Pin Selection drop down page.

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Ian Wells

Pin Selection drop down page.

Post by Ian Wells »

My old laptop has died so I have loaded Links2003 on a new laptop. So far all has gone well, including the "regedit" modification, which always frightens me.

When I select a course to play in Links I am unable to select the pins I want to use.

Will somebody please tell me what I need to do?

Thank you.

Ian
pmgolf

Re: Pin Selection drop down page.

Post by pmgolf »

Selecting Best Guess pins, or looking at all pins.

Best Guess pins: "Play Golf", "Practice". Select your course, conditions and player. For pins, choose "Easy", "Moderate" or "Difficult" pins. Please understand that no instructions were ever given for what difficulty each one of those settings should have, and course designers had to guess. That's why these settings are frequently very wrong.

Alternative: Choose "Custom" pins (click on the "Custom Pins" button and in the window that opens, check the "Show all pins" checkbox) When you start playing, all pin positions are displayed and you can select the level of difficulty you want by noting the pin position number. You can also pick the ball up and place it where you want (ie. while on the Tee, pick the ball up and place it on the green.) This is how Tournament Directors find their pins.

How to use the pins you want.

Select "Options", then "E-mail Tourney Setup".

Choose your course first. If you make some settings and then change your course, your settings will be lost.

Select galleries and Tournament objects. Understand that the Course Designer may not have put these in.

Select "Player Settings". The shown default setting works best. Select which tees you want to use (Select "Custom" if you want to choose specific pins).

Rules: (Default choice of "Stroke" recommended)

Mulligans / Gimmees / Chipping on green - your choice

Conditions: - your choice (click on the drop down arrow)
(If "Custom Pins" is chosen: you will have to click on the "Custom Pins" button to input your pin choices by hole)

Custom Tees (if chosen in Player Settings) Click on the button and choose which tees you want for any specific hole.)

Save your choices to a folder that you will be able to find again. When you start LINKS, select "Play Golf" and "Email Tourney" and find the file you just created to play it. It will be a .LTS file in the folder you put it in.

Pete

Ian, check the next post for an answer to your post about the greyed out button. I suspect an incomplete installation.
Last edited by pmgolf on August 1st, 2021, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Thanks Pete, but the Custom Pins is “greyed out”.
I played one round as an amateur and believed the Custom Pins tab was not available as an amateur. I then changed the players status to Pro, but the Custom Pins button is still not available.
Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Amateur level doesn't matter for custom pins. I'm wondering if you have installed all the pieces of the game. 1.07 patch? Is this the downloaded version of the game? Have you installed:
Links2k3_107_Final.exe, Links2K3_Down backup.exe, Links2k3_nvidia_win7_FINAL.exe, Links2K3_Players.exe?

I don't know of any way to grey out the "Custom Pins" selection. Have you set up a test player? Any courses? More info please!

Pete
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

The Custom Pins button is only clickable when 'Custom Pins are selected from the drop down.

Picture 1 - Easy pins selected so Custom Pins button greyed out.
easy-pins.jpg
easy-pins.jpg (21.53 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Picture 2 - Custom Pins selected and now the Custom Pins button is clickable.
custom-pins.jpg
custom-pins.jpg (22.53 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
If it still doesn't work for you I'm stumped. :dunno:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Andy, thank you.

Pete, thank you. I downloaded the Links files from Links Corner with the V1.07 and NVIDID patches.

Time dulls the senses, fortunately this forum is here to help me.

Ian