself to be honest. Deep rough is likely impossible to get backspin from. I think some unusual texture properties like Ice or Undergrowth or Rocks might even have even more backspin than Fairway/Fringe(when playing from them) but Im not sure.

I think the settings under Advanced Shot Setup (accessible by right-clicking the swing meter) probably affects backspin as well, but Im not an expert about that since I never really bother using them except for draw/fade.

RTS and PowerStroke might have additional or different factors/settings.
I confirm pretty much all of what you wrote. Since switching to Mc/Mc or higher, backspin has almost completely disappeared. I can tell, because when I try to get backspin it almost never works. So, I check the replay of the shot and everything looks in order, but simply the ball does not roll back or if it does is a very moderate effect. I only see success if the green is sloped uphill.

In RTS, things are different because to get backspin (whatever little I can get) I need to hit the ball really nice so that it travels along a high parabola.If it does not go up quite a bit, the ball almost never back-spins. When playing in regular settings it was a different matter.

Since I switched to the new conditions, the biggest issue were chips from the fringe or near the fringe. The balls, if the green is even mildly downhill do not stop easily. I solved the problem using LW+flop (in RTS). LW+flop seems to stop the ball near where it lands with a high rate of success in performing that "maneuver" . I had an average of 0.75 chip-ins every 18 holes in regular settings. In challenging conditions I went down to 0.38. chip-ins every 18 holes. Now that I replaced chips with LW+flop at least I am not seeing balls running all over the greens. Spent a lot of time to practice, but back-spins are shy and do not want to be seen (by me, at least).
MrT

Post by MrT »

:oops:
Last edited by MrT on January 4th, 2022, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.