Modifying links.exe

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
migolfer

Modifying links.exe

Post by migolfer »

Something I've always wondered: what is the origin of the "v1.07" patch of MS Links?
Did that come from Microsoft? I have always had the impression that it did not and that, somehow, it was done by the Links Community.
Anyone know?

If it was done outside of Microsoft. Uh. How?
I don't really know what is in that patch. I think 1024x1024 textures? And "faster green speeds"? Anyone have a list of what is in that patch? And who did it?

If it was done outside of Microsoft, what else could be done? I'm thinking along the lines of bumping up the maximum yardages of the clubs in the game. Right now the max Driver is, what, 280 yards? After watching (insert golf pro name here)** hit ridiculously long drives and later playing Whistling Straits (by Robert Miller, ty!) from the 8246 yard Ladies tees, I realized I wouldn't mind hitting it like those guys do but in Links (well, in the real world game too, hehe). Could that even be possible? A v1.08 release? I'm guessing not, but why not ask?

It would ruin most of the .crz's released to date, but players wouldn't have to use those modern yardages. Maybe it would be easier to just have the real pros dial back their yardages with a new ball or club manufacturing step-backs. Yeah, right.

** example: Paul Casey was 241 yards from the green on a par 5 (#16?? I forget) and he had an IRON in his hands! WTF?! How the h*ll can he hit it that far? Players were hitting 6-irons to #17 on Sunday from 220 yards out. In 10+ years, they'll be hitting pitching wedges. These 600 yard par 5's will be short par 4's.
pmgolf

Re: Modifying links.exe

Post by pmgolf »

This same subject comes along every couple of years by guys who haven't been around long. Basically, subject to minute correction by the same guys who always do it :yes: , back in 2007 some programmers who were familiar with the Links code made some changes to expand the features of Links - more green speeds and firmnesses among them. After that was done and put in place, somehow the program code was lost. Now there is no code that can be modified. No thousand yard drives - no aliens appearing on the back nine - nothing. You're stuck with the game as it is. Thank goodness it's a pretty great game! :thumbup: :clapping: :thumbup: :clapping:

Pete
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

It has always amazed me how the programme code was ' lost '
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I've seen it brought up many times in past 3 years but it is the first time I hear about the code being lost. Yeah, sounds more like something else really happened below the surface there.

migolfer, you may want to check out the bottom half of this post and the one below it: viewtopic.php?p=11745#p11745
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Maybe I (or we) should try nagging Microsoft to add the Links source code to the GitHub collection (their "open source"):
https://opensource.microsoft.com/collaborate/
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I'm not sure the code is lost, someone has it but they are either passed on, out of touch or are not going to give it up. I believe there were some people over at APCD-Courses (when they were around) did have some of the code and were able to make the mods. Unsure who it was and if it is even still available. I know people over the years have tried to contact Microsoft, Access and another company that had been involved in the creation of Links and were basically told that they would not be given the code. You could try if you like, it's been a few years since anyone has asked that I know of.

Glenn