Ranking difficulty levels on greens [SOLVED]

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Adelade

Re: Ranking difficulty levels on greens

Post by Adelade »

I suggest easing into faster conditions little by little, try Mc/Sc or M/Mc first as an occasional step up from F/F and then once you've gotten used to that Mc/Mc wont feel as big of a next step upwards anymore :thumbup: Thats what I did anyway. But yes, custom pin positions help a LOT to make sure none ruins your day by being mid-slope, and are kind of essential once one starts using speeds above Mc/Mc. I've been meaning to share the custom pin library I've built up but I never seem to get around to it... because Im still in early days and I rarely play the same course twice in a row, so I mostly only have single round pins per course. Still, I think I'll post what I have so far someday soon and update it as I go.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
MrT

Re: Ranking difficulty levels on greens

Post by MrT »

Yes, Adelade, that is what I will do. Also, in consideration of the fact that the thing I would like to achieve the most is to play without top view like on a real golf course. So that is currently goal #1 for me and it is going to be plenty of challenge, in particular on older or less detailed courses where fairways are very difficult to read. Or I will use the top view as a map, but not to aim my shots.

After reading what was written here and doing some additional reading on internet, I realized that there is a trend towards faster and faster greens, but many golfers (real life golfers!) do not think this is necessarily all good. Nobody hates very slow greens more than me, likely, but still I do believe also that there is sometimes something like too much speed.

If all golf courses were set up to play with stimpmeter of 10-11 or even 12, the population of golfers is going to decline veeerryy fast. Just my opinion, of course, but life has shown me that I am a good reader of costumes and trends which led me to some success in the financial field, i.e. reading trends and fashions. It is difficult to motivate a newcomer who scores 120 and 60 of those shots are achieved on greens.

Ultimately, you are absolutely correct, speed should also consider the geometry of the specific green or else we would be transforming the PGA Tour into the PGA Mini-golf Tournament.

Thank you very much for your table a couple of days ago. Finally I got to understand the use of the stimpmeter and its relevance. :tiphat: