Acceptable Distance From Pin

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
FOOOOORE!

Acceptable Distance From Pin

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Wondering if anyone else does this: If my second shot distance from the pin is X yards, I consider an "acceptable" shot to be X/10 feet from the pin. e.g. Second shot is 160 yards, so I'm hoping and trying to be within 16 ft of the pin. It seemed a natural fit many years ago and I still judge my approach shots like that. I wonder if Tour players do something similar; they must have some number in mind to determine "That's OK" and "That's NOT OK".
Adelade

Re: Acceptable Distance From Pin

Post by Adelade »

Maybe on Pro Classic and easy conditions nearly all shots from X distance are about the same :whistle: but for me and the way I play the game, two shots from the same distance can be wayyy too different in difficulty for a system like that.

Sorry for being cheeky, just had to :tongue:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Adelade wrote: June 21st, 2021, 10:13 am Maybe on Pro Classic and easy conditions nearly all shots from X distance are about the same :whistle: but for me and the way I play the game, two shots from the same distance can be wayyy too different in difficulty for a system like that.

Sorry for being cheeky, just had to :tongue:
No need to be sorry, that's how I've always played the game, as a video game rather than "real" golf, which it obviously isn't. I record every game, but I don't bother to save a recorded game if I don't reach double figures under par. It's just a different way of playing. The challenge is definitely there, because to shoot that low it generally means no bogeys and you'd better score an eagle or two while you're at it. But even in real golf, I'm sure the pros are calculating what will be an acceptable second shot, distance as well as position relative to the hole.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 21st, 2021, 7:05 am they must have some number in mind to determine "That's OK" and "That's NOT OK".
When I was playing at my peak IRL, I seriously looked at being 1 meter (just outside 3 feet) from the pin or my aiming point. If I was 2-3 meters, yeah, ok, anything more than that and I'm PO'd.
I'd say pros would be the same or worse.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I'd say pros would be the same or worse.
I agree about the pros because they're usually trying for birdie, and putting on a real green is harder than the way I'm playing. Outside 10'/3m, they're likely resigned to accepting par because of a "poor" approach.