What are your system specs?

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Still Linksing

What are your system specs?

Post by Still Linksing »

What are your system specs and operating system? Be good and interesting info to know as I imagine the PC's types here would vary greatly.

Links 2003 runs on virtually any PC or operating system.
I've played Links 2003 on everything from very old systems using Win XP to my new modern system running Win 10.
I really think there are advantages and disadvantages to all types of systems.
Here's my breakdown:

Old PC's (Likely machines from the XP era)
AA worked, no jaggies, you had great visuals but redraw times were slow

Mid-Era PC's (Likely running Win 7 or 8)
AA stopped working, jaggies galore but redraw times were acceptable

Modern PC's (Likely running Win 10)
AA appears to be back in the form of FXAA and redraws are great

At this point in time, I believe a modern Win 10 machine is actually best for the sole purpose of Links 2003.
In saying this, Win 10 is risky as Links 2003 may completely stop functioning with the very next Win 10 update.
Win 10 is also more unpredictable with certain types of hardware/software combinations. While Links 2003 may work for most people fine on a modern machine, it may not be the case for everyone depending how your specific hardware, Win 10 and Links 2003 all interact.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Re: What are your system specs?

Post by pmgolf »

Strong PC for Links. A few jaggies, but not very noticeable. System specs via my free app: Speccy.
s_512113.jpg
s_512113.jpg (78.89 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Great little program Pete! We should all Speccy it. You can get it here:

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Here's mine:
Attachments
Speccy.jpg
Speccy.jpg (168.27 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
Golf Sim Clubhouse
gator

Post by gator »

gator specs.png
gator specs.png (134.74 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
Stu501

Post by Stu501 »

Not quite as highend as some machines, but links runs extremely well.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
I would like to thank my parents.....especially my mum and dad
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Stu501 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 8:26 am Not quite as highend as some machines, but links runs extremely well.
Surely there are many here using older machines running Win XP or Vista or Win 7 or Win 8???

I didn't start this thread to show off machine specs but was hoping to get a good idea of what us remaining Links 2003 players are using.
I'd love to see some older machines, specs, OS's.
I didn't even really want to post my new machine specs. It's a good machine, highest spec PC I've ever owned and I like it but I don't care about trying to show it off. I'm greatly looking forward to posting the specs of my XP machine I will use to run Links 2000 and NOLF. The XP machine is not set up atm as I'm busy transferring my Win 7 machine stuff to my Win 10 machine. When done, I'll plug the XP machine in and show the specs.

Speccy runs on any operating system I think so anyone can use it even on old systems.

Let's see some more vintage PC stuff! I don't want this to be a latest and greatest spec thread, I hate them. I would like to see what we are all using and it would be great to see some specs from older machines. :thumbup:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 7056 times
The motherboard and other main components are about 4 years old, but I upgraded to an SSD about 18 months ago when I also reinstalled Windows 10.
Touch wood I have never had any issues with Links or APCD. Would have liked to get a new PC this year but finances don't permit. However as the SSD is only 18 months old, I may just update my graphics card when I see a bargain. Not sure whether to go Nvidia or AMD, though the Nvidia DO seem less power hungry in the main.
g3b

Post by g3b »

...., I am curious what graphics card are you using on the win 10 machine?

Thanks for your reply,
g3b

:oops: I guess I am not reading the posts above mine too thoroughly...might be "ol-timers"...Lol
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

g3b wrote: September 10th, 2019, 6:17 am ...., I am curious what graphics card are you using on the win 10 machine?

Thanks for your reply,
g3b

:oops: I guess I am not reading the posts above mine too thoroughly...might be "ol-timers"...Lol
It shows under the graphics section in my Speccy screenshot. Nvidia 1660Ti.
The system is really good, I've got some newer games and I just set all sliders to max and get great frames.
I bought the components with possibly overclocking in mind but I don't think there really is any need except for running Flight Simulator X. I'm not going to overclock just for one game.

:oops: lol
Oh, I just read your oops line! haha
If you were trying to suggest you did find my graphics card info, I also missed your oops comment until after I typed the above post. Anyhow, I think we are all clear now. :thumbup: :laugh:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Here ya go ..... I probably have the oldest system in the group. I built it about 10 years ago, but it's still going strong today. It runs Links and the APCD extremely efficiently. As you are aware, I just built another one using the same model motherboard, and I maxed out the CPU and RAM. As soon as I get a chance, I'll run speccy on it and compare it to this one. At this point in my life, I see no need to get a new machine. I have more old games and programs that closer date the computers I have, so I'll see how long I can hang with my current hardware. Windows 10, to me, is a last resort.

Dan
Attachments
spcc.jpg
spcc.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added