Links not opening on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
jackdanielz80

Links not opening on windows 11

Post by jackdanielz80 »

I just got a new computer with windows 11 and having problems getting the game to load correctly. Any suggestions? Thanks
RobV

Re: Links not opening on windows 11

Post by RobV »

Not able to Load correctly, as in it doesn't load at all? Or partially loads? Do you see anything at all? Little more info would probably be good..
jackdanielz80

Post by jackdanielz80 »

Sorry, not loading properly. Just bits & pieces.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Bits and pieces in the game menu, before it, or after loading a course? Do you get any error message?

Did you install patches 1.07 and Nvidia? Both available here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10

Sidenote, you posted a topic about windows 10 too, should we assume it is win 11 or win 10?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Some details about what is happening would be very helpful. Perhaps the steps that you took to install :inks, what kind of computer is it (desktop or laptop), what are you seeing?

These are the steps I take to install Links. Works every time. At least on every desktop that I've owned. Never had a laptop. Never felt the need.

Having to re install Links
Simple, follow these steps in order.

1 install Links
2 install v1.02
3 install v1.05
4 install v 1.07
5 install links NVIDIA patch
6 install lspn crash fix
7 install LSPN_MAIN_L2K3
Procedure,
Place all the files in the links main folder (including RuKsHuk.exe).
To install the patches, just double click on them, it will be done automatically.
Good luck, see you on the tees.
Robert (aka Obelix)

NB: LSPN_MAIN will set the proper IP within Links to play ON-LINE
No matter where you go, there you are.
jackdanielz80

Post by jackdanielz80 »

Hey guys, Thanks for all of the patch info, I installed the patches but it says "please login with administrator privileges". How do I do that? I never had this problem in the 20 plus years I have been playing. Thanks again, hopefully I am close to being able to play again. Jack
gator

Post by gator »

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Right-click on the Links Icon you should see properties click on properties then click the compatibility button run Links in Windows 7 and tick the box that says run as administrator. Hope this helps you.
pic1.png
pic1.png (22.13 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
pic2.png
pic2.png (31.04 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

jackdanielz80 wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 9:32 pm Hey guys, Thanks for all of the patch info, I installed the patches but it says "please login with administrator privileges". How do I do that?
I got rid of that Administrator privilege thing by changing the links installation from putting Links here:
c:\\Program Files (x86)\Links 2003\

to putting it here:
c:\\Links 2003\

so Links can be accessible without involving the Administrator. Windows has control of all that exist in the (x86) folder. But now, while I was typing, you have received advice on doing things when the \Program Files (x86)\ folder HAS been used. My way would require you to uninstall and reinstall without using that (x86) folder ANYWHERE in the Links installation. That's what you get when you have many guys trying to help you at once. They step on each other's toes with their advice. Good luck!

Pete
jackdanielz80

Post by jackdanielz80 »

Thanks gents for all of your suggestions, I may be a little closer to getting in, but NOW after loading the game like you said it says to "insert disc1" again. Jeez, this is so frustrating. I have deleted & reinstalled the game, maybe there is some small detail I am missing. Thanks again & happy holidays-Old Jack